Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bingo.

We intentionally tipped at least 10% at restaurants even though we knew service was included almost everywhere.

My wife is fluent in French (born in Quebec), and I did my best to at least start conversations in French instead of going straight for the "parlez-vous anglais?" or worse, "do you speak english?" In Italy we did the same thing. One night in Manarola (Cinque Terre) we ordered our whole meal in Italian and the waiter said "Do you want your salad first, or with the meal?", and we all cracked up.

We were trying to do our part, at least, to counteract the anti-American stigma that is over there.

I will say this, though. In some places, after dealing with Asian tourists who happened to not speak English OR French, we met some some shopkeepers who said "you're American? Thank God," which took me aback.

07-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Like I said I've met many nice (and well informed) Americans while traveling but boy People like this really ruin the reputation of the rest (I've seen some pretty rude Canadians to just not any where near as frequently)
In Central America I've been accused of being Canadian because I speak, dress, and behave properly. And don't carry a Canikony.
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #933
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
In Central America I've been accused of being Canadian because I speak, dress, and behave properly. And don't carry a Canikony.
I thought they'd say British.

not undermining Canadians in a way, but I find British people more formal and mild-mannered compared to Canadians. and I love the accent. I would had preferred Canadians to speak in such manner.
07-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #934
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I thought they'd say British.

not undermining Canadians in a way, but I find British people more formal and mild-mannered compared to Canadians. and I love the accent. I would had preferred Canadians to speak in such manner.
Brits can be a little imperious, but I do love their use of the language, there are places i've been where i heard more British accented language than the local language at point (the Languedoc for instance)

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
, you're welcome north of the border any time Rico

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Bingo.

We intentionally tipped at least 10% at restaurants even though we knew service was included almost everywhere.

My wife is fluent in French (born in Quebec), and I did my best to at least start conversations in French instead of going straight for the "parlez-vous anglais?" or worse, "do you speak english?" In Italy we did the same thing. One night in Manarola (Cinque Terre) we ordered our whole meal in Italian and the waiter said "Do you want your salad first, or with the meal?", and we all cracked up.

We were trying to do our part, at least, to counteract the anti-American stigma that is over there.

I will say this, though. In some places, after dealing with Asian tourists who happened to not speak English OR French, we met some some shopkeepers who said "you're American? Thank God," which took me aback.

I had the Italian experience in Florence where we began to order in Italian, the owner was serving us and offered to do it in any of 8 languages, he was a real character
That being said I always try and master at least some basics before traveling, right now i'm learning a little Catalan for my trip to Barcelona in October (rather than Spanish, from what i've heard from friends this will stand me in very good stead at restaurants the locals eat at as opposed to the joints in the tourist areas- my brother in law said he frequently has had free items on his bill due to this )

07-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #935
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
the admittedly beautiful 24-105 f4 USM
In actuality that lens really sucks, Canon L zoom lenses aren't that great especially the wide angles zooms on full frame cameras. If you think the DA15 limited is bad in the corners the 16-35mm f/2.8L is marginally worse on APS-C
07-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #936
Veteran Member

The only people that I've ever seen with a Pentax camera in their hands are a couple of PF members from on here locally, that's it. Ever. Anywhere. And those I met are all through transactions done here on PF so I don't think they even count as "Pentaxians from the wild"

However, a sales kid at a local camera shop who sold me a camera bag a couple of weeks ago said he had been shooting with a K110d/80-200 (variable aperture) lens. But he burst my enthusiasm when he also said he was "moving up" to a D7000 soon because a comparable Pentax system with K-5 was, according to him, a few hundred dollars more than his budget.
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #937
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shot my university's alumni reunion last year with another guy. To my surprise he was using a k20 and a 50-135. Grantend he also used a Nikon d300 but it was a big surprise that both of us were using Pentax.

I've seen Pentax a few times around. Usually it's a Kx and the person is using a 18-55. I don't know (other than the above mentioned time) seeing anyone using a Pentax DSLR with a lens other than the kit.
07-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #938

In last days I have seen really many Pentax users. With Kit-lens and also with many different lenses. Maybe it's because we, in Estonia, sell many Pentax cameras and people are starting to get used to them.

07-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #939
Pentaxian

I forgot this thread, but here i am, again !

I'm from Paris, France, and i work, from time to time just few meters of the Champs Elysées (lucky man, i know :P ).

Few years ago, i only saw Japanese with Canon high end (5D, 40D, 50D, etc ...) and American with some Canikon flagship (it's a big shortcut, but it's the main idea.)

But, for the last 2 years, i saw more and more people with some K-x, then K-r with some colour (i have a red K-x, and i never realised that it was that "flashy" ...), and some K7, but now it's a lot of K5. I would say, when iwalk on that Avenue from an extrem to another i see between 20 to 50 pentax high end, and around 20 colored K-x or K-r.

Moreover, when i walk in the street or in some party, people find my red K-x so "cool" and some of my friends buy some pentax instead of Canikon, for the price of course, but for it's "coolness" too

(off topic : there is nothing more annoying than those tourist who are in Paris, and think that Paris sucks, because french people doesn't always speak english well, and sell some american stuff. It's France, we are Grumpy, and so what ? )
07-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #940

When I've purchased my K-x, courier delivering it was surprised by my decision to go Pentax, because, according to him, the vast majority order (surprise, surprise) Canikons. Nevertheless he was happy with his own K100D Super and so enjoyed my choice .

In the next 1,5 years I saw 4 Pentax users. Two times I was asked about my camera by people deciding on their first DSLR. My brother has chosen Olympus E-450 because he wanted cheaper solution. One of my friends liked my images and now wants exactly the same camera and lens as I have which supposed to produce him the same pictures .
07-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #941
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
off topic : there is nothing more annoying than those tourist who are in Paris, and think that Paris sucks, because french people doesn't always speak english well, and sell some american stuff. It's France, we are Grumpy, and so what ?
HA, I've spent lots of time in Paris and never found Parisians Grumpy
And You likely never saw me with my MZ5,Mx,KM, *istDs or k 10 (all of which have been there at one point or another) at any point because I'm never anywhere near the Champs I leave it for the Tourists, and I stay out in the 11th
Love your city
07-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #942
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm never anywhere near the Champs I leave it for the Tourists, and I stay out in the 11th
you're right ! the 11th is a greeeat area. For the Champs, the best moment is at 5am when it's empty and the sunrise great light !
07-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #943
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really THAT rare?
Hell no, saw another user today, that's two this year I've seen.
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #944
Forum Member

So I've been in Beijing for the past few weeks, and there are DSLRs everywhere. This can be attributed to the rising middle class with some cash to spare, and therefore you usually see the casual Canikon shooter with a huge zoom lens.

I have seen a few Pentax shooters, 4 to be exact, and they did only have the kit on (nothing against the kit). I think some bought it for the looks because they were not afraid to purchase the white or red K-x/r, but I don't blame them. Pentax does make pretty sexy cameras.

I also went to the camera shop in the Wukesong area, which is probably the most recommended place to buy cameras for both locals and foreigners. As a Pentax shooter, that place is so damn frustrating.

The place is set up like other indoor shopping places with a lot of small booths operated by one to 10 people. In the still camera section there is around 20 or so dedicated Canikon booths, ~5 Sony booths, some mixed branded booths including MFT and P&S sellers, and the rest were vintage camera equipment shops. There was one dedicated Pentax booth and one mixed booth with modern Pentax equipment. That was the first frustrating thing.

The vintage booths were my main interests because I was hoping to catch maybe a good deal on a Pentax-M or A lens. I wanted to look through the lenses, but the owners didn't want me to handle the lenses because they were afraid I might break them. The problem is that half the lenses were horribly stacked on top of each other and some did not have caps. I could also tell many were well on their way to collecting internal dust and fungus. I guess it didn't help that my Chinese was not to good, and I am relatively young (21) to be treated seriously at a camera shop. That was strike two.

The last and final issue was the fact that the owners didn't know jack squat about PK or M42 lenses. I can understand Chinese fairly well (just not speak, read, or write), and I could tell one owner knew a thing or two when it came to more modern Canikon lenses. At the very least, he could give an appraisal without pausing to look things up or without looking confused. However, this guy initially thought the Pentax-m 50mm f2 and Pentax-m 28mm f2.8 were the same thing despite having different physical appearances. Not only that, he also had a pretty valuable M42 Takumar 17mm f4 fisheye, and he had no clue what it was. He also did not recognize the M42 mount.

I'm sorry about the rant, and I am not entirely sure if this is relevant to the topic. It's just that this happened two days ago and I am still a little ticked about my experience in that place. I guess part of it is because the same owner made a comment to another shopper about "little kids" these days getting into photography in reference to me ( he said xiao har(sp?), which literally means "little kid").

I guess the bottom line is that I have seen a few Pentax shooters in Beijing, China, but Pentax's name brand recognition among the people and the variety among the Pentax shooters is still small.

Last edited by UdonUdon; 07-28-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: grammar
07-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #945
Forum Member

Adding to the above...

I ust came back from a 3-day trip to Paris, which included 1 full day stay at Disneyland near Paris. I spotted exactly ZERO people using Pentax (except me that is). ZERO. As in: "none".

Why?