Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #1096
Forum Member

There are some "upsides" to being a rarity, like...

The faces on Canikon fanboys when my mate pours a bottle of water over his gear after taking pics on the beach.

Money can't buy that.

09-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #1097
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MagusAku Quote
The faces on Canikon fanboys when my mate pours a bottle of water over his gear after taking pics on the beach.
AH AH AH AH !!!!
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #1098
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I photographed a relative's wedding that happened to happen right at the beginning of Hurricane Irene (rather major inconvience irene). They had a tent, but I was darting all around and I ended up going outside the tent a fair bit. It was soaking wet and at some point this guy grabs me and says, "dave your camera!" I said, "its a pentax, its whether sealed," looked at him blankly, and kept shooting!
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #1099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started my photo class again tonight. There was one Pentax in the room, the students all had Canikons, about evenly split (11 students). I was the only Pentax! THere has to be a question in the student's minds though, like "what does he know that I don't?"

To be continued....

09-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #1100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
A few months ago, I was at Anime Expo, an Anime Convention happening in Los Angeles Convention Center every 4th of July weekend.
The event is filled with people who dress up as certain characters from Anime, Games, Comics, etc. and TONS of photographers taking pictures of them.
Every year, more than 40,000 people attend to this convention.
Suffice to say, I didn't get to meet another Pentaxian. Just a sea of Canikon users.

Kinda made me feel lonely.

Also, some Canon user was snickering at my DA40 and saying that tiny lens and tiny body can't produce great images.
I don't know much about Canon lenses, but I was sure he was using kit zoom and was using built in pop-up flash.
Hey, I was there on the last day. I was hanging out mostly in the lobby area with my navy blue K-x. I, too, saw no other Pentaxians. Although at a local cosplay gathering hosted a month later, I did meet a cosplayer who shot with the *istD.
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #1101
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Also, some Canon user was snickering at my DA40 and saying that tiny lens and tiny body can't produce great images.
got to love those clueless ones xD
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #1102
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
but I was sure he was using kit zoom and was using built in pop-up flash
Might as well be using his phone.

09-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #1103
Inactive Account

It is not necessary to see other Pentax users, it is enough to know that we are out there.

Walk the path, and smile.

Cheers Paddy
09-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #1104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Canicon Priests, preaching their religion, last weekend I was accosted by some Canikon sheep (Canikon users who flock together and buy the same camera and identical kit lenses). One particular sheep strayed from his flock and saw me with my K7 and DA70 ,his bleating brought over some more strays who were laughing at me using such a tiny lens. When I pointed out that my "tiny" lens was in fact a 70mm short tele and was more suited to taking portraits,which I was doing at the time,and was also faster and better built than their 18-55 plastic kit lenses they left me . I may have been the only Pentax shooter but I think I may have shot some sheep!
09-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #1105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I started my photo class again tonight. There was one Pentax in the room, the students all had Canikons, about evenly split (11 students). I was the only Pentax! THere has to be a question in the student's minds though, like "what does he know that I don't?"

To be continued....
Four or five years ago before I bought my K10d I took a photo class at a local college because I thought I'd gotten stale. On the first meeting Lance, the instructor, asked us to bring our kit to the next meeting; I brought my LX with winder and 50mm f1.2. While we were all taking a little quiz Lance asked if he could look at the LX. He seemed to like what he say, returning it with the comment, "Impressive camera. I'd heard of the LX but have never seen one."

He was shooting a high-end Nikon DSLR; the rest of the class was Canikon. There was one other film shooter.

Another little story. I carried the LX to a local shop with a good selection of used gear. There I ran into a casual acquaintance, a former pro shooter. He saw the LX and mentioned that he'd owned one bought for a specific job in the Middle East. He'd bought it because it was weather sealed.

It seems that Pentax needs to advertize more. The beginners are seduced by Canikon. Pentax has beginner DSLRs which are very competitive with Canikon.
09-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #1106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'I want you to write this down. Pentax Pancake Lens. Google it.'
I rented a 21mm, it was too wide for what I wanted to do. I'd be happy with the 35mm Ltd, I think. I wouldn't turn down a 70mm if someone accosted me in an alley and shoved it in my pocket.

Enthusiasts will know what these lenses are, and want a closer look. Phanbois and sheep won't.
09-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #1107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SaikouShadou Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
One particular sheep strayed from his flock and saw me with my K7 and DA70 ,his bleating brought over some more strays who were laughing at me using such a tiny lens.
Geez.... Where do you guys meet all these pricks?
09-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #1108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Geez.... Where do you guys meet all these pricks?
Yeah, nobody ever bothers me about my camera, even if I'm not carrying a machete.
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #1109
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone has ever asked me about my camera. Are there really people out there so rude and shallow as to go up to a stranger and start criticising their choice of camera?

All this talk of 'fanboys' and 'sheep' and so on misses the point that pretty much any dSLR would do the job for pretty much any of us, so there are any number of perfectly valid reasons someone may have a Canon or a Nikon. I don't get this tribalism.

Me, I'm a pretty ham-fisted photographer who doesn't get to use his equipment as much as he would like, and therefore can't always find the setting he is looking for. My kit, such as it is consists of a K-7, the kit lens, a donated 70-200 and a flash with two power levels - off and on. If you saw me trying to take pictures of some strangers dressed up as fictional characters in low light, would you post criticising my 'choice' of a kit lens (it's the only one I have that's vaguely appropriate) and knackered old flash, on a body that is frankly not great in low light, or would I be spared criticism because it says Pentax on the pentaprism?
09-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #1110
Veteran Member

The only comment I've gotten recently (sort of) was this summer from a friend of mine, who teaches photography at MICA and shoots Nikon. "Ooh, is that full frame?" I guess the K-5 isn't too much smaller than a D700.