Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1081
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Olympus is probably even smaller in the DSLR market than Pentax (well, are Olympus even producing DSLRs anymore?).
For many years now Olympus has been in the scientific optics business. They have a reputation up there with Leitz and Zeiss for macro and microscopic photography. Many companies have had to find their niche to survive. Pentax is no exception in how they have developed their DSLR line. When time came to buy a DSLR price was the deciding factor for me as well. I love my used K20. I had a Pentax MX body with lenses: FA 20-35, a Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5, 50 f1.4, 28 f2.8. Since I have added a DA 16-45 and a Tamron 24-135. Now I'm set for both film and digital and have no interest in Canon or Nikon (I have owned Canon (F-1, EOS) in the past but never really cared much for Nikon).
Still don't see many Pentax camera out there, which I actually like. Don't see many Leica cameras either, which I have owned and shot for over 40 years.

09-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #1082
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep waiting for someone's story to go like:

"I was out with my K-x a few days ago when I spotted a Pentax user who might be one of the luckiest men I have seen. Not only was he brandishing the venerable Pentax K10 with a manual lens but he also had a K-7 slung on his shoulder and a gorgeous woman walking beside him."

Pentax - Because I know something you don't.
09-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #1083

We are three pentaxians at the office
09-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #1084
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote

"I was out with my K-x a few days ago when I spotted a Pentax user who might be one of the luckiest men I have seen. Not only was he brandishing the venerable Pentax K10 with a manual lens but he also had a K-7 slung on his shoulder and a gorgeous woman walking beside him."

Pentax - Because I know something you don't.

that was me (at least at the last show i was at since i was shooting for the band it drew all the hot young girls attracted to the singer - sorry girls he's newly married )

09-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #1085
Veteran Member

we're pretty rare i must say

over here in Hong Kong (a very materialistic city i must add), i've heard a lot of whispers really only by the younger generation of how bad Pentax is, whilst they snicker away with their canikons (massive marketing by nikon and canon everywhere you go is probably the main reason)

classic comment was a guy with his D90 (with a friend shooting a canon 550d) and kit lens looking at my K-R and FA31 telling his friend how "bad pentax was because the images become really dark compared to nikon"

i had a good chuckle and silently moved on after seeing he was using auto program mode

later in the day i was shooting birds in a national park and met an older man with a K-7 with FA300 2.8, we gave eachother a nod after looking at eachothers cameras as we were pretty much surrounded by canikon's around us, probably one of the rare encounters i've met another pentaxian (with a serious piece of glass too)
09-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #1086
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
we're pretty rare i must say

over here in Hong Kong (a very materialistic city i must add), i've heard a lot of whispers really only by the younger generation of how bad Pentax is, whilst they snicker away with their canikons (massive marketing by nikon and canon everywhere you go is probably the main reason)

classic comment was a guy with his D90 (with a friend shooting a canon 550d) and kit lens looking at my K-R and FA31 telling his friend how "bad pentax was because the images become really dark compared to nikon"

i had a good chuckle and silently moved on after seeing he was using auto program mode

later in the day i was shooting birds in a national park and met an older man with a K-7 with FA300 2.8, we gave eachother a nod after looking at eachothers cameras as we were pretty much surrounded by canikon's around us, probably one of the rare encounters i've met another pentaxian (with a serious piece of glass too)
I actually find it common when i run into a pentax user to find them using good glass (usually primes) and not a kit lens. Whereas i see canikon users in green mode with a kit lens (I do of course run into more serious users when covering events but usually they use the zooms (albeit the good expensive 2.8 ones), i rarely see them with primes
09-16-2011, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #1087
Forum Member

While rare, my observation is that Pentax users tend to be more content than Canikony users.

Pentax users focus on collecting glass and taking pictures.

Canikony users are busy determining whether or not their rival brand is coming out with a better body or larger sensor, determining whether they should sell all their gear and convert to the other.

Give me a nice, small body and some great primes and call me happy!

09-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #1088

Photos: Gallery
Back a few years ago whe I was shooting film I shot with Ricohs. I had a KR 5 Super 2,and a XR 10. I used these cameras for seven football seasons. In all of that time I only encountered one other Ricoh user.
09-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #1089
Veteran Member

I had never thought about it, but I will agree that virtually every Canon or Nikon user I know uses zooms. Only occasionally are they the 2.8 zooms. If they use primes, it is almost always a 50mm or 28mm. I met a lady who had a 35mm f2 on her T1i the other day, and that was literally the first time I've run into a Canon user with a slightly less frequently used prime.

I don't know if is is worth it to have a ton of primes rather than a decent zoom. I prefer primes, but I can see why people prefer zooms. And I mostly do not take pictures of people.
09-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #1090
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I don't know if is is worth it to have a ton of primes rather than a decent zoom.
I have to say that a friend of mine bought the Canon 70-200 /2.8 ... well, this zoom is superlative : AF is fast, IQ is awwwwwesome, maybe a bit heavy but handy.
he won't buy prime in this range, because he won't need it
09-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #1091
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
I have to say that a friend of mine bought the Canon 70-200 /2.8 ... well, this zoom is superlative : AF is fast, IQ is awwwwwesome, maybe a bit heavy but handy.
he won't buy prime in this range, because he won't need it
it is an excellent lens, I would still want a fast 85 in that range but otherwise it's a good unit - on the other hand almost all canon users do not use this lens they use one of the inferior zooms and think they are getting the same quality. marketing is a wonderful thing (for the retailer)
Most Pro's I know have this lens (along with a 24-70 2.8) for a couple of reasons, the main being between the 2 zooms with 2 bodies they can shoot more rapidly with very good quality. But they also usually have a few nice primes for work that doesn't need the ability to shoot like a paparazzi
I use my 24-70 in the same scenarios quite frequently (but usually have a few primes with me)
09-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #1092
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
on the other hand almost all canon users do not use this lens they use one of the inferior zooms and think they are getting the same quality. marketing is a wonderful thing (for the retailer)
On the other hand, maybe 85% of the canon user will only use the kit lense + another kit lense or super zoom.

And the only 15% remaining, won't buy so much more lense ...
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #1093
Veteran Member

I very very rarely see someone with a Pentax cam while on shoots
09-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #1094
Veteran Member

A few months ago, I was at Anime Expo, an Anime Convention happening in Los Angeles Convention Center every 4th of July weekend.
The event is filled with people who dress up as certain characters from Anime, Games, Comics, etc. and TONS of photographers taking pictures of them.
Every year, more than 40,000 people attend to this convention.
Suffice to say, I didn't get to meet another Pentaxian. Just a sea of Canikon users.

Kinda made me feel lonely.

Also, some Canon user was snickering at my DA40 and saying that tiny lens and tiny body can't produce great images.
I don't know much about Canon lenses, but I was sure he was using kit zoom and was using built in pop-up flash.
09-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #1095
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
some Canon user was snickering at my DA40 and saying that tiny lens and tiny body can't produce great images
they need big lense to be confident ... but we know that big doesn't necessarily mean good