Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My good friend Mike, which I call "My spiritual leader in the dark world of photography" says it all in his online signature:

"Amateurs worry about equipment. Pros worry about money. Masters worry about light"

+2 That is an awesome quote.

08-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #167
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the ergo and build doesn't look impressive. those two things are also major factors in a camera's appeal. the Sony NEX for example are ugly as hell.
Read a newspaper article yesterday describing the NEX3 and NEX5 as seeming like a cell phone, not a camera (I haven't seen them). The reviewer loves them, though, says they're just the thing for photogs who want IQ without the size/wt of a DSLR. He hopes the next versions will be camera-like!

It was Don Lindich's nationally syndicated column or maybe his blog, or maybe both. The blog:

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/

BTW, the first camera he recommended in his column yesterday was the K-x! The word that stuck in my mind was love!

Here's a quote about the NEX's from the blog:

"The dark horse on the horizon? It’s definitely Sony. This week I was introduced to Sony’s NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras and I became an NEX-5 owner in very short order, though I have not been much of a Sony fan lately. I was blown away when I saw how tiny the NEX cameras are and believe me, pics on the web do not do them justice. You really need to hold one in your hand to “get it.” I will write more later this week, but for now let me say that the NEX-5 is a technological tour de force that is unmatched in the category, though using it sometimes it feels more like using a cell phone than a fine photographic instrument. I am flabbergasted at what Sony has accomplished with these cameras, despite their quirks and flaws. If they make the next NEX body seem more like a camera and less like a gadget they might well own the CILC category. I am looking forward to telling you more about the NEX-5 later this week."

Last edited by Muse; 08-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
08-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i never quite believe actually that we are so rare. until me and my friend went to another cuty in my country. and some guy nicely approaching us ..and say words like.."..hey you guys shooting with Pentax ... me too .." he said. he said to us he never saw anybody carrying Pentax DSLR in his town..

08-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Uh hello? The answer is emphatically, yes.

Last edited by jeff knight; 08-24-2010 at 02:45 PM.
08-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, HOYA or not, it still takes K-mount lenses.

Cheers, Mike.
08-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Im always in the search for a fellow pentaxian.

I've been anticipating seeing an older guy carrying some legacy glass around... than I come up with my old glass and say hi.... and he gives me that "bewildered" look considering my age

Im still holding true to my promise though..... I WILL shake hands with the first pentaxian I meet
08-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #172
Veteran Member

I guess i'm lucky, there are 4 Pentax k20d owners in our 70 member photoclub, a small town by the way. We all made the decision independently. One camera snob in the club who insists that only Nikon makes sharp lenses, pathetic.

08-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Read a newspaper article yesterday describing the NEX3 and NEX5 as seeming like a cell phone, not a camera (I haven't seen them). The reviewer loves them, though, says they're just the thing for photogs who want IQ without the size/wt of a DSLR. He hopes the next versions will be camera-like!

It was Don Lindich's nationally syndicated column or maybe his blog, or maybe both. The blog:

Don Lindich's Sound Advice Blog

BTW, the first camera he recommended in his column yesterday was the K-x! The word that stuck in my mind was love!

Here's a quote about the NEX's from the blog:

"The dark horse on the horizon? It’s definitely Sony. This week I was introduced to Sony’s NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras and I became an NEX-5 owner in very short order, though I have not been much of a Sony fan lately. I was blown away when I saw how tiny the NEX cameras are and believe me, pics on the web do not do them justice. You really need to hold one in your hand to “get it.” I will write more later this week, but for now let me say that the NEX-5 is a technological tour de force that is unmatched in the category, though using it sometimes it feels more like using a cell phone than a fine photographic instrument. I am flabbergasted at what Sony has accomplished with these cameras, despite their quirks and flaws. If they make the next NEX body seem more like a camera and less like a gadget they might well own the CILC category. I am looking forward to telling you more about the NEX-5 later this week."

the issue that I have with those NEXs' is that they're ugly and don't feel right in your hand. I guess the writer and I observed something that is a significant flaw in the camera or as he said it, cellphone like.
08-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #174
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I guess i'm lucky, there are 4 Pentax k20d owners in our 70 member photoclub, a small town by the way. We all made the decision independently. One camera snob in the club who insists that only Nikon makes sharp lenses, pathetic.

That's not what the Leica or the Zeiss guys tell me. BrownBag
08-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
it's true. only Nikon makes sharp lenses because that's the only lenses that he had ever used.

Phil, if I were a member of your club, in the spirit of good will, I would lend him my Pentax dslr for a day along with the A*200/4 macro. ok, maybe that's a bit of an overkill, I'll just lend him maybe a DA35, FA31, FA77, DA*55, FA50 macro, SMCT 85/1.8, SMC Pentax M85/2, SMC A* 85/1.4, A* 135/1.8, etc...

at the end of the day, and he still says that Nikon still has the sharper lenses, check his bag for any good shit that he might be taking.
08-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #176
Veteran Member

There's always an abundance of Pentax shooters in Singapore.
A fraction of the horde who turned up to shoot macro at yesterday's monthly group outing...

We definitely know how to "Be Interesting"...

08-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My good friend Mike, which I call "My spiritual leader in the dark world of photography" says it all in his online signature:

"Amateurs worry about equipment. Pros worry about money. Masters worry about light"
Well said!
08-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A fraction of the horde who turned up to shoot macro at yesterday's monthly group outing...

What a great outing we had there. One of the better ones so far
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
What a great outing we had there. One of the better ones so far
Yeah, in spite of the light drizzle, the turnout was great. Agree with you it was a great outing. So much more varieties of critters to shoot macro. Great company too.
08-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #180
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

I like that group photo!