Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I belong to a photo club that has about a dozen regulars and six or eight part timers. Out of that there are 3 Pentaxians. The rest are split between Canoneers, Nikidiots, and even a Minolta film shooter.

08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
I belong to a photo club that has about a dozen regulars and six or eight part timers. Out of that there are 3 Pentaxians. The rest are split between Canoneers, Nikidiots, and even a Minolta film shooter.
easy now. I was a Nikon shooter and had been happy with my former gear before that except when costs became an issue. however, I won't consider all Nikon shooters to be idiots, but they can really be dismissive schmucks.
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
Our local photo club has over 100 members. I am the only Pentax dSLR shooter among them. There is one Olympus dSLR user, and all the rest are Canon and Nikon users. And yet, our local photo shop in a town of 50, 000 people, always stocks Pentax gear.

This weekend, I was out shooting a Pride Day parade. Everyone there was Canon or Nikon. I got a lot of curious stares, and one guy actually walked right up to my Pentax and got a real close look at the K20D. Not a word.

I feel so rejected and alone!
08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Our local photo club has over 100 members. I am the only Pentax dSLR shooter among them. There is one Olympus dSLR user, and all the rest are Canon and Nikon users. And yet, our local photo shop in a town of 50, 000 people, always stocks Pentax gear.

This weekend, I was out shooting a Pride Day parade. Everyone there was Canon or Nikon. I got a lot of curious stares, and one guy actually walked right up to my Pentax and got a real close look at the K20D. Not a word.

I feel so rejected and alone!
as long as you shoot and get better images than them, that's what matters. a friend of mine was a lone wolf himself. but got a lot of praise because his images turn out the best among the throng of images taken by Canon and Nikon shooters.

08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a local forum/club and we meet frequently. I'm the only active pentaxian among dozens of Canikons, 2 or 3 Sonys and 2 or 3 Olys. A few weeks ago I was shooting a sporting event (Gasp!) and a Canon shooter next to me looked at me, saw my Pentax and asked: "Are you Ismael?" I was stumped and he said "I figured it out by the Pentax" He happened to be a rather quiet member of our forum. He complimented me on my role in the club and we had a nice chat for a few minutes.
So... Does that make me unique or notorious?

Thanks,
08-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #126
Veteran Member

For a second I was thinking to myself, OMG, a Moby Dick allusion!
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #127
Veteran Member

that's the good thing of being alone, they identify you as the guy who shoots Pentax. you don't have to ask the question, "which one"?

heck, when I first inquired about the K20D, the salesperson referred to me as "the Pentax guy", since I was only th one which have an interest on a Pentax in their CaNikon dominated store.

08-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I've been introduced Pentax(some new users; some who had used Pentax 35mm film and didn't not know they can still use their old glasses on the new DSLR); I think I got at least 16 people buying the K-x after I talk to them about Pentax around Central Iowa area... I think Pentax shooter are growing, Pentax really need to change its marketing strategy to let more older Pentax 35mm shooters know that they are still existing and well made...
I read an article earlier today about full frame (getting caught up in the Photokina rumors on this site...) and came across this quote:
"Well, there are millions of Pentax Screw mount lenses out there and nobody makes a camera body that uses them." You can read the whole thing at this link: Full frame DSLRs - or not?

I could lend him a couple of adapters...

We on this site are well aware of the benefits of Pentax's backwards lens compatibility, but there are plenty of people out there spreading mis- or partial information.

There's been a lot of posts about the need for marketing, roadmaps, etc. Those things are needed. I don't really think the consumers really understand the superb value Pentax brings to photography.
08-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
We on this site are well aware of the benefits of Pentax's backwards lens compatibility, but there are plenty of people out there spreading mis- or partial information.
I don't disagree with your point about the advantages of backwards compatibility, but Bob Atkins' comment (that nobody makes a body that can use all those old screw mount lenses) is not "misinformation". If you read that comment in its context, it was part of his argument that today's heavy investment in APS-C optimized lenses will NOT, in itself, prevent the market from moving to 36x24 or anything else. Technologies that people have invested heavily in have died before.

Will
08-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #130
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I don't disagree with your point about the advantages of backwards compatibility, but Bob Atkins' comment (that nobody makes a body that can use all those old screw mount lenses) is not "misinformation". If you read that comment in its context, it was part of his argument that today's heavy investment in APS-C optimized lenses will NOT, in itself, prevent the market from moving to 36x24 or anything else. Technologies that people have invested heavily in have died before.

Will
The thing is, the aps-c/24x36 debate is mutually exclusive of legacy glass. Pentax legacy glass was made for ff bodies. Even the DA ltds may be usable if and when Pentax rolls out a ff body if they could come up with a system that works like Nikon and only uses a part of the sensor when one of those lenses are used. Bob's problem is he has his head up his proverbial Canon butt and can only see and think in terms of Canon crap.
08-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Guess, I'm lucky. In our photo club with about 60 active members, there are 3 K20D shooters and a guy who just quit Canon for a K-x.
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #132
Forum Member

Did he say why he quit Canon?
08-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #133
Veteran Member

haha shooting Pentax is rare enough, try the fulltime "manual focuses" part. Throw in weddings and you really get the eye opener lol.
08-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #134
Forum Member

I don't know, I only pay enough attention to other photogs to keep them out of the frame. :-P

In all seriousness, I have to drive a hundred miles to access a store with any appreciable pentax gear.

What's been killing me lately is finding sites on the web where Canon users slaughter perfect pentax glass to make a cheap tilt-shift or similar. It's one thing to destroy say a Minolta manual focus, or a canon FD, but to destructively convert relatively rare Pentax gear to Canon lenses? Someone must speak for the K mounts, they cannot speak for themselves!
08-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m88k Quote
I don't know, I only pay enough attention to other photogs to keep them out of the frame. :-P

In all seriousness, I have to drive a hundred miles to access a store with any appreciable pentax gear.

What's been killing me lately is finding sites on the web where Canon users slaughter perfect pentax glass to make a cheap tilt-shift or similar. It's one thing to destroy say a Minolta manual focus, or a canon FD, but to destructively convert relatively rare Pentax gear to Canon lenses? Someone must speak for the K mounts, they cannot speak for themselves!
must be unhappy with their premium lenses.