Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #1051

I just attended Dragon*Con last weekend in Atlanta, GA, and spotted a total of 10 Pentaxes, including myself. There was even a lime green K-x!

Dragon*Con is like DSLR city though, there were probably thousands of DSLRs there, mostly Canon/Nikon of course, but I did see a smattering of Olympus/Sony.

09-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #1052

Attended a confirmation last week - where EVERY relative is taking pictures of their young and promising ones - and as far as I could see I was the only one with a Pentax SLR.
However I also was about the only one able to take pictures during service at ambient light (Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ).
There were loads of Canons and Nikons with some 18-2xx mm f/3.5-6.3 lens put out of business until they got outside.
09-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #1053
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was asked about my K10D yesterday by someone I know, but we hadn't talked photography before. He used to shoot Pentax back in the screwmount days, and was impressed when I told him that you could still use the old lenses with an adapter. (He sold all his gear long since, though.) He was also impressed by the in-body shake reduction, programmable user mode, and the programmable dual wheels. I'll see if I can convince him to jump back into photography with a Pentax.
09-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #1054
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been seeing more Pentax users in the Washington, DC area as some local camera shops are carrying Pentax again. I like being different and love to say I use Pentax. Nothing wrong with Canikons, but we are a unique and proud bunch! I have had a K110D, K200D, K20D and now a K-5. I got great use and photos from all of them!

09-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #1055
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yesterday my wife & I wandered around a renfaire & I was packing my trusty white K-x. We were chatting with one of the actors & a rather charming young lady in costume asked what kind of camera I was using. Turns out she was into photography & had a Nikon D5000. She seemed intrigued that Pentax was still around and we had a nice little chat. When I happened to mention that you could mount any Pentax mount lens from the last 50 years to a Pentax DSLR she made the remark that she was thinking of switching systems (she didn't say why) and would certainly check into Pentax.

Later I seen her snapping away with her Nikon & kit lens & we gave each other a little wave & a smile.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
09-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #1056

Finally spotted my first Pentax in California at The Getty Center. Was there for a surprise proposal and while walking around I spotted a K20D in a tourist group.
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #1057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got back from Vancouver B.C. & Knight inlet shooting grizzly bears. On the first day on the viewing platform, the guide had a pair of K10s. I mentioned how rare it was to see another Pentax shooter. He said that with his K10s and my K5 & Kx, there were more Pentax cameras on the platform than had been in the lodge the entire season

09-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #1058

Do we use Pentax because we don't have money to throw around? Is it a class thing? Is it because we don't need to prove ourselves anymore? Who knows....
09-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #1059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is all three you mentioned. Mainly the first one in my case.
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1060
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falke Quote
Do we use Pentax because we don't have money to throw around? Is it a class thing? Is it because we don't need to prove ourselves anymore? Who knows....
I went with Pentax mainly for the backward-compatibility of MF lenses.

Cheers,
09-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #1061
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I went with Pentax mainly for the backward-compatibility of MF lenses.

Cheers,

the price, the red k-x, and maybe because i already had some good Pentax gear
09-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #1062
Veteran Member

MF lenses, the size and build quality (I love how small the high end Pentax models are), price of course, the quality of the viewfinder (important! I came from a Nikon FM2, so I was used to huge viewfinders with split screen microprism focusing screens), the usability/controls. Also I like using what no one else uses (or before everyone else does). I kind of enjoy going against the grain.
09-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #1063
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Also I like using what no one else uses (or before everyone else does). I kind of enjoy going against the grain.
Apple provides a refuge for conformist hipsters. Oh, the iStuff, it's so focking kewl! (for zillions who don't mind the performance-censorship-cash issues.) Canikonympus provide a refuge for conformist toggers, blending-in with the major brands. Ooh, I belong to a brand! Pentax provides a refuge for those who don't have FF budgets but want affordable quality. I didn't go Pentax because I'm a rebel (more an artist-engineer) or a hipster (too old) but because Pentax is uniquely good. And hopefully Ricoh marketing will make us less rare.
09-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #1064

QuoteOriginally posted by Falke Quote
I bought the K-x because it was the camera I felt most at one with in the shop. It was intuitive to use.
So basically I planned buying a Nikon but chose the K-x.
09-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #1065
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drakkar Quote
I bought the K-x because it was the camera I felt most at one with in the shop. It was intuitive to use.
So basically I planned buying a Nikon but chose the K-x.
Same situation here. I was planning on buying a Canon XSi, followed by wanting a Canon T1i, and then finally followed by nearly deciding on a Canon T2i. However, I kept seeing and disregarding the Pentax K-x in all its different flavors, but my curiosity finally got the best of me. I did some research on the K-x, and it won me over nearly instantly. This was also before I had any idea about the wonderful selection of prime lenses that Pentax offers.

Well, I ended up getting the K-r.