Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was in a local photo store (Boot's, FWIW) this weekend and noticed a lot more Pentax stuff on the shelves and even Pentax advertising in the form of display counter mats, banners and mice pads. I remarked that I hadn't seen that before and the clerk told me that they have "finally gotten some new Pentax bodies - Kx and K7 - to sell." We then launched into a discussion about the Kx beating out the Canon Rebels and even the T1i - and he is a Canon 5D guy. Perhaps there is hope yet.

08-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
When did Pentax institute new prices? They went way up?
Well it hjappened after Hoya acquired Pentax. I think that lens prices in Europe went up something like two years ago. Some of them more than doubled. I am very lucky that I have managed to complete my lens lineup before that price hike.
08-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I am very lucky that I have managed to complete my lens lineup.
Is that really possible?
08-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is that really possible?
Well, I've got my three amigos (FA limiteds) and then lens price hike cured my LBA

08-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I was in a local photo store (Boot's, FWIW) this weekend and noticed a lot more Pentax stuff on the shelves and even Pentax advertising in the form of display counter mats, banners and mice pads. I remarked that I hadn't seen that before and the clerk told me that they have "finally gotten some new Pentax bodies - Kx and K7 - to sell." We then launched into a discussion about the Kx beating out the Canon Rebels and even the T1i - and he is a Canon 5D guy. Perhaps there is hope yet.
which Rebel did I ever liked? None.
08-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I see plenty of Pentax DSLR's in Ontario, Canada - mind you it is far less than Canon or Nikon (but significantly more than Olympus or Sony).
I've seen a few K-x's in Northern Ontario. I live in a town of 160,00 and there are three chain dealers here (Henry's, Black's and Future Shop) here that stock Pentax. I was in Huntsville, a town of 20,000 and there was at least one dealer that I know of. I think Pentax Canada is doing a better marketing job than Pentax U.S.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
08-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Vancouver I’ve only run into one Pentax DSLR shooter, but many Pentax SLR shooters. (Lots of people here still shoot film) Every (bricks & mortar) camera store I know of in Vancouver sells Pentax.

I always have a laugh when I’m out with a Pentax SLR and my K1000/8 lens. The only people who will talk to me are former Pentax SLR owners, the Canikon crowd just scatter like mice.

Phil.

08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #158
Veteran Member

At the big Oshkosh air show, I did not notice a single Pentax or Sony SLR user. One person with an EVIL with telephoto zoom (squinting at the LCD) while pointing it to the sky, but nothing else that wasn't Canon or Nikon. I did get some inquiries, though, about my Sigma 100-300mm f/4. I simply said that sometimes a big job needs a big tool.

At one point, a middle-aged gentleman flagged me down. He was equipped a D3X, Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR II, TC of some sort, and two straps. Two straps as he was not really interested in dropping his $10k+ kit.

He approached me to ask about the Blackrapid double strap I was using with the deadbolts that screw solidly into the tripod mount.

He may have had the better camera system but I had the preferred strap system!
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #159
Veteran Member

And I did run across one other Pentax shooting among a dozen in a lighting class locally.

I won't count my friend across the street because the reason he's a Pentax owner is that I gave him an *ist.

Maybe we should seed the market with used cameras into schools???
08-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
In Vancouver I’ve only run into one Pentax DSLR shooter, but many Pentax SLR shooters. (Lots of people here still shoot film) Every (bricks & mortar) camera store I know of in Vancouver sells Pentax.

I always have a laugh when I’m out with a Pentax SLR and my K1000/8 lens. The only people who will talk to me are former Pentax SLR owners, the Canikon crowd just scatter like mice.

Phil.

Phil, just ask them, does your dslr have these (pointing at your Pentax Lens Collection) ?

obviously, in the end, it comes done to glass. I'm getting ready for the day that I would encounter someone that would walk to me and talk me out of using a Pentax, where I would refute that if such camera does take those lenses, then I'm on board.

although having said so, if Pentax doesn't release a FF, I will jump on getting a FF dslr where I could use some specific lenses for some particular purpose.

I have no complaints whatsoever with regards to IQ, I love it but would like to have a certain system where I could use a 35mm lens for what it is, and Pentax also needs to improve it's AF speed and accuracy.
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Phil, just ask them, does your dslr have these (pointing at your Pentax Lens Collection) ?

obviously, in the end, it comes done to glass. I'm getting ready for the day that I would encounter someone that would walk to me and talk me out of using a Pentax, where I would refute that if such camera does take those lenses, then I'm on board.

although having said so, if Pentax doesn't release a FF, I will jump on getting a FF dslr where I could use some specific lenses for some particular purpose.

I have no complaints whatsoever with regards to IQ, I love it but would like to have a certain system where I could use a 35mm lens for what it is, and Pentax also needs to improve it's AF speed and accuracy.
That’s a good point about the ability to use old glass on new bodies. Pentax has always been great about giving new camera bodies the ability to directly, or with an adapter, use older lenses. Even making cross platform adapters, like the 6x7 to K-mount.

Also current or previous Pentax owners seem to be a friendly bunch and frequently stop for a chat about equipment. I’ve had chats leading to camera swaps with Pentax DSLR, 6x7 & 35mm SLR shooters, where we try each others stuff out for size. As well as nice talks with older folks who previously owned Spotmatics, K1000s or other Pentax classics.

I’m still waiting for a Canikon stranger to even acknowledge my presence, let alone engage me in a conversation.

Phil.
08-12-2010, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I look at it, it's like a "Motorcycle Wave", when I see someone with a Pentax out in the "Wild" I practically run up to them and talk about our cameras. It's hysterical when I see a Pentax out there.

It's like a small exclusive club and I'm *very* happy to be different!

Pentax FTW for the last 30 years!

:
08-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #163
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
...................... "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"
My answer would have been: "Because I'm a serious photographer, not a serious brand-snob"
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #164

I've worked in labor ward for awhile, and seen quite a few amateur to professional cameras, and I think I'm the only one out of several hundred with a Pentax! I've seen more Olympus SLR's than anything I think.
08-13-2010, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My good friend Mike, which I call "My spiritual leader in the dark world of photography" says it all in his online signature:

"Amateurs worry about equipment. Pros worry about money. Masters worry about light"