Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #871

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I was at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago yesterday and spotted a guy with a red K-x and red kit lens. I spoke to him briefly, complimenting him on his choice of camera. He said it was a great camera, but didn't say anything about me holding a K-r. Maybe he got it just for the color, as he was wearing red also. I think if I bought a red or white K-r or K-x, I'd be tempted to shoot with the kit lens a lot. But it's really too short for the outdoor animal shots and too slow for the low light indoor habitat shots at the zoo.
The colored cameras do stand out; I saw someone with a white K-r at Bodie State Park last weekend.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an orange one.

07-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #872
Forum Member

Just a side note, as I flip through the countless posts about noticing a Pentax user here or there.

Should we feel bad or good about not being part of a mass market family of C or N?
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #873
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Should we feel bad or good about not being part of a mass market family of C or N?
Joy: I'm not just another Canikonympus clone!
Fear: Too few of us, and Pentax goes extinct...
07-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #874

Why worry whether Pentax will go extinct?

The cameras will still be around.

07-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #875
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Why worry whether Pentax will go extinct? The cameras will still be around.
Because I happen to rather like that my camera has Pentax on the prism. If my next camera ends up with "Ricoh" there so be it, but I sincerely hope not!

Too many people here selling their Pentax DSLR gear of late for me. It seems like every Pentax person in the area is dumping their brand new K-r or K-x kits on CL. (It makes me wish I had a lot more money that I do, seeing all those ads. There have been a few good deals of late. A guy today was selling his K-r, kit lens and the 55-300 for about $600!)

I don't know any of these people but I'm thinking they're not just upgrading if they're selling off the major lenses too, sigh. Lots of SLR stuff too but it's all been wildly overpriced of late. I'm talking people asking $300 and up for a K1000 or an ME Super, and maybe a really bad off brand lens or two. No old gear bargains here...
07-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #876

Here, too.

Those comments about the prices being asked for second hand kit struck home on this side of the pond, too. Some auction sellers seem to think that just because it's old it's a classic. Those of us who have grown up with some of the dodgy brands on offer just have to sit and smile!

Back on topic, a young colleague had his E410 go belly up and wanted to upgrade in the purchase of its replacement. He had had my Pentax sales push but wanted to buy locally and nobody had them. Canon won, but given his tender touch with delicate machinery I don't see it lasting long!
07-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #877
Loyal Site Supporter

I've made a few comments on this thread that here on the island, Pentax is doing OK. I do worry that most of what I see are a bit older, which I contribute to the usual short term squeeze one sees when a company is prepping for it's sale. All the Pentax billboards are down, the ads in the shops etc. So too are the prominent Pentax camera displays.

Hoya brought out a great couple of cameras, but in just a few years they did long term damage, which was more publicly visible to the Hoya brand than I think they realize. I just hope the new owner can hit the ground running as the missteps can't continue.
07-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #878
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Ran into a Pentax user at a geyser in Yellowstone. It was a minute or two after talking about the particular geyser that I noticed the brand, and mentioned something about it. He said his friend had all sorts of stuff and "a 1,000-dollar fisheye that does perfect fisheye shots". I pulled out my 10-17 and said "try this". He took a shot or two, and his son took a close-up of the dad's nose. We then went our separate ways, though we met up again at another geyser later. He asked if I'd take a shot of both of them. I said sure, and fired off a couple with his K10D set on green, with the kit lens.
My wife and I were at Yellowstone and Gran Teton last month and spotted more Pentaxs than I expected. The above user was not me but I do have the 17-28 fisheye. Anyway at one location there were six people with dslrs my wife and I with the K10d and K-r one person with a Canon, one with a Nikon and two others who did not seem together, with Pentaxs so in this case Pentaxians were a large majority. I also had a Nikon as borrowed a 200-400 4.0 lens (even if Pentax made one I could not afford it) and primarily used my Hasselblad film camera but also did shoot some with my Pentax film camera.

I think I have been noticing more Pentax straps on people than a few years ago. If Pentax is not becoming more common then perhaps they are just making straps that other people want.

07-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #879
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel Pentax dslr users are a rare lot due to following reasons:-

1.Not well established as a brand amongst dslrs. Canikon have gone way too ahead and its very very hard for pentax to overtake them. Probably the only place they could sort of try catching up is the enthusiast, semi pro, amateur segment.
2.Their cameras dont look 'pro' enough as far as appearances are concerned. Cameras such as the 5d mark 2 or d3s/x apart from having great internal features also have a great overall pro look to their cameras
07-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #880
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aruk5 Quote

1.Not well established as a brand amongst dslrs. Canikon have gone way too ahead and its very very hard for pentax to overtake them. Probably the only place they could sort of try catching up is the enthusiast, semi pro, amateur segment.
2.Their cameras dont look 'pro' enough as far as appearances are concerned. Cameras such as the 5d mark 2 or d3s/x apart from having great internal features also have a great overall pro look to their cameras
"Kind of" agree with #1. Disagree with #2. What defines a "pro" look? A K5 or even K10D with grip look plenty 'pro' to me. I also think the layout and handling count a bit more than a 'look', imo.

Last edited by paulh; 07-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.
07-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #881
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
people that use lens hoods
Wot you mean take them off the lens and turn 'em round and put them back on again. All that extra effort wont catch on.
07-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #882
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Wot you mean take them off the lens and turn 'em round and put them back on again. All that extra effort wont catch on.
Your right. Silly me. Lets just all go out and buy $600-1000 of camera and lens but not use the little piece of plastic the company thought we would need and gave us.

DAZ
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aruk5 Quote

#1 is circular reasoniing. PENTAXIANS ARE RARE BECAUSE PENTAX HASN'T SOLD AS MANY CAMERAS AS CANIKONYMPUS (CNSO). Maybe Pentax isn't #1 because the firm hasn't had the resources of CSNO to market the highly-acclaimed K-cams... which have been gaining market share lately, even with Hoya's lousy-to-nonexistent marketing. IMHO Ricoh has a good shot at re-establishing Pentax as the leader it once was.

#2 is absurd. Canikony FF's look/feel 'pro' because they're huge honking hunks of hardware. The Pentax 645D is just as 'pro'. Little plastic Canikon crop-cams feel like toys. People like toys, so Pentax will make toys too: Q etc. I will grant that Pentax isn't a 'pro' brand, because of a) lack of a full lens line, and b) lack of a pro support network worldwide. Again, that's a matter of resources. We shall see whether Ricoh is interested in turning Pentax into the pro leader.

We're in a profound imaging revolution. Phonecams are collapsing the P&S market just as PDFs are killing the copier market. (Those are two main reasons Ricoh is buying Pentax.) Image capture, processing, display and storage technologies are changing increasingly rapidly. Video is ubiquitous, and is now disseminated online rather than on plastic carts and discs. What comes next? 3D/holo, ultra-res, light-field, expanded spectra, pincam arrays, stuff we haven't ever heard of yet? We shall see...
07-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #884

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
"Kind of" agree with #1. Disagree with #2. What defines a "pro" look? A K5 or even K10D with grip look plenty 'pro' to me. I also think the layout and handling count a bit more than a 'look', imo.
Shooting (very carefully) with a friend's D3X felt like I was holding an unbalanced rock. At the same time, the friend was shooting with my K7. He loved how the camera fit into his hand - but complained about the perceived picture quality (sigh).
07-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #885
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Shooting (very carefully) with a friend's D3X felt like I was holding an unbalanced rock. At the same time, the friend was shooting with my K7. He loved how the camera fit into his hand - but complained about the perceived picture quality (sigh).
I guess this only emphasizes how perception is influenced by preconception. Your friend had already bought into Nikon, so it probably wouldn't have mattered if the comparison was to a, say, D3 or D700 or even one of Nikon's APS-C models. Our perception of the world is heavily influenced by our mind-set; most likely one of the reasons philosophers are so fond of saying none of us can actually perceive "reality".

Which leads directly into what RioRico just said: "We're in a profound imaging revolution."
More so than ever "image is everything". I wonder how Canon would be faring in the present had they chosen someone other than Andre Agassi as their spokesperson back in 1992. Agassi was still very much an outlaw to the tennis establishment. What if Canon has picked a rising Baseball star instead? Barry Bonds was just coming off a 2nd MVP year and he was just becoming a legend, though still an enigma. Canon could have made that work in promoting the EOS Rebel. Just think how that would have played out when Bonds became the poster boy for Steroid use in sports.

What does it mean for Pentax and Pentaxians? For one, at least to me, it means Pentaxians are more apt to look beyond our preconceived notions in order to better comprehend the overall value of a system. Second, it means Pentax by Ricoh will need to promote their image in ways they never have yet. Asahi/Pentax was far too conservative in this regard to have succeeded in this new era. And Hoya, it seems, was interested only in the medical side, so their marketing campaigns were more dreams than schemes.