Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #1036

Photos: Gallery
Just spent a couple of weeks in Turkey, two Pentax spotted: one in Pamukkale (young Caucasian lady), one in Ephesus (young Japanese lady).

09-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #1037
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I just returned from two weeks in Italy as well. My experience was almost exactly the same as yours. Ignoring the point and shoots, I saw only three pople using Pentax dslrs--looked like a K100, a K20 and a K-7.

What I saw, of course, was almost entirely Canon and Nikon. I was surprised, though, by the number of full-frames. I saw a fair number of Canon D5s and D5 IIs (maybe a dozen). Also a few Nikon D700s (four or five). Curiously, I saw only one Leica on the trip-an R model.

Pentaxians are a rare breed, indeed.
I was in Italy for one week during my summer holidays, so I went to Milan for one day and during one hour I saw 5 Pentaxes - two white K-Xs (they really pop out), one black K-r, one K200D and one K-5. A lot of Nikons, much smaller number of Canons and probably a good amount of other Pentaxes, that I haven't noticed.
I also saw two guys with Pentax DSLRs during a music festival. They looked a lot like hippie, but I don't know if Pentax is hippies' favourite camera brand
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #1038

I don't see many people shooting with a Pentax-just bought a 645, so I'm now a member of the minority As of now, all of my 35mm and digital SLR gear is Nikon. Not that I think Nikon is better, but that's what I started with. So every time I bought a body, lens, or other gear, it had to be Nikon so it would be compatible with the stuff I already had.
09-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #1039
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
just bought a 645, so I'm now a member of the minority
congrats

Do you enjoy your bigger toy ?

09-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #1040

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
congrats

Do you enjoy your bigger toy ?
I'm sure I will-ordered it last Thursday. Hope to get it next week.
09-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #1041
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
I'm sure I will

Have a lot of fun with it !
09-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #1042

Again this football season I am the only Pentax owner on the sidelines. Canon owns that market.
09-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #1043
Veteran Member

I love the look from people when they see a non-conformist in their midst. Myself I took the kids to some pony rides today and the loads of other parents with camera's I saw (of the SLR's) about 75% Nikons and the rest were Canon other than my lonely K-5 making people look as I was the only one there shooting a few manual lenses (Tamron Adaptall SP 60-300 and SMC Tak 28, Super-Tak 55) along with the 18-135mm. Everyone else riding their D60,90's a few D5000's and some Canon XTi's and T1i's and the local photo shop owner shooting his 7D over his D3 today.. guess he didn't want the extra size/weight. I like when people look hard to see what I'm shooting with the Tamron 60-300 on the K-5, the old manual lens & hood sure are different from todays lenses, although I would love to go down with a Bigma or a FA* 300 F2.8 or something of the sort

09-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #1044
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
although I would love to go down with a Bigma or a FA* 300 F2.8 or something of the sort
it's always fun to bring some big piece of glass, and see how people react

Yeah, i like to be the non-conformist too
09-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #1045
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I find even more rare than a Pentax sight is people changing lenses. I'm changing all the time but I've yet to see someone doing it. 80% of the DSLR I see are a Canon/Nikon with the kit lens. Even the few Pentax I saw are K-x/K100D type of camera with kit lens. I don't recall ever seeing K-5 or K-7. OTOH I'm not always checking what other people shoot with.
09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #1046

QuoteOriginally posted by reddmutt1898 Quote
Again this football season I am the only Pentax owner on the sidelines. Canon owns that market.

Yes at the games I see many Canons.You can tell by the gray/beige color of the lenses.
09-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #1047

Not that rare?

In our Photographic Society in the UK, we have around 60 members. Most members use Nikon or Canon, but we have three Pentaxians with DSLRs, including myself (one K10D, one K20D and a K7). One member has an Olympus DSLR and one has a Panasonic GH1. Several of the less dedicated members have a variety of bridge cameras. I think that a number of discerning photographers have recognised the build quality of the high end Pentax cameras. This is something that you need to pay several times as much for if you opt for Nikon or Canon.
09-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #1048
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
What I find even more rare than a Pentax sight is people changing lenses. I'm changing all the time but I've yet to see someone doing it. 80% of the DSLR I see are a Canon/Nikon with the kit lens. Even the few Pentax I saw are K-x/K100D type of camera with kit lens. I don't recall ever seeing K-5 or K-7. OTOH I'm not always checking what other people shoot with.
This made me think about how often I changes lenses, so I went back and counted what I did yesterday. Saturday when I went out would have been a typical day so I would not have done anything to different except it was hot. Hot makes me lazy and it shows in some of the photos.

I was out shooting at 2 different places and times. An early afternoon and a late afternoon until sundown.

The early afternoon was more open space and I used zooms. So there were a lot of different focal lengths but because I was using zooms I only changed when I was going very wide or to moderate short telephoto. In 2h 25m 42 photos 8 lens changes.

The late afternoon was more street type photos using mostly primes with 1 very wide zoom. In 3h 15m 84 photos with 10 lens changes.

Now the interesting thing about this (at least to me) is not how many times I changed lenses but how many time there was some one around to see it and how little time someone could have seen a lens change. Out of 18 lens changes from memory only about 5 times where there people around to see it (although I did gets some looks like I had taken the camera apart on the street). I takes only about 30 seconds to change a lens so out of 340 minutes of shooting only about 9 minutes could anyone see me changing a lens.

The places I went were tourist type places. I saw dozens of Canon and Nikon (maybe 1 Pentax but I can't be positive as it had gotten dark but I did see 2 film cameras in use), even more bridge/P&S but by far the most common camera I saw was the cell phone by 2 to 1. No lens changes (except for me) mostly kit lenses and no hoods in use. So what this tells me is that most people are just out capturing memories. The ones with DSLRs are just looking for a little better camera to capture memories with not to be an artist. They may have spent to much (they were either over sold and/or they over bought) but fantastic photos is not what they are after. The ones that are trying for the arts stuff will have a tripod and/or more lenses with them. They are the ones that are more interesting (sometime funny) to watch.

DAZ
09-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #1049
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
This made me think about how often I changes lenses
And that's an interesting point. My most lens-intensive period lately was a month I spent in Santa Fe NM. I didn't strictly stick to my lens-of-the-day strategy -- some days of wandering around neighborhoods, yes. My days of prowling the Plaza area, though, saw many swaps: sometimes within one focal length: K50/1.2, CZJ 50/2.8, MacTak 50/4, FA50/1.4; sometimes various zooms and specialties: 10-24, 10-17 FE, 18-250, 50-125 macro, 500/8 mirror. All depending on need and desire.

Very very rarely, I saw people changing lenses, but just with film SLRs. NEVER did I see anyone with a dSLR swap lenses! Most dSLRs were Canikons with kit lenses, most without hoods. That's the dead giveaway for n00bs: no hoods.
09-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #1050
Veteran Member

Took the kids to "The Enchanted Forest" on highway #1 west of Revelstoke today.. great place for the kids to tour around in the woods etc.. lots of parents some with SLR's I saw 2 Canon's (looked like T1i/T2i's) a Nikon D7000 (kit lens no hood) and a FF Nikon D3 or D3X or S with what looked like a nice little 35mm f2.. didn't expect a "kit lens" type on a D3 anyways. One day I might see another Pentax in the wild... one day... I must say i had some people looking at the nice red PENTAX on my strap though