Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #1336
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote

I don't know how many times I've had people tell me this...
Haha, that's the first time I have seen a meme on this forum so I had to follow up with my own

(not the correct use here, but I thought it fit the them perfectly)

02-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #1337
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Before I attended the California Photo Fest last fall I bought a couple of the "Yes, its a Pentax" polo shirts. A couple of the professional instructors and several fellow students said they remembered me specifically because of my shirt - and the fact that I was the only Pentax shooter among a couple dozen instructors and several hundred attendees. I was sort of "that crazy Pentax guy." I am betting that if I go again this year, some will remember me more for the shirt and the attitude than the camera.
02-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #1338
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Apparently here in France the brand seem to be quite well known, since I got my K-r 2 months ago I've met a bunch (~10) of people on the street out taking pictures just like me, and actually 3 of them, had Pentax DSLR's, which then make 4 with me, now this is far from a scientific study, but it feels like more than just a coincidence (more or less the rest had Canon, only met one Nikon).
02-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #1339

@ RioRico
I was in Geneva to take some photos. Some other persons have done the same.
I have just seen that there were some other persons with Pentax DSLR. Of course also N and C.

02-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #1340
Veteran Member

I don't find Pentax to be all that uncommon in my town, actually. I know 4 people who are photographers as their primary profession(Including a teacher at the Craft College), and 3 of those are shooting Pentax. Of course, this is the same town where 40% of the bus stops I see have a Pentax Ad slapped on em.(Over 380 Lens Choices, *One* Shake Reduction System PENTAX.[Or something like that])

Though, yes, Pentax is a much less well known company. I was unaware of their existence in the DSLR market until I moved to Canada.

Next time someone asks, just show them an older than hell lens being stabilized...they'll get it then.(Part of my reason for purchasing the K-5 was to save a little cash on IS/VR/OS Lenses, makes it easier to find a lens when they're *all* SRed) /ramble
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #1341
Veteran Member

First things first, I am 25 years old.
I never owned a dslr until last year, and I only dabbled here and there with an SLR in highschool.
I'm a photo enthusiast and pursued taking pictures to capture moments and people's portrait photos with my phone camera and cheap compact digital cameras.

Last year, my interest in photography has hiked to a serious level, and wanted to buy a DSLR so bad. Hence, I started doing research for the "best" camera.
I looked up Canon and Nikon, of course. Without much research, I would have gone with a cheap Canon Rebel series. But then I started doing more research and found Pentax.
I never knew Pentax made a DSLR because I thought Pentax have perished in the digital era. I never knew Pentax DSLR has been heavily shadowed by CanNikon.
But once I've looked up the images produced by camera candidates, Rebel xti vs. K-x, the choice was clear.

I don't think I'll ditch Pentax anytime soon.
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #1342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you made a sound bet!

Show us some images!

02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #1343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I'm heading to Disneyland in Aneheim this weekend. I will be venturning forth with my Pentax K-x around my neck the whole day, so if you see me, say 'Hi!'
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #1344
Veteran Member

I had a K-x for about 3 months, then got myself a K20D. For some reason, I like the results on K20D a lot more than I did on my k-x, so I sold k-x.
My main interest in photography is portraits of people in Cosplay. Basically people in costumes.

Here's a link to a thread of some of the photos I like to take : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/160372-people-cosplay-whatnot.html
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #1345

I think a lot of it comes down to availability. Ritz Camera and Talls Camera in the mall across the street from me both don't carry Pentax. But 2 of the smaller locally owned camera businesses DO carry Pentax. Along with quite a bit of used Pentax goodies as well. Seems the more established businesses think that its too expensive to carry Pentax items. Or that they're not even available any more. But, that doesn't bother me. I'd rather go with the underdog and pay less for the same quality than pay over bloated prices for Cannon and such. It seems the smaller companies make the more interesting items.
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #1346

The first rule of Pentax?

Last edited by Patajac; 03-22-2013 at 05:24 AM.
02-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #1347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ComputerControlled Quote
It seems the smaller companies make the more interesting items.
Smaller companies have a choice, either do a "me too" product at a lower price or make a more interesting product, niche marketing. If this is what Pentax is trying to do, then they are being successful with it. However, they can also throw in some Gorilla Marketing (getting the camera in the hands of some famous people or at big events to create a buzz) and get even more of a bump in product awareness.

That said, however, maybe they are afraid of success. Maybe they do not want to increase capacity because they are already at capacity for their current offerings and increasing capacity would incur more of a cost than they are willing to take on right now. With Ricoh now in the picture, maybe they can branch out more by adding their capacity (unless Ricoh was trying to shift THEIR production to Pentax's lines).

Ah, to be a fly on the wall of the Pentax executive board meetings!

Regards,
02-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #1348
Veteran Member

attended several fashion show last week in NY
I am very pround of being an unique Pentax user!!

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
02-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #1349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We visited with our two granddaughters, Audrey two and Sofia, a big girl of four, at the Atlanta Children's Museum today. I packed my K10d with a Promaster handle flash mounted and a backpack (the $35 special from Amazon) containing a couple of extra lenses. Sporting my golf shirt proclaiming "Yes, Its a Pentax" I was good to go! Saw a number of Canikon DSLRs, and the usual P&S boxes, plus the ubiquitous cell cameras. Why do so many of the latter have to simulate a shutter sound? And a loud one at that! My Vitessa L is virtually silent.

At one point a young guy, late teens or early 20s, called out, "Awesome camera!" I thanked him and he added, "Like your shirt!" I told him, "Gotta fly the flag!" Who knows, he might end up treading the blessed path....
02-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1350

I only know two other persons that use Pentax, one is my friend, to which I recommended a Pentax (K100D), and the other is a professionnal photographer who works for a local newspaper. Oh, and there's a guy from which i'm about to buy a used *istDL2, but I don't know yet if he's bought himself a new Pentax or a Canikon.