Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #1246
Forum Member

I'm in Thailand on holiday at the moment and have seen only ONE other Pentax DSLR, funnily enough he was a smart bastard too and brought a wide angle lens and a tripod on Raya island, all the Canon and Nikon users only had super telephoto's - it was a bit of laugh seeing them trying to step back..and back...and back, trying to get the whole beach / bay in the one shot, and fail. People even look at me weird when I bring out my manfrotto at sunset, while they pop out their on camera flash on their 5D MkII's and scratch their heads at why their photos look crap..

11-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #1247
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
People even look at me weird when I bring out my manfrotto at sunset, while they pop out their on camera flash on their 5D MkII's and scratch their heads at why their photos look crap..
On the other hand, there are plenty of them who know what they're doing: Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon: EOS 5D Mark II
11-07-2011, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #1248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
while they pop out their on camera flash on their 5D MkII's
I'd love to see that. FYI 5D MkII doesn't have an on camera flash.
11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #1249
Forum Member

5D / 7D / 60D, Nikons of all sorts. Its amusing sometimes. What is surprising is the amount of the Sony NEX camera's, there are HEAPS going around. So much for the shortage is fuji x100s, there where two shops in Phuket with at least 10+ in stock, around US$800 too

11-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #1250
Veteran Member

I attended a festival event in Lucban in the Philippines almost a year ago and knew there was one Pentax shooter on the road where the parade happened - I was carrying my li'l K-x that time, and an umbrella as the sun blazed above. Thirty minutes later a freak rain came out of nowhere and drove many a photographer away leaving only me, a K7 shooter and a handful of pro's with their bulky C/N pro cams..

What I lol'd about was that the guy's K7 was splashed on as he positioned in a low angle, not seeing (or caring I think) that there was a puddle near him. He kept on shooting. The look of disbelief on the faces of the other shooters in the shade, seeing the same scene, was priceless!
11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #1251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony DSLRs even rarer?

I saw my first ever Sony DSLR in the field Sunday at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, a great place to shoot, BTW. As my K10 with screw drive focus kit lens jockeyed for focus, a woman in her 30's commented that her camera also focused noisily. She also was a bit irked that all the tutorials spoke of Nikons or Canons. I suggested that she surf the web; since there are several active Pentax fora I'd imagine that there were some Sony groups also.

Didn't see any Pentax cameras of any description, though. I could use a new camera strap since the original tends to slip on my shoulder, but I hate to lose the Pentax lettering. Want to fly the colors, don't you know!
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #1252

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I saw my first ever Sony DSLR in the field Sunday
I see Sony DSLRs all the time around here. I find it sort of odd that i see a lot of Sony and Canon and very little Nikon. Still, all are more prevalent than Pentax. I dare say I'm the only Pentax shooter in the county, easy.

11-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
I dare say I'm the only Pentax shooter in the county, easy.
I dare say that y'all have rather small counties back there.

(I should talk. My county has a population of maybe 35k and 1/3 of them are prisoners.)

As it happens, a couple of dental assistants (DAs) working in a nearby clinic both shoot film Pentax, and not just to aim at our teeth. But I know of nobody else around shooting a Pentax dSLR now, although I'm trying to convert one of the DAs to switch from Canon.
11-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #1254

At the Texas Renaissance Festival last weekend I noted the following: Many camera phones and power zoom models (although not many compact or other type point and shoots), the normal blathering of Canons and Nikons, one Canon 1D series camera, a film SLR (Nikon I think), and one of Mamiya's 645 models.

Of course I also noted the overwhelming number of people dressed in home made outfits they wouldn't be caught dead wearing anywhere else...and most of them revealing way too much. Quite a few scantily clad people (women AND men). One particularly large guy was wearing a wedding dress and wings. (Presumably, he got the wedding dress in the divorce and was wearing it to spite her.) I find it interesting though just how popular it seems to be to wear a fake fox's tail on any outfit...
11-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #1255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I saw my first ever Sony DSLR in the field Sunday at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, a great place to shoot, BTW. As my K10 with screw drive focus kit lens jockeyed for focus, a woman in her 30's commented that her camera also focused noisily. She also was a bit irked that all the tutorials spoke of Nikons or Canons. I suggested that she surf the web; since there are several active Pentax fora I'd imagine that there were some Sony groups also.
Sony lost all of its DSLR production in the recent Thai floods, so I imagine we'll see even less of them as time goes on. I haven't seen any really recent updates on their situation, but it sounded likely that they would be out of the game for a year or more when it was first reported.
11-19-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #1256

K1000-PZ1-istD-K10d

I’ve owned and shot them all. I have to say using lensesfrom 20 years ago today is awesome. What the “other guys” don’t realize is Pentaxhas only had one major mount change, from a screw mount to the ever lovedK-mount (variations yes) and we can even use the screw mounts on our cameras too.

When I taught photography I groomed many Pentaxians in theclass room, but never put down the other cameras that were there also. I guesswe are a more humble breed of photographer. When I educated my class on the benefitsto shooting a Pentax they were sold. The camera of choice was the K1000 (I taughtduring the film era LOL)

I would hear the occasional debate on what camera was betterbut quickly dispatched any disagreements with my speech that a camera was justan expensive hole, the glass in front and the eye in the back is what makes agreat photograph.

I am proud to shoot my Pentax and you couldn’t pry it frommy cold dead fingers, that said shoot on my fellow Pentaxians and spread theword.

B
12-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #1257
Veteran Member

I hope to see more of these in the coming year. Photo taken at a local mall in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
And yes, in one of those glass boxes is a 645D. I even got the chance to hold it myself. It feels so good in the hands....

hopefully Pentax won't be so rare anymore!
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #1258

I say my first Pentax shooter besides myself last week. She was from out of state and was at an event I was shooting. She had the red KR and it saddened me to find out that the only reason she bought it was because it was red and "cheap." Woman didn't even know how to use the nicer functions of the camera.
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #1259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I hope to see more of these in the coming year. Photo taken at a local mall in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
And yes, in one of those glass boxes is a 645D. I even got the chance to hold it myself. It feels so good in the hands....

hopefully Pentax won't be so rare anymore!
Sure would be nice to see those booth setups and store fronts like that in North America!
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #1260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Sure would be nice to see those booth setups and store fronts like that in North America!
a BIG PLUS1 to that