Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #91
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,009
I bought my K10D at a Ritz store back when they were still in business. The odd thing was that they always sold them out very quickly but the corporate high up's didn't like the stores to stock them. I haven't really had any kind of attitude from shooters with other camera's but often I have the only Pentax around. At the Adirondack Hot Air Balloon festivar last year, I kind of linked up with a Nikon shooter who noticed my fisheye. As the crews began inflating their balloons and everybody else began backing up to get shots, we were both moving closer. We compared shots. He was impressed with the 10-17. He was using an older Nikon fisheye prime, I don't remember the size. There were a lot of SLR's around, most with long zooms and we seemed to be ticking off some of them because we were in their way.

08-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #92
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
Reef, how could he NOT be impressed with that 10-17?

Sounds like you were the only guys PREPARED for that kind of shoot!

You were maybe 50 feet from the basket, everyone else was 50 yards back, and the two of you were in every one of their shots!

Great story! And a great lesson for us all!
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #93
Senior Member
ManhattanProject's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
You should see Flickr... almost no pentaxians ever. After looking at what L glass costs, I'm so glad I own a pentax. DA*/FA*s and all those primes.
08-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #94
Site Supporter
smigol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 391
This past weekend I was in Yosemite and during the walk up to Vernal Falls, I saw a near-constant stream of people with cameras. I noted two other Pentax users that I could see. There may have been others that changed their camera straps or were using Point and Shoots.

Of course, I was skewing the total by carrying two bodies and a point and shoot...

08-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #95
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,828
Along the northcoast of California, we get a lot of tourists, many from foreign lands, with their cameras passing through to gape at our trees and snaps shots of the local herds of Roosevelt Elk. I've seen a great many DSLRs, and out of all that I've seen only one Pentax (did see another one last year at Bryce Canyon). Almost everyone has a Canon or Nikon, with Canons predominating, decorated with their cheap, narrow, plastic kit lenses. I've never faced any Canikon snobbery. Perhaps being 6'3" has something to do with that. Or it may have something to do with the glass I'm using. When I'm shooting with the DA* 300, I get admiring and envious looks from other shooters, and even a few explicit compliments. People are impressed with the size of the lens, regardless of brand.
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #96
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by gary1952 Quote
I have been in S.E. Asia for the past two years and I can tell you I have never seen a Pentax. Not only that but I shoot birds here. Pentax and Sigma is a fairly good combo. Cheaper than the glass here for nikon and canon, it is thru the roof. But everyone hates Pentax. I have to agree to some extent. Pentax does not make a camera that is anywhere near there prosumer cameras. The K-7 is a joke for my work and the k-x is great but the QC is a joke. Fast glass doesn't work on most of the K-x until you get it calibrated. Too bad. But it is the truth. I am cheap but Pentax in many places is really a joke and the people know it. Also Canon and Nikon have outlets that cater to the locals and have repair centers locally. Where Pentax has nothing. It is strickly which is better and offers the best customer service. Pentax has none and Canon and Nilon have great Customer service. Even tho the prices are tripple what a Pentax costs.

Luckaly i have had no problems, excet calibration problems. With a simple calibration it has to go back to Japan for service and takes forever. You have to deal with customs and paperwork. Really not worth it. Again the locals know it.
What do you mean calibration problems; anyone else have such issues?

I doubt that everyone knows Pentax is a joke, I think people just tend to go with what everyone else is using.
08-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #97
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montco, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 135
I spent last week melting, er, I mean "vacationing" at Disney World in Orlando, FL. Almost everywhere we went, I had the only Pentax around. I think WDW outfits all of their staff photographers with a higher-end Nikon setup, and a few of them who handled my K2000/Tamron 18-250 rig commented approvingly. I took my Super Program to Animal Kingdom and Epcot. The driver on the Safari thing at AK noticed and mentioned that she still had a K1000 kicking around somewhere in the attic. Also, while going through the nations at Epcot, I spotted one gentleman (from somewhere in Eastern Europe, judging by his accent) shooting a K-x.

Generally, I got a few strange looks from the Canikon folks, but no negative comments.
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #98
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
I spent last week melting, er, I mean "vacationing" at Disney World in Orlando, FL. Almost everywhere we went, I had the only Pentax around. I think WDW outfits all of their staff photographers with a higher-end Nikon setup, and a few of them who handled my K2000/Tamron 18-250 rig commented approvingly. I took my Super Program to Animal Kingdom and Epcot. The driver on the Safari thing at AK noticed and mentioned that she still had a K1000 kicking around somewhere in the attic. Also, while going through the nations at Epcot, I spotted one gentleman (from somewhere in Eastern Europe, judging by his accent) shooting a K-x.

Generally, I got a few strange looks from the Canikon folks, but no negative comments.
In the attic in Florida, oh my!

08-09-2010, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member
Lloydy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 1,114
How things change, when we first went to the USA just over 30 years ago my Canon A1 was often commented on by other photographers. At that time it seemed as though Minolta and Nikon ruled the America's.

A few years later when I had an EOS 600 ( I still have it ) the Minolta ( Maxuum ? ) was certainly the must have camera.

Perhaps it the turn of Pentax ?
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #100
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada eh!
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
Besides my father and I, I've never seen another shooter using Pentax. But I was at my Brother-in-Law's house one day and his uncle was visiting from Holland. He noticed my Pentax right away (K20D) and remarked that he had the K10D at home, but he only brought the P&S on the airplane (Optio S__). We had a few Heineken's together....good guy.
08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #101
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
...I was at my Brother-in-Law's house one day and his uncle was visiting from Holland. He noticed my Pentax right away (K20D) and remarked that he had the K10D at home, but he only brought the P&S on the airplane (Optio S__). We had a few Heineken's together....good guy.

Well, there you go! I KNEW there had to be somebody else in the world using Pentax and Leaf Fan has found him. I just don't run into him because I live in Texas and he lives in Holland.

Mystery solved. Thread closed.

Will
08-09-2010, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,190
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by gary1952

I have been in S.E. Asia for the past two years and I can tell you I have never seen a Pentax. Not only that but I shoot birds here. Pentax and Sigma is a fairly good combo. Cheaper than the glass here for nikon and canon, it is thru the roof. But everyone hates Pentax. I have to agree to some extent. Pentax does not make a camera that is anywhere near there prosumer cameras. The K-7 is a joke for my work and the k-x is great but the QC is a joke. Fast glass doesn't work on most of the K-x until you get it calibrated. Too bad. But it is the truth. I am cheap but Pentax in many places is really a joke and the people know it. Also Canon and Nikon have outlets that cater to the locals and have repair centers locally. Where Pentax has nothing. It is strickly which is better and offers the best customer service. Pentax has none and Canon and Nilon have great Customer service. Even tho the prices are tripple what a Pentax costs.

Luckaly i have had no problems, excet calibration problems. With a simple calibration it has to go back to Japan for service and takes forever. You have to deal with customs and paperwork. Really not worth it. Again the locals know it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
...I doubt that everyone knows Pentax is a joke, I think people just tend to go with what everyone else is using.

I chuckled a little when I Gary's comment. Why anyone would dump a significant amount of money into a camera system and then proclaim to the world that he made a poor purchase is hard for me to understand. If his K-7 is a joke, it should have been apparent on first use and handling. He could have easily have traded it in for a D90 or 50D. The few extra dollars (~50% more) should have been worth it if the K-7 did not meet his needs.

Regarding calibration, I think he is referring to dialing in the AF. My understanding is that AF calibration is a fact of life for all cameras that support the feature, regardless of brand. I haven't needed to calibrate my K10D. The factory calibration is spot on with my AF lenses.

A few weeks ago I was at a gathering of friends and a guy wanted to see my K10D with FA 35/2 mounted. I explained that the camera was several years old and that the current model (K-7) is smaller, lighter, and has a sealed magnesium body at about $800. He played with it quite a bit, all the while muttering that he wished he had spent his money better than on his "plastic hunk of junk Canon <can't remember exact model>"...


Steve
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #103
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33
I know two other people that are using a Pentax.
Considering that I do not know that many people that are using DSLRs its not a bad cut.
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #104
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grimsby UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
I shoot in the pits at the UK's biggest festivals, Glastonbury, V Festival, The Leeds festival etc... I can honestly say in 4 years i haven't seen any Pentax users. Then this year at Glastonbury I bumped into a japanese guy shooting with a ist d attached to an FA* 80-200mm, I pointed to my DA* 50-135mm & he pointed to his silver lens & we both grinned, then at Latitude festival I bumped into another tog shooting with a Pentax MX attached to an 80-200mm f4 m.

So there are some about, but I have yet to bump into another Samsung GX20 user though...

Still I like the individuality my camera choice brings along with the curious looks. The impressed looks the images from the k-x brings though are something else...
08-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #105
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 29
Well, being from Argentina makes thing difficult when talking about prices. EVERYTHING that involves technology costs the double if you live here.

I was looking for camera prices and looked for Canon or Nikon, i was in love with the D90 but it's way to expensive, i couldn't even think in the lenses. One day, my dad shows me an offer he found on PENTAX K-x; I investigated, compared, doubted, investigated more and finnaly decided. If i had to make take the same decision with enough money for the D90, I'd go for Pentax again: the posibility of using old lenses is great for my pocket mixed with the joy of having a DSLR with "Pentax" on it and it's priceless xD

Since i was a kid, I showed interest on photography and in my little word I knew Pentax was serious equipment but someday it simply dissapeared, I steped away from photography and when I headed back into that path only heard of Nikon and Canon (more than Olympus, Sony, etc), hearing Pentax again revived my childhood... at some point.

I only "know" one Pentaxian from Argentina and we met in this forum xD

Yes, as far as I concern, Pentax it's rare here. I'll tell you if there are any changes in the DSLR population, so far, Canikons :P

Last though: 2 days ago i was on a birthday, took my Pentax and started taking pictures, there was a pro photographer with a D7 (we didn't talked, i guess she didn't saw the brand), but the strange thing was that a relatively old man steped by my side looking straight to my camera while i talked to a cousin, read the model as i showed it to him and steped back nodding and smiling... I guess that was good xD
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top