Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
In the attic in Florida, oh my!
She was originally from upstate NY, so I think (hope) that's where the attic in question is located....

08-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #107

Come to the Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend near Linville, NC next year. It is the (un)official annual meetup of the PDML. There were Pentaxes everywhere I looked...
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #108
Forum Member

Of the few people I am friends with who have Dslrs none use Pentax - although I was stoked when I started a camera course last week and the instructor was Pentax user and as I am very much a newbie still, the ability to have someone who actually knows your camera has been really really helpful!
08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, everytime we go out shooting around here in Singapore, I see so many Pentax users, almost made me dumping Pentax and going for a leica ...

08-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Call me basis but I think Pentax aren't popular in the US for good reason - Americans are simply too obsessed of the size. Don't believe me? Look at all the big bulky heavy cars that they have built, the most fuel hungry jet engine powered tanks, the way jumbo-sized fat filled fast foods, and not to mention those God knows why any sane people would go for big ugly fake implants. The reason is really simply - if it is big, we love it. Small Pentax? FAILED!
I thought I'd break my reply to your points into separate groups.

Back when i was in high school there were a few unwritten rules that everybody I knew went by. One of the rules was "Don't speak ill of someone else's car if you don't have one of your own." Can you name the major Canadian automakers for me? The only cars that I am aware of being built in Canada are "big bulky heavy" full size Dodge trucks.

Fuel consumption is pretty far down my personal checklist when it comes to tank design. I'm far more concerned with "Can it blow the crap out of the other guy?" and "Can it take a beating and still run?".

The last time I was in Canada, the vast majority of fast food restaurants were the same ones we have here in the US, serving mostly the same items. Okay, Taco Bell had French Fries (gross by the way), but the rest of the menu had the same crap on it. Wait, I forgot! The sodas at the Taco Bell were HUGE compared to the ones in the US.

Honestly, I'd much rather talk with someone with "big ugly fake" implants than some smug, arrogant, condescending individual who obviously has no clue what he is talking about.

We also love small here in the US. Ever heard of a little invention called the microprocessor? People in the US love small cameras. For example, the Pentax M line was very popular here in its day.
08-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen a bunch of K-x, some K100, K10 and K7 this summer (travelling in Sweden and Denmark). Last week one of the clerks approached me in our local grocery shop and wanted to look at the K-7 (she had a K100D at home). Outnumbered, yes, on the other hand I didn't see anyone of them holding their DSLR with straight arms looking at the display like a point-and-shoot, but I've seen plenty of Canikon shooters do that. I've so far only seen one Olympus micro-4/3rd here (despite that they advertise heavily), and a few weeks ago I saw my first Sony DSLR on the streets (and that was a German tourist). I even see more old Konica-Minolta cameras than new Sony's, so my guess is that they sell less cameras than Pentax around here. Sure we are more rare than the Canikons, but I can't say I feel alone. My wife and kids shoot Pentax (optios'), my parents, brother, and father-in-law shoot Pentax DSLRs, and I have colleagues at work who shoot Pentax. My only local photo/camera shop has Pentax as their only DSLR brand. They don't have much in stock (small place), but I can order anything from them or have them send in things for service. I'm talking walking distance from home = on the way to my work = I can drop in and chat with them or pick up some film that's benn developed before I shop food, and I handled the K-m and K-x there for the first time when they were new. They even had a Pentax representant there demonstrating new gear half a year ago.
08-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
It's Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA (just north of Dulles Airport...

Don't expect a whole display case or anything. They still have lots more Canon and Nikon gear than anything else, but they usually have at least a couple of Pentax bodies as well as a decent selection of Pentax and other K-mount lenses. And several of the salesmen shoot Pentax at least part-time (being camera store guys they tend to shoot multiple systems) so no one will look at you weird when you ask to look at something.

Mike
haha, thanks mike, i'll be sure to check it out in my free time, dulles its a good 45min-hour drive from severna park on a good day, but anything to see some pentax gears that is not mine.

08-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take note of these things too. While traveling in Japan I saw a fair number of Kxs. Here in the US I have seen K10s and K20s. I was surprised to find out my former Minolta user friend is a KX guy now. At the zoo here in Indianapolis I see a surprisingly large number of film users with older Pentax cameras (K1000s, M series, even Spotmatics!) In Canada (Ottawa) again I saw a couple digital Pentax SLRs. I just want there to be enough Pentax users to keep the engineers employed! So far, so good.
08-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Call me basis but I think Pentax aren't popular in the US for good reason - Americans are simply too obsessed of the size. Don't believe me? Look at all the big bulky heavy cars that they have built, the most fuel hungry jet engine powered tanks, the way jumbo-sized fat filled fast foods, and not to mention those God knows why any sane people would go for big ugly fake implants. The reason is really simply - if it is big, we love it. Small Pentax? FAILED!
This post is a crock. Pentax sold well in the U.S. from the 50s through the 1980's which coincide with the muscle car era. The part in red is the biggest crock of all. Small Pentax taught Nikon and Canon what an SLR was. They were busy making mimics of the Leica sm and Contax rangefinders. The German firms were in denial about Japanese SLR cameras until 1968. It has more to do with marketing than in single facet. Pentax slid when they lost their places in the Photography counters in Sears and the old K-Mart and then in the camera stores. I don't know what the best tank has to do with it.
08-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This post is a crock. Pentax sold well in the U.S. from the 50s through the 1980's which coincide with the muscle car era. The part in red is the biggest crock of all. Small Pentax taught Nikon and Canon what an SLR was. They were busy making mimics of the Leica sm and Contax rangefinders. The German firms were in denial about Japanese SLR cameras until 1968. It has more to do with marketing than in single facet. Pentax slid when they lost their places in the Photography counters in Sears and the old K-Mart and then in the camera stores. I don't know what the best tank has to do with it.
Add to that the fact that every Canon owner I know here lusts after a 5d, and mostly because it takes FF down to a reasonable size.

The only wistful comments I get from CaNikon users is over the size of my cameras and lenses.
08-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #116
Inactive Account

Frank
I read you are from Singapore. In the next few months i plan on driving down from Thailand. Now in Chiang Mai. If there are pentax users there then i guess there are shops????? If so let me know where.
I am birding in the north now but am working my way down to Malayasa then Singapore. I am not a huge fan of Pentax anymore but i have a lot of glass and it is very good. I've got my fingers crossed about the new models comming. And i should be in the area after the release.
Thanks, Gary
08-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #117
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I live in Ironbridge in the UK, it's a World Heritage Site and a huge tourist draw all year, in the summer it's packed out.

A few days ago I was walking through the town and there were three large coaches full of young Japanese tourists coming down the road towards me, and as the regulation for being a Japanese tourist requires they were fully loaded with the newest DSLR's money could buy.

I saw so many differently coloured KX's I lost count, and there were also a good amount of K7's.
Yes, they were seriously outnumbered by the CaNikons, but it was a significant amount of Pentax's.

Many of them were also in awe of my battered old K10 and the Industar 50-2 that was adorning it, the Pentax brand doesn't seem to be doing that badly.
Nice. Gotta believe that if anybody knows their cameras, particularly what's happening in the camera scene now, it's the Japanese, particularly the well-healed Japanese who would be traveling to the other side of the planet. I suppose this would apply to South Koreans, too. I've seen bus loads (off loaded) of Asian tourists who all seemed to have a camera around their neck or in their hands. They love their technology.
08-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
you don't pull up to a Ford and start talking to the bloke because he is also driving a Ford- for all you know he is a complete prick.
Interesting seeing as you're in Mel... Holden vs Ford is a biggie...

I bought into Pentax because my Canon PnS superzoom was great in light, but otherwise a superpoor. When looking at DSLRs, Pentax gave the most "yeah" realism/fun (yes, they can be intertwined!) to my mind.
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gary1952 Quote
Frank
I read you are from Singapore. In the next few months i plan on driving down from Thailand. Now in Chiang Mai. If there are pentax users there then i guess there are shops????? If so let me know where.
I am birding in the north now but am working my way down to Malayasa then Singapore. I am not a huge fan of Pentax anymore but i have a lot of glass and it is very good. I've got my fingers crossed about the new models comming. And i should be in the area after the release.
Thanks, Gary
Yeah, I'm here in Singapore. Please send me a PM if you are on the way down, so I can arrange a meet up with some local Pentaxians if you like As creampuff said above, we have our monthly Pentax outing set on one of those Saturdays, the turn out has been pretty good so far.

Look forward to meeting you soon.
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Just outside of Philly here. I've actually seen 4 other Pentax's (1 of them in Maine) in the 3 years I've been shooting, though I've met 3 other people (2 from here) that do shoot Pentax. I've never seen anyone with a Sony or Olympus DSLR, though I did see a kid at work with an EP-1.