Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot a bunch of stuff for Jamestown Rediscovery and a bit of Colonial Williamsburg. I love how the higher-ups comment, "gee your stuff has a style all its own and the colors are so vibrant".... Lovin' the K5...

P.S. shot an entire program on ISO 3200 (I had to the light level was so low). Afterwards I shot a number of stills with the flash at ISO 400. While the colors were clearlly more alive at the ISO400, I was truly pleased by the absence of grain at ISO3200. In addition, the natural lighting really showed up the costumes at 3200...

Perhaps "rare" and "who cares" rhyme for a reason.

09-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1127
Forum Member

Where I live, I have only seen two people with Pentax DSLR's and they weren't really friendly either. When I moved to university, I met so many people that have never heard of Pentax before!! It's crazy!! One pro photog said that I was limiting myself and what I could do with photography by not going with the mainstream Canons... I told him that my K-7 is about the same as the Canon EOS 60D with one more feature, WR. After that, he kinda was deflated. Here is a pro that only has Canon Rebels (XSi and T2i) in the studio... something doesn't add up, don't judge a book by it's cover because (almost) any camera is a good camera with good glass.
09-24-2011, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #1128
Site Supporter

@chattphotos: Just as it's the photographer and not the equipment that matters, it's also true that belonging to a rarified group does not automatically make you "friendly". Perhaps if I belonged to the other-guys' group I might feel different, but I always try to be friendly to all photogs. After all, you never know when encouraging words about Pentax might land on receptive ears!

I've always owned Pentax since getting my first SLR, but I've clicked the shutter on my step-father-in-law's Nikon Dsomething (can't remember which model, but he's the type that goes for big-ticket vs. value). it was probably pretty new at the time, so I can't comment on long-term build quality - but it did seem to focus fast and felt like a fine instrument. His boasting only served to keep me quiet and just nod (no sense arguing with an 90-year old!).

Now, as far as not hearing of Pentax, that's on the marketing (or lack thereof) of Pentax itself. We've all re-hashed time and again how Pentax must do a better job of advertising. Just the other very rainy day I remarked to a gal in my office that she could be shooting in this weather if she had a Pentax like mine instead of the C or N her new husband just got her as a wedding gift. She replied that she was actually interested in Pentax but hadn't seen one in a store in a really long time! So there you have it (Ricoh are you listening?) - we need to not only be in peoples minds (advertising) but in their face (physical presence at retail).
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #1129

@jamarley - I agree with you (and others) that Pentax needs to do a better job of marketing and getting their cameras in the brick and mortar stores. Before purchasing my K-5, I called around to all the local camera stores within 60 miles of where I live and could not find a single one who carried Pentax cameras. The nearest store I could find was 107 miles away. Fortunately, I was willing to purchase my K-5 on-line without having seen one in person. Additionally, as a Pentax owner, I would like to have a local camera shop that was familiar with Pentax.

09-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #1130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
So there you have it (Ricoh are you listening?) - we need to not only be in peoples minds (advertising) but in their face (physical presence at retail).
I agree. I would like to handle my next Pentax before spend the money . There are no stores localy that handle Pentax. Well my next new Pentax any way as I purchased a Zx7 from KEH this morning.
09-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #1131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusty89 Quote
Fortunately, I was willing to purchase my K-5 on-line without having seen one in person. Additionally, as a Pentax owner, I would like to have a local camera shop that was familiar with Pentax.
Wow, I sure do feel lucky. We have 2 camera shops here in my small hometown and both know Pentax well! But then again they are owned and ran by people who shot film for decades.
09-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #1132
Forum Member

Physical Pentax

@Patrick
@Rusty

Check out- CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals.

For those of us in the USA, the CLR store is open to rent pentax/canon/nikon equipment and bodies at a very reasonable rate!

This is how I decided on the K-7, I tried it out beforehand. Later on, I also rented the 14mm prime and shot some amazing panos in Alaska with it!

09-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #1133
Forum Member

I counted 14 Pentaxes today at the NATO days. But I was disappointed that most of them were using kit lenses (almost everyone with a polarizing filter though). So I guess we are rare, but not that much. I was actually more surprised that there was a quite big number of Olympuses and Sonys. Oh yes and a horde of CaNikons, some of them with the lovely 70-200mm f/2.8L USM.
09-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #1134
Inactive Account

I am still with my K10 & K20D . Both are serving me fine. Sometime I feel nice be stranger with Pentax than N or C. Rarity might be good. The best thing is no need to get into discussion about which Nikon or Canon model is good. I am just waiting for upgrade of K5. Any idea from Pentax Japan / Usa.
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #1135
Inactive Account

@freddykrueger: maybe it's because the kit lens isn't that bad?

As long as there is enough light and/or you don't need shallow dof, it is quite good, actually. Oh, and you should not mind it distorts wildly. But at least, it is sharp as hell. Compared to the crap Canon used to be selling as a kit lens, it is really, really good. And given the fact that you usually have it anyway... why not use it?
09-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #1136
Inactive Account

After holding a low end Canon that felt like a toy, I'm okay with being a standout in a sea of Canons and Nikons with my K-x.
09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #1137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by turboseize Quote
@freddykrueger: maybe it's because the kit lens isn't that bad?

As long as there is enough light and/or you don't need shallow dof, it is quite good, actually. Oh, and you should not mind it distorts wildly. But at least, it is sharp as hell. Compared to the crap Canon used to be selling as a kit lens, it is really, really good. And given the fact that you usually have it anyway... why not use it?
I've found the kit lens more than adequate. Considering that its mount is metal, as contrasted to the plastic that some companies use, and that a good lens shade is furnished, what a deal! Distortion? Yes, but that's what photo editor programs can handle. Elements does nicely. All lenses have their limitations. We need to realize them and find workarounds. Stick to middle apertures and all is well.
09-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #1138
Forum Member

The kit lens is not bad, but it was NATO days and that means planes and armoured vehicles, a lot of planes actually and not just on the ground, but in the sky. That's why I was dissapointed. Even I with my 75-205mm would appreciate a longer reach. I saw just one guy with a telephoto lens that was using Pentax.

The mount is plastic btw. (at least on my copy of the kit lens). And CaNikon has really improved their kit lenses lately...
09-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #1139

Seventy-six pages later, we're still here, ruminating on the OP's thoughts--and I've enjoyed every post. The ambiance here feels like hanging out with the regulars at the corner pub, grinning and shaking our collectively wise gray heads at the clueless outside.

Different strokes for different folks. "Don't diss the guy with the WWII K98 Mauser. He gets his deer every year with it." I don't need the newest unobtainium-framed CaNikon status gadget (though others are welcome to it if they do). I get great results with my old-school Pentaxes, and rather enjoy the smug feeling of being that rare breed of camera owners, the Pentaxians.

"Why Pentax? Because we know something you don't...." says it all, for me.
09-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started teaching my second photo class Saturday. Again, the only Pentax in the room was mine. I did have only five students in this class though.

And again last night in the evening class, I was working with the students getting their systems set to Adobe RGB, accessing white balance, metering set-ups, etc. and I must say, my K7 is SO much easier on all these fronts! Everything is laid out where you need them. I barely go into the menus as the things I need most are right where I can get at them easily. I am still amazed at the ergonomic differences between the Pentax K digital units and the Canikons. Those developers REALLY did a good job laying these cameras out!

OK, now give us a full frame so we can be completely happy!

Regards,