Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #1201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
What a great museum! I love the car with the rainstorm in it, and the amazing sketches and ink drawings in well-lit halls, and the fact that there is no photography restriction!!

Las time I was there (2004?) I remember a guy with the P&S who was quite literally walking from piece to piece just looking at his LCD screen and snapping a photo and occasionally making dissatisfied grunts if someone was in front of the next piece he wanted to "shoot." I don't think he noticed a single work of art in the whole place...
Most Mexican museums have no (or no-flash) photo restrictions. In Zacatecas are some world-class museums, including two former monasteries taken over by the Caporal brothers. (They're Mexican artistic royalty.) One is devoted to masks and other folk arts, the other to folk arts and fine arts. Five years ago, we're slowly walking through one of these, snapping shots of everything but viewing everything closely too. A kid speeds through the halls, late teens, walking fast, pointing his cam.phone at all the displays. Didn't even chimp the screen, just waved the device like a magic talisman. Maybe he missed the school tour?

10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #1202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He was getting his photographic Cliff Notes so he could fake his way through a required report, no doubt.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 10-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
10-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #1203
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Am at a big photo workshop on the California coast this week. Today at an outdoor shoot, I saw a red camera nearby and went over to say hi, only to find it was a red NIKON!!! What is the world coming to? It was a D3100 and the young lady said she had only had it 4 days.
I have been wearing my "Yes, its a Pentax" shirt and ball cap but seem to be the only one out of over 100 participants. Some of the instructors seem a bit bemused by me.
Maybe you'll see me running around with my K-7! I'm not attending the workshop (just found out about it yesterday) but I'm usually out and about on the weekends, though I'll probably be stuck inside writing a chemistry lab report

The only time I've ever seen another Pentax was back in August during the Monterey Car Week. I actually saw a guy with a 645d, but before I could go up and start drooling over his camera he disappeared into the crowd. Probably a good thing. I don't need anymore temptations!
10-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #1204
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We are hanging around the Embassy Suites for sit down sessions and shooting all around the area. If you are really interested, I think they are accepting daypass entrants as walk-ins. Sunday's keynote is a slide/talk by Rick Sammon at 11:00 am.

I am due up at 5:30 am for a sunrise landscape session up in Perfumo Canyon so need to bed down now. I'll look for a K7.

10-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #1205
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if asked the question, did those people intentionally used the pop-up flash or had it set automatically without the intention of knowing it's real purpose? even more ridiculous are people using intentionally using a pop up flash on subjects that are over 20 feet away.
Well all we know about the situation that prompted my post was the the person using pop up flash was professional (getting paid) and had a Canon camera rather than a Pentax. It sounds like they were using the flash in an appropriate way.

I get grumpy when it's suggested that simply because they haven't got a Pentax they mustn't have a clue what they are doing. Especially when the post doing so (not your post) reveals that the poster doesn't really know why one might use fill in flash. :ugh:
10-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #1206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Well all we know about the situation that prompted my post was the the person using pop up flash was professional (getting paid) and had a Canon camera rather than a Pentax. It sounds like they were using the flash in an appropriate way.

I get grumpy when it's suggested that simply because they haven't got a Pentax they mustn't have a clue what they are doing. Especially when the post doing so (not your post) reveals that the poster doesn't really know why one might use fill in flash. :ugh:
I understand what you meant. I would think that the brand argument comes in mind not because people that use an specific brand would make them more knowledgeable but of the false notion that a certain camera brand is more popular makes the user knowledgeable of the camera being used. actually it is quite sad really that people do believe that if they shoot a certain camera would make them instantly good photographers. to be honest, branding itself make people stupid. just like how Iphone did to our society.
10-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #1207
Site Supporter

Spotted my first Pentaxican in the wild today at Naval Air Station China Lake at an open house with armament and display aircraft and a two plane F/A 18 flyby. Retired bloke from the UK attending airshows and aircraft museums as they travel across the colonies. He was traveling with three companions, all retired. One of the other travelers was shooting a MX film camera. He was shooting a K5 and a K7, each with a different lens. Said he already had over 26000 shots on the K5 but K7 was not working 1/2 as hard. Saw a gazillion P&S, several unidentified range finders, cell phones, video recorders and the usual number of Canikons. I figure we were over represented based on statements and observations by other members at these types of social gatherings.............Cliff
Attached Images

10-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #1208
Pentaxian

2 days ago I was in a park in Bonn with my Tokina 80-200 when some guy asked me how much such a big lens goes for. I told him 40 Euros because the shop owner had it on the shelf for many many years and wanted to get rid of it. He was quite surprised and told me that he sold his lenses for too little then... the day before or so he sold 5 (!) lenses including camera for 50 Euro. I was thinking... oh, Canon probably, those lenses are not worth anything, and asked him what brand. Then he said Pentax.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

10-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #1209
Site Supporter

We went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens Saturday afternoon to visit with and shoot grandchildren Sofia, a "big girl" of 4 and her little sister Audrey, 2. The Gardens is a wonderful venue, many gorgeous plantings and Halloween displays at this time of year. I saw the usual vast numbers of P&S cameras of various makes, stupid cell phone cameras, Canikon DSLRs, and ONE other Pentax. A guy in his early 40's, I suppose, was sporting a ME, I think. I asked him if it were a ME-Super and he replied that he really didn't know, that he wasn't familiar with the camera! Appalling!

Re: popup flashes: I saw one old fart with a Canikon sporting a huge lens shooting a subject 25 feet away with his popup. Arrgh! At least he had a petal lens shade mounted.
10-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #1210
Pentaxian

Went on the oldest french zoo, it's in Paris, called "La ménagerie du jardin des plantes" (the menagerie - old word to say a zoo - of the botanical garden), created in 1794 (in fact only one zoo in the world is oldest, and it's in Germany, but i don't remember the name.)

I saw gazillions of P&S, some Iphones, a biiiiig swarm of Canikon newbie shooters, some "heavy" Nikons, and only one Pentax -probably a K-7 with a 16-50.

In some building/gardens, without much light you can see some Great Apes (Gorrillas, Orang utans, etc ...) and some Panthers. Thoses animals are quite used to men, and play with you, no matter the huge window beetween you and them.

One of the rule is "NO FLASH". Guess what ? All the people were trying to take picture, and their flash always poped-up.
I saw probably 30 people trying to "turn off" the flash and get decent picture. None of them were succeding, some with nice "pro" grade white lense (You know, the big Canon that scream "STEEEEEAL ME !")

I was doing some picture with my horrible 80-200 f4.5 MF (horrible to focus with such low light, and horrible optically ... anyway).

But a big guy, was using it's fu**ing built-in flash, ruining all my tries.

had to tell him to stop, and show him how to shoot without it

The conclusion of all this is : No matter the brand READ THE FU**ING MANUAL !
10-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #1211
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Went on the oldest french zoo, it's in Paris, called "La ménagerie du jardin des plantes" (the menagerie - old word to say a zoo - of the botanical garden), created in 1794 (in fact only one zoo in the world is oldest, and it's in Germany, but i don't remember the name.)

I saw gazillions of P&S, some Iphones, a biiiiig swarm of Canikon newbie shooters, some "heavy" Nikons, and only one Pentax -probably a K-7 with a 16-50.

In some building/gardens, without much light you can see some Great Apes (Gorrillas, Orang utans, etc ...) and some Panthers. Thoses animals are quite used to men, and play with you, no matter the huge window beetween you and them.

One of the rule is "NO FLASH". Guess what ? All the people were trying to take picture, and their flash always poped-up.
I saw probably 30 people trying to "turn off" the flash and get decent picture. None of them were succeding, some with nice "pro" grade white lense (You know, the big Canon that scream "STEEEEEAL ME !")

I was doing some picture with my horrible 80-200 f4.5 MF (horrible to focus with such low light, and horrible optically ... anyway).

But a big guy, was using it's fu**ing built-in flash, ruining all my tries.

had to tell him to stop, and show him how to shoot without it

The conclusion of all this is : No matter the brand READ THE FU**ING MANUAL !
at the picasso museum in Barcelona the other week i saw a women use her flash, get warned by security for it, and proceed to use it again in the next room
it was a p/s though.
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #1212
Site Supporter

My sighting for today, at girls soccer. Couple Nikon`s, one with a long zoom and pop-up flash on. Not sure why he did it, might have tried for a different effect. Sort of know him...
And one Canon shooter, holy crap, his gear was nothing but a bunch of tools for getting the image. My hats off to him.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #1213
Loyal Site Supporter

Just saw the NBC Nightly News, there was a segment on Occupy Wall Street and there was a guy with a Pentax taking photos. Nice to see over Canon or Nikon for a change.
10-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My sighting for today, at girls soccer. Couple Nikon`s, one with a long zoom and pop-up flash on. Not sure why he did it, might have tried for a different effect. Sort of know him...
And one Canon shooter, holy crap, his gear was nothing but a bunch of tools for getting the image. My hats off to him.
money well spent. I mean, what's the point on buying a gear for thousands of dollars with a great build and tremendous tolerance capacity if you're not even subjecting it to the pressure?
10-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #1215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
money well spent. I mean, what's the point on buying a gear for thousands of dollars with a great build and tremendous tolerance capacity if you're not even subjecting it to the pressure?
If it's necessary, fine. But what good is it beating the shit out of your tools just because you can?