Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #1111

Was out weekend before last in the rain and spotted two other Pentaxians. Guy with a K-x was on his second one 'cos the first one had been nicked.

Also think I sold one chap on getting a Pentax DSLR - a Canonite was trying to convince him to buy Canon even though the chap had a K1000 and several K-mount lenses. Was able to correct the Canon guy who was saying his old lenses wouldn't work. On challenging him, he said 'oh well, they don't work automatically so they'd be difficult to use' - this to a chap who'd been using a K1000 for years.

09-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #1112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to explain to a friend who has a D90 and actually sells services as "professional" photographer how to underexpose to get a silhouette effect on a photo. It's mind boggling how little people know when they shoot in auto mode all the time. I still say everyone should be forced to start with a K1000 if they want to be taken seriously.

Last edited by Don From The Radio; 09-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #1113
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
I had to explain to a friend who has a D90 and actually sells services as "professional" photographer how to underexpose to get a silhouette effect on a photo. It's mind boggling how little people know when they shoot in auto mode all the time. I still say everyone should be forced to start with a K1000 if they want to be taken seriously.
You have a point. We could take it a bit further and urge folks to start off with a separate meter and REALLY learn the way things work. Shooting WITHOUT TTL metering and using extension tubes for macro work...now THAT'S photography! Figuring the exposure increase with tubes and dealing with reciprocity failure from long exposures will "larn ya" about photography! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Seriously, being forced to think about what you're doing, and having to wait to see the results makes one a more thoughtful shooter. While the instant gratification of "chimping" and having no film cost can be liberating, sometimes a little discipline is good. For example, back in the day some wonderful sports shots were taken without motor drives. Anticipating the action is better than ripping off a dozen shots at 5 fps or more. And I seriously doubt that Henri Cartier-Bresson, Edward Weston, or Ansel Adams would have produced finer work with a Pentax 645D, although I'm sure they would have appreciated its virtues.
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #1114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always carry my K1000 in my bag.
It's always fun to find out that most folks with DLSR can't use it.

09-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #1115
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
I agree , and it's never let me down. I've had some really terrible shots with it. I just wish I could blame the camera.
09-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #1116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
The only comment I've gotten recently (sort of) was this summer from a friend of mine, who teaches photography at MICA and shoots Nikon. "Ooh, is that full frame?" I guess the K-5 isn't too much smaller than a D700.
Nah, I guess he saw the one digit number on the camera and thought... Canon: 1 digit usually FF, Nikon 1 digit usually FF, ...

@redbirdpete: lol. Though to be fair manually focusing a DSLR is kind of hard, a lot harder than with an old SLR. The viewfinder is simply too small. My sensors just don't have the MP count to do that (or maybe I need new lenses...).

@Ricky: I have set up my Pentax in a way that most folks with or without a DSLR can't use it without instructions. Does that count too?

Btw., I've seen Claire Fisher (Six Feet Under) use a K1000 IIRC, then her boyfriend buys her a Nikon DSLR and she says something like "cool, then I can even use my old lenses!". Uuuuuh...
09-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #1117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
It's always fun to find out that most folks with DLSR can't use it.
I was going to dispute this, but it's probably true of at least some DSLR owners. It's been so long since I loaded a 35mm cartridge properly (my later film cameras were drop in load) that I'd probably take a few attempts to get it to pick up properly!
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #1118

Almost went to the dark side

I previously owned a K-x and then a K-r and recently purchased the K-5. I have to admit that when I was doing my research prior to buying the K-5, everything pointed to the clear decision that the K-5 was the best choice (not to mention the fact that I had acquired a few lenses that would be compatible). However, the few times when I have taken my K-x or K-r with me to weddings or other places where there would be professional photographers, they would look quizzically at my camera and say something like "Pentax? I've never heard of them." or "Pentax? I didn't think they made those anymore." I admit that this caused me to feel the pressure to conform by jumping on board with the Canon folks. I wavered a little, but I am so glad that I did not go over to the dark side and I stuck with Pentax. I LOVE my new K-5 and it has exceeded my expectations. Just yesterday I ran into a couple of film students who initially looked at my camera with interest. One says, "Oh, whose camera is that?" Before I could answer the other said, "It's a Pentax. I didn't even think they made those anymore."

I don't care what they think, I LOVE MY PENTAX!

09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #1119
Veteran Member

Having Pentax is feeding my hipster ego so much.
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #1120
Site Supporter

What was the old perscription for projecting the pro photographer image? Wear a black leather jacket, affect a surly attitude, and carry a Pentax?
09-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #1121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
What was the old perscription for projecting the pro photographer image? Wear a black leather jacket, affect a surly attitude, and carry a Pentax?
Yeah, anti-PETA garb and a few fock-off's will cement your status. And you can always tape-over the Pentax name and replace it with Leica, eh? Or maybe with Holga. Can't get no hipper than that!
09-22-2011, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #1122
Inactive Account

I guess we are rare, but really so what.I am fulltime wedding photograper & maybe the only one with Pentax. In some weddings, many young photographers don't even heard of Pentax & they think only Nikon / Canon can produced best photos. Some senior photographers thought I am using Nikon after looking at my pictures & they are suprised it is Pentax. Proud owner.
09-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #1123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KALAIS Quote
Some senior photographers thought I am using Nikon after looking at my pictures
Which goes to show how much marketing is powerful. Pentax as a brand has to be revitalized that's why I think products like the 645D even if they don't make money directly are the best marketing tools.

The one thing I like about my Pentax is that I don't have to tape the brand name on my camera which I would certainly do if I was using a Canon or a Nikon. For at least two reasons: thieves and gearheads
09-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #1124

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
The only comment I've gotten recently (sort of) was this summer from a friend of mine, who teaches photography at MICA and shoots Nikon. "Ooh, is that full frame?" I guess the K-5 isn't too much smaller than a D700.
I'd suspect it may have been due to the numbering (single-digit). The K-5 is actually quite a bit smaller when placed side-by-side. (My D700 with RRS L-bracket is actually about the same height as the K-5 with battery grip.) The K-5 is a bit surprising in the weight department when you pick it up - it's heavier than it's size suggests. Nice, well built camera.

I still haven't run into anyone using a Pentax since I bought mine a few months ago...
09-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #1125
Veteran Member

I was recently in Greece and Turkey and went to all the major tourists sites. Of the hundreds of SLRs I saw being carried by the throngs of tourists, 90% were Nikon or Canon. I saw around a dozen Pentaxes, 1 Leica, and one or two Sonys.