Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #1426
Veteran Member

The past 2 weeks, I've been around the UW campus shooting the cherry blossoms, and I spotted 2 other Pentax cameras (besides my own of course). Not the usual colorful K-x/K-rs I usually see, but either K-5s or K-7s (I'd recognize that body design anywhere)! One appeared to be a tourist with a either a DA 18-250 or 17-70 (only DA lenses I know of that have dual cam barrels), while the other looked like a student using a large telephoto and tripod.

The only other (former) flagship Pentax DSLR I've ever seen in the wild is a K10D last year.

04-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1427
Inactive Account

Yes, we are, Sir. But we are parts of the proud owners of Pentax, so lift your head up lads.
Being different is the part of being interesting though.

It's rather sad also when people out there know only the mainstream brands they think only two brands out there produce DSLR.
They asked "Pentax? Is that a new brand?" (Happened to me once!)
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1428
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by celebesario Quote
Yes, we are, Sir. But we are parts of the proud owners of Pentax, so lift your head up lads.
And all this time I thought I had a Pentax because I went to the store and paid for it. Now I learn that having one is a personal accomplishment to be proud of.....
04-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #1429
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
And all this time I thought I had a Pentax because I went to the store and paid for it. Now I learn that having one is a personal accomplishment to be proud of.....
Yes of course we paid it, but feel how we made the decision to be different when paying the sum of money to get Pentax.

04-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1430
Veteran Member

I've only ever met one other Pentax user in the wild, and he didnt have his camera with him, but he did spot mine (a K200D at the time) and introduced himself... and that would be Bramela (Bruce). I have never seen any Pentax users in any of the places I go to, normally. Mostly its Canon.

Interestingly, I would probably not have considered Pentax if it weren't for two or three intervening factors... 1) There were no current Minolta models in existence that would take my old lenses... and nor would Sony. 2) A friend who had a K1000 years back when she was doing a fine Arts course absolutely swore by them, and I loved her work and 3) the startup cost for Pentax was half what it was for any other brand, and I got weather sealing and a top LCD into the bargain. It was a no brainer. I didnt really learn about the rest of what Pentax had to offer until I began hanging out in this forum.
04-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #1431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by celebesario Quote
Yes of course we paid it, but feel how we made the decision to be different when paying the sum of money to get Pentax.
Fawning fanboy nonsense I am embarrassed to be even indirectly associated with.
04-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #1432
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here in Brisbane, Australia, I have never seen Pentax DSLR in photo-shops,but seen them in such shops as GoodGuys, K-mart. For instance, today I found clearance of Pentax k-x with SIGMA 18-200 for $500 in Target.

Correction: not long ago I have seen practically full range of Pentax, Q, k-01,x, r, 5.

Last edited by bvg; 05-15-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Update
04-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #1433
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the mention KiteFlyer. I remember the meeting well. There is another K5 user at the same place you met me. So there are at least a few of us around here. I hope all is going well with your Pentax shooting
04-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #1434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Interestingly, I would probably not have considered Pentax if it weren't for two or three intervening factors... 1) There were no current Minolta models in existence that would take my old lenses... and nor would Sony. 2) A friend who had a K1000 years back when she was doing a fine Arts course absolutely swore by them, and I loved her work and 3) the startup cost for Pentax was half what it was for any other brand, and I got weather sealing and a top LCD into the bargain. It was a no brainer. I didnt really learn about the rest of what Pentax had to offer until I began hanging out in this forum.
Not to turn this into a WHY I CHOSE PENTAX thread, but... to parallel your points:

(1) I'd been gifted with Minolta MD glass and one Alpha body and lens; and my P&S digicams were all Sony. I've accumulated much Sony gear since 1980. My research and analysis still showed that my first dSLR should be Pentax.

(2) Not relevant. I'd had zero contact with Pentax in past decades.

(3) ABSOLUTELY! I moved from an advanced P&S to dSLR because I wanted ultrawide, superzoom, and speed. Nobody else had anything like the DA10-17 at a reasonable price, and other-brand users bitched more about their cameras, so my first kit was K20D and DA10-17 and DA18-250 and FA50/1.4 and AF360 -- with the K20D out-spec'ing everything else in the price range. That whole package cost less than the body of the next-'better' camera. I'd handled Canikony dSLRs; but I went Pentax without ever fondling one, because the numbers worked out.

And with a bigger budget, I'd be a 645D owner like the guy I ran into a couple days ago.
04-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #1435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

And with a bigger budget, I'd be a 645D owner like the guy I ran into a couple days ago.
If you sell the lenses you don't "need", I'm sure you could get a pretty decent MF kit together. Though I'm not sure anyone has enough money to buy everything...
04-09-2012, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #1436
Site Supporter

I do more reading here than posting so I was "late" to the party. Still my first post in this thread was #462, almost 1000 posts ago! Simply amazing! Let's try to keep it going until we're no longer rare in the camera world.
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #1437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If you sell the lenses you don't "need", I'm sure you could get a pretty decent MF kit together. Though I'm not sure anyone has enough money to buy everything...
Ha. If I sold my lesser-used and -needed and -desired lenses at current market prices, I'd likely raise enough to buy a DA*50-135 -- which isn't on my wish-list anyway. And if I really went into DMF, I'd have to sell virtually *everything*. I'd get to keep a few longer enlarger lenses; they could be bellows-mounted on a 645D. All else: gone gone gone. [/me peers into the void, shudders, draws back...]
04-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #1438
Veteran Member

I was part of a recent Chinese/Easter parade on the weekend in a small country town in Australia called Bendigo and during the parade I noticed several Pentax cameras ranging from early k-'s to even an *ist. No k-5's (I was looking!) or K-r's however.
04-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #1439
Banned

Photos: Albums
Most unfortunate that...

Gone is the day when one used to see many dozens of Pentax's running around; from professionals, to casual users, (and here is the most major segment) students.

Pentax needs to get another student level camera out there
04-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #1440
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Most unfortunate that...

Gone is the day when one used to see many dozens of Pentax's running around; from professionals, to casual users, (and here is the most major segment) students.

Pentax needs to get another student level camera out there
I'd say the KR/KX were both good entry level (ie student) cameras. Problem is any Photography/journalism/media studies Student is going to buy with an eye towards their career. Part of that involves having the FF upgrade path (never an issue in Film days since the upgrade path was medium format for a lot of serious pro work so lens compatability wasn't the issue, you would be running 2 systems)
Right now when they look at the brand (and one of the best Pentax dealers in Toronto is right by the school with the most photographers as well - the one normhead taught at BTW) they don't see that path with just 2 bodies. I know there are a couple of photo students working at the shop and at least one has a Pentax 67, but they shoot canikon for their digital because they want the FF (if they haven't already bought it)