Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #1291
Forum Member

I guess in some places we are the few. Yesterday I went to a cruise off Cabo San Lucas and as usual, there were some three Nikons of different flavors, one Canon and my K-x. It was sunset at sea and the shots were beautiful.

12-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #1292
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of weeks ago I went to my church with my K100DS with STak150 - first outing for the 150. I was impressed, although my failure rate was high (50%) because DOF is shallow and indoor shuter speeds are slow.
On the way in I saw one of my friends with his N branded machine. He looked at mine and said "what's that?" It seems he had never seen a Pentax before and had not even heard of it! I could brag about the backward compatibility, including SR, and also told him Pentax is one of the oldest brands.
What kind of business plan is it to not tell the world there is a product to buy? People only buy product which is infront of them. Maybe Pentax should place their product in camera shops on a consignment basis - removing the cost of stocking from the shop, but havingthe product available for over the counter purchase, and visible for inspection.
Back to the story - that man had seen some of my previous pictures, and was favourably impressed by my work - which demonstrates at least some of the possibilities opened up by the Pentax. I think that he takes too many pictures but without enough critical evaluation of them to learn quickly. I fear that will be the curse of the cheapness of digital photography.
12-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #1293

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think that he takes too many pictures but without enough critical evaluation of them to learn quickly. I fear that will be the curse of the cheapness of digital photography.
I think that is the curse of it. I shot film well into the digital age (and I mean until a year ago) and I was always very careful with what i took and got some amazing results. The ability to delete in-camera and take as many as you want by holding down the button has really cheapened the art. I find myself doing it way too much until I catch myself, and then I start taking better pictures again.
12-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #1294

Photos: Gallery
I will tell anybody if they think Pentax is rare now, try finding a Praktica. You can find them in Europe, but almost never in the states. My first SLR was a Praktica LTL 3. I got it for Christmas in 1976.
But I sold it to get Pentax ME Super (a much better camera) in 1982. I still have it and my *ist DL.
These past few years around my town I have seen two people with a Pentax, one was a K-x.
Oh, yes, this is my first posting. Hello everybody!

12-23-2011, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #1295

Sorry, it is not my first posting. It's been a long time.
12-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #1296
Pentaxian

2 days ago on Orchard Road in Singapore I've seen a Westerner with a Pentax strap. Couldn't see the camera properly cause he was busy fixing the neck strap... I guess he wanted to adjust the length.
12-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #1297
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
I think that is the curse of it. I shot film well into the digital age (and I mean until a year ago) and I was always very careful with what i took and got some amazing results. The ability to delete in-camera and take as many as you want by holding down the button has really cheapened the art. I find myself doing it way too much until I catch myself, and then I start taking better pictures again.
Even with the ability to instent view and reshoot, I still only take one or two pictures of a subject like I did with film.
12-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #1298
Site Supporter

I learned in the days of film, and did B&W processing in the bedroom (not the best place for a darkroom!) and used Kodachrome. Both great learning media, for learning such things as compositiona nd exposure. I cannot help myself with digital - I still take my tim e to compose what I expect to be good, and as a result I get a reasonably good proportion of technically acceptable pictures, and plenty of nice results.
No point having hard drives full of stuff I woudl be too embarrassed to show to anyone else!

12-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #1299
Veteran Member

On the way in I saw one of my friends with his N branded machine.
It's okay, you can say the N-word here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlvr Quote
I will tell anybody if they think Pentax is rare now, try finding a Praktica.
I can sometimes be seen wandering the 49r Gold Rush country with a Praktica FX3 with waist-level viewfinder, usually with the Mir-1 BV 37/2.8 mounted. That plus my K20D make me the rarest bird in this region: the peripatetic Praktica-Pentax practitioner. And other Prakticas have been in my life recently. Sold the Super-TL, kept the L2. These Praktica SLRs and my Petri 7S rangefinder are my ultimate off-the-grid cameras: batteries not required!

QuoteQuote:
Oh, yes, this is my first posting. Hello everybody!
Welcome to the forums! Be careful, we will try to infect you with LBA (Lens-Buying Addiction). You have been warned. Have fun!
12-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #1300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Welcome to the forums! Be careful, we will try to infect you with LBA (Lens-Buying Addiction). You have been warned. Have fun!

I think that he takes too many pictures but without enough critical evaluation of them to learn quickly. I fear that will be the curse of the cheapness of digital photography.
that's why i shoot film time to time, even if i'm money-short to force myself to progress. And so far on roll, i get a far higher % of success than with digital.

No point having hard drives full of stuff I woudl be too embarrassed to show to anyone else!
keeping some of the crap i've shot is a good way to keep in mind what to NOT do

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's okay, you can say the N-word here.
You mean Nipples, right ?
12-24-2011, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #1301
Veteran Member

Sorry chaps I'm 51 and have been shooting since the age of 18 - some of you really need to move forward;-)

Digital IMHO especially when comparing to 35mm film emulsion is so far ahead - to keep on comparing is like living with your head buried in the sand.

The only reason for film is if your are seriously into black & white development.

The rarity of Pentax hanging around photogs necks is purely Pentax marketing's fault and secondly poor service delivery.

Please stop deluding yourselves that owning a Pentax makes you a special type of photographer - dslr's from all manufacture's will produce great pics.

Backward lens pairing is a non issue with the younger togs today, it certainly wsn't in my mind when I bought the K10D and I was 45 when I bought it.

Lastly I never had a problem shooting professionally alongside Nikon and Canon owners, nor did they ever deride me in my choice - the pictures did the talking.

I shot with my K10D alongside D3's D3s's 50D's 5D MK11 and never ever felt like I was snickered at - somehow my pics were always the ones chosen for publication.

I never ever owned a prime lens either and only shot with the 18-55 and 55-300 - yet some of my pics have been chosen for international publications and local magazines here.

Never once was using N&C a requirement.
12-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #1302

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Backward lens pairing is a non issue with the younger togs today
I must say, I'm 21 and I love being able to place a lovely 30 year old (or more) lens on my K20D and take awesome pictures. I am a huge fan of manual lenses, since I grew up shooting film SLRs, and in my opinion I do better work with them. Therefore to some of us it is an issue. I do agree though that film is a thing of the past, but I still enjoy placing a roll in my K1000 or Super Program every now and then. Everyone has their preferences, and backwards compatibility is a big thing for many photogs, no matter their age.
12-24-2011, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #1303
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I'm 56 and while I agree that digital is a massive advance on effective photography (getting an image) - I shoot for pleasure. To many a camera body or lens is just a tool. To me they can be works of art, or at least a demonstration of lost skill of expert assemblers.

Part of MY pleasure is using film to capture the image, with all the required decisions, judgement, choices and intuitive attempts to produce an effect on the print. Hearing and feeling a mechanical shutter fire in a K, KX or K2DMD is sublime. Manually focusing a brass and aluminum K series lens is a tactile pleasure.

I also fly fish for trout with 50 year old hand-laminated bamboo rods self-tied leaders and flies for much the same reasons, when a Boron-Graphite rod laid up on a computer-designed mandrel would give me much more punch into the wind and a better (easier, with less practice) fly presentation.

Whenever film finally completely goes away my cameras will be displayed as examples of fine craftsmanship.
12-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #1304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Found out at last nights Christmas party my girlfriend's cousin's husband shoots a K-x. Nothing more than just another camera to him though.
12-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #1305
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Found out at last nights Christmas party my girlfriend's cousin's husband shoots a K-x. Nothing more than just another camera to him though.
With a cousin's husband like that, it's not to late to dump the girl friend.

Tim