Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #1231
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
So whats the difference between a Viaduct and an Aquaduct?
Via goes through and aqua stays on top? my WAG.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-31-2011 at 08:05 PM.
10-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #1232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahh I see.. a stone "pipe" compared to a trough.
10-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #1233
Pentaxian

An aquaduct carries water (as if you needed to be told!).
A viaduct typically carries a road or railway. Usually made as a series of stone arches, although also constructed from plain ugly concrete.
10-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #1234
Veteran Member

Pentaxians are probably more rare than aqueducts or viaducts. This must change!

11-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #1235

My country it is not an exception...
I started my Pentax quest with a tiny S-M-C Takumar 35 3.5 among my zeiss jena in my Canon 400d (Rebel Xti).
This small little lens has the most superb build quality, is tak sharp and is great shooting against the sun.
Then I started buying other Takumars (m42) and this brand started growing on me.
Now I have 5 Takumars 2 Spotmatics and tomorrow I will probably receive my K5 (just fell in love by the way it feels in the hand)

Portuguese Pentax community is very small. And I had to search for information on the web. To try the camera I only found one Media markt store otherwise I would not be able to test the camera. If Pentax wants to sell cameras here they have to keep them in physical stores.

I found this forum in the right moment.
Fortunately I only found this forum after buying the K5. Fortunately because this forum has to much information about the k5 and sensor stains, front focus and buttons that fall like leafs in the autumn!!!
Now that I bought the camera I know that I will love the forum but if I would have found it sooner, I would be afraid of buying the K5 online.

I hope you understand what I've just written. My English is quite rusty and I don't want to be misunderstood. This forum is great but sometimes it can make someone think twice before buying a Pentax.

Now that I studied a bit from Pentax, I now this brand should keep the respect from the analog age. To me Pentax is like the osX... You have to try it before you really understand what you were losing...
11-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #1236
Site Supporter

Welcome! I'll bet you will love the K-5. Every forum I've seen on the internet has more complaints about products than praise, no matter how good the product is. Folks who have no problems usually don't bother to post about it. My K-5 (like most) has been fine. Don't look for trouble, just enjoy the camera.
11-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #1237

Hi Tom
The Optical Me had already that conversation with The Rational Me
The fact is that since the Pentax community is "so small", The best place to search specifically for Pentax, is almost the "Only" Place for the pentaxians post for their complains...
11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #1238
Forum Member

Hi The Optical Me:
Welcome to this forum. You still have another option (not in Portuguese though) but at least in Spanish at pentaxeros.com. They are based in Spain which is not very far away from your location.

Otherwise, in English language this is the best forum.

Trevinon
In México

11-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #1239
Veteran Member

Funny, I don't see Pentax as being rare nor the community being small. I spent a great deal of my time shooting with Mamiya, Linhof, Horseman, Sinar, Wista, and Widelux. I even had a Konica Hexar Silver. I have seen more Pentax cameras than any of those in the hands of strangers. (I did have a Nikon, but that was a Nikonos V and not very common.) The pros I know shoot Hasselblad, Alpa, and Cambo.
11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #1240
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Funny, I don't see Pentax as being rare nor the community being small. I spent a great deal of my time shooting with Mamiya, Linhof, Horseman, Sinar, Wista, and Widelux. I even had a Konica Hexar Silver. I have seen more Pentax cameras than any of those in the hands of strangers. (I did have a Nikon, but that was a Nikonos V and not very common.) The pros I know shoot Hasselblad, Alpa, and Cambo.
ahaha bang on i imagine kx users alone outnumber total users for that group combined (and i'd love to have a few of those myself the widelux and the hexar and one of the LF would all make me happy - I already have a mamiya and a bronica and have never come across another using the same ones on a walkabout and rarely even the same brand though i do see the odd mamiya)
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #1241
Loyal Site Supporter

Aquaduct carries water (aqua), viaduct carries road (via).
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1242

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Hi The Optical Me:
Spanish at pentaxeros.com. They are based in Spain which is not very far away from your location.
In México
Thank you
Pentaxeros is quite far from the place I live. At least there are some great online stores within the european union
My k5 is traveling from Holland to Portugal. Today it is in Spain, tomorrow it's an early christmas for me

To keep on topic...
Here Sony totally overcame Pentax and due to cultural aspects Pentax will have a hard time selling here...
11-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1243
Pentaxian

You should have told me, I could have brought it to you if you wanted it for christmas. Heading that way then anyway And then I could have tested it for yoy along the way
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #1244

Photos: Albums
We really are that rare. Nobody I know shoots Pentax, and I know many photographers, professional and enthusiast. Most people don't even know the brand name, which I find rather shocking. Its sad that their products are great, yet so underrated.
11-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #1245
Site Supporter

Perhaps with the Hoya influence, there will be more marketing exposure. Of course if they doubled it, it might still be rare to see it!

HINT HINT HINT Pentax marketing team!