Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #1411
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Be careful. The ones in the wild can be quite elusive and can get aggressive if you spook them, sort of like Sasquatches, but not as tall or hairy (usually). :O LOL

Regards,
The city-lurking specimens seemed quite peaceful

04-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #1412
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

I feel ya. Same here. And I come across these people almost every day... (by the way, is that Jennifer Lawrence?)
ya that's her. I love that gif.
04-05-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #1413

Pentax in the wild

The first modern Pentax I saw in the wild was a K10D.
It had the grip on it.
It fit my hand.
I retired my ME and bought a K10D (and had half a dozen bouts with LBA).
Then they came out with the K7 and I convinced my wife to give up on her point and shoot. My plan was to give her the K10D and get the K7 for me. But the K7 is too small for my hands so my wife got it... and loves it.
I have never seen another DSLR Pentax in the wild... sure glad I saw that first one.
04-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #1414

QuoteOriginally posted by mxpentaxian68 Quote
Most people in Mexico buy point and shoot cameras; except maybe for journalists or professional photographers, there are only a few places where you can buy a DSLR and they all handle either Canon, Nikon or Sony.
I did some research a couple of years ago and there was a representative or distributor for Pentax in Mexico City; that was all. When I was about 16 my father let me borrow his SLR (I believe it was a Minolta or Olympus); and that's when I got really interested in photography. A year later I had managed to save some money and I was on vacation in Houston, TX; went to a store (can't remember which one it was, this was in 1985); I could not afford an autofocus camera (which would have been a Nikon or a Canon), so the salesman showed me the only SLR I could afford: a Pentax K-1000 with a 50mm f1.7 lens. A few years later the company that I worked for sent me to a trade show in New York City, where I bought a mechanical timer, a remote shooting cable and a Vivitar 28-200 mm zoom lens.

I was very lucky to have been offered that K-1000; I have always lived on a tight budget and I was still shooting film in 2006; when I was able to buy a point and shoot digital camera, which was really disappointing, since I learned those cameras are only good for portraits in good lighting conditions. In 2010 things started to get better on the money side, and I decided to make the leap to a DSLR; I never considered anything else, I knew from the very beginning I would buy a Pentax. My wife would have killed me if I spent $1000 on a camera; so I went for the Kx; and then I chose the blue one because it was $40 less than the black one.

So here I am, using two 27 year old lenses and the one that came with the Kx; shooting the one that is probably the only BLUE DSLR in all of Mexico. Good thing if some one steals it and tries to resell it, I can track it right away, since it's almost unique around here.

Hi mxpentaxian68:
Welcomed! Now there are (at least) two of us in Monterrey. Your story is quite the same as mine except that my K-x is black.

In a few days there will be another pentaxian here in Monterrey. I have a nephew studying arts and he requires a good camera to continue his education. I convinced him to buy a used K-x with the 18-55 kit lens. Actually, what convinced him was both my recommendation as well as the lower cost of doing so instead of buying another brand of camera. This camera is coming from another fellow pentaxian from right this same forum. It is a black K-x and should be here within a week. We were beat to a white body which would have been swell but blacks are the more common used bodies. I hope he will be able to really appreciate the brand.

For now, once again, welcomed!

Norberto

04-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #1415

QuoteOriginally posted by mxpentaxian68 Quote
Perdon, tres!
(Sorry, there's three of us)
Who's the third? From Monterrey?
04-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #1416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks like there is a Pentax sleeper cell in Mexico! That's enough to start a club in your area!

Shoot on!
04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1417

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
looks like there is a Pentax sleeper cell in Mexico! That's enough to start a club in your area!

Shoot on!
I guess that was in the back of my mind.

04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #1418
Veteran Member

So far, I've influenced two of my friends to go Pentax -and into manual lens. Hoping to do more this year, wish me luck!
04-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #1419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
So far, I've influenced two of my friends to go Pentax -and into manual lens. Hoping to do more this year, wish me luck!
We're with you
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #1420
Veteran Member

Saw one guy in a flash about 2 weeks ago at Longwood Gardens. Didn't even realize it until he was pretty much gone...
04-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #1421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Went to the Atlanta Zoo Saturday with the granddaughters. There was a sizeable crowd, lots of P&S cameras, cell phone cameras, Canikons ... not one Pentax did I see!

Its often amazing to see the various camera handling styles. An old saying I've heard is that every photographer drops a camera at least once. I dropped one, only a foot or so onto a table, when I was in my teens. Since then I've been fanatical about keeping the strap about my neck, or wrapped around my wrist. At the zoo I saw a young woman take a pic of her husband with a Nikon DSLR, one handed, with the strap dangling free. How long before that camera crashes to the concrete?
04-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #1422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
At the zoo I saw a young woman take a pic of her husband with a Nikon DSLR, one handed, with the strap dangling free. How long before that camera crashes to the concrete?
Yes, but you see, if you have the strap around your neck, you "look like a tourist". Heaven forfend that one should "look like a tourist", especially while, um, touring.
04-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #1423
Pentaxian

I use a neck strap only rarely, and take it off when shooting. I could probably use a wrist or hand strap, but haven't tried it. (I do use a wrist strap on my tiny P&S as that is harder to hold on to.) Haven't dropped a camera yet in 20+ years. I have banged them on the table from a height of a few inches when not locking down a tripod with an horizontal extension column completely (so the camera flips upside-down).
04-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #1424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I use a neck strap only rarely, and take it off when shooting. I could probably use a wrist or hand strap, but haven't tried it. (I do use a wrist strap on my tiny P&S as that is harder to hold on to.) Haven't dropped a camera yet in 20+ years. I have banged them on the table from a height of a few inches when not locking down a tripod with an horizontal extension column completely (so the camera flips upside-down).
I usually wrap the strap around my wrist or stick my elbow in to stabilize the camera.
04-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #1425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife took the family (three children and fiance) to the Faculty Club for Easter Brunch. The 70-ish (Grandmas mostly) had their PnS cams with autoflashes popping throughout the meal. Those 25 - 50 generally had a phone (mine asked for group shots with each phone - even though I could have emailed by now) or Canon dSLR with a zoom lens (I counted 7) and 2 Nikons mostly shooting their own baby children. Aside from my K-01 I was the only Pentax. I got some really fun looks when I had the DA55~300 mounted but no one said anything (not surprising - very staid, formal club) but I felt completely anonymous with the DA40. Alas, we had such an early spring that all the flowering plants have already gone by. Nothing left now but the Dogwood. I felt quite rare.

The darker the man's suit and lighter the pastel the tie - the higher the probability he had a dSKR. FWIW, I saw no women with a dSLR.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.