Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5 days at Disney World and saw my first other Pentax today, a K7, at Hollywood Studios. Lots of bare cameras with no case in sight. With the changeable Florida weather in September that seems a bit.......irresponsible to me.

09-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Everybody was probably bored to death at all the Canons just like their own. You represented something different and interesting with your Pentax. You were the exclusive one with the cool camera that nobody else has seen.
09-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #288
Veteran Member

Went across to my local bakery yesterday and some fellow in there was sporting a K-7 tad jealous I was!

I've purchased gear off one other pentax user in my city at least :P and I know my brother in Sydney has a pentax since I gifted him my K100DS

In general NZ gets fairly hard done by for Pentax though, one outlet that sold Pentax among other brands went bust in my city lately - most of the other shops have Canikon/Oly/Leica/Panasonic/Sony but no Pentax - I suspect there isn't much in the way of wholesale distribution in NZ. I have however found a kiwi online retailer or two who stock and sell Pentax.
09-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #289

In my area we have a store with some pentax supporters which in turn means that I generally see more pentax shooters around here.

Hey at my work with something like 230 employees we are 3 pentax slr users that I know of.

I see pentax slrs once or more every month - and lots of canikons.

09-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #290
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, in France, we are quite strong... Pentax has a 2-digits market share in DSLRs here, something about 13%.

And indeed, I know nearly more Pentaxians than anything else... At work, of known photogs around me, there is 4 pentaxians, 4 nikonians, one Canon, one Oly...
Pentax has cameras in over half the brick & mortar shops around here (including those mass market stores like Carrefour or Auchan), so trying one is not too hard. Lenses and accessories are sometimes hard to come by, but you can still order them easily...

Carrefour even ran an absolute steal deal on the Kx on April : Kx+18-200 sigma for 600€ with a 300€ cashback in coupons! I sold the 18-200 for 150€, happy me!
09-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #291
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was on a short trip to Switzerland and saw more Pentaxes (3) than Nikons among onther tourists. But canons ruled the earth...
09-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here in East Tennessee Pentax shooters are very rare. Best Buy & Wally World don't carry them in their stores, only Canon & Nikon. I had mine (K-7) in class, and he asked me if I would recommend it (upgrading from Canon P&S); I said "yes." He asked where he could get one. I told him to look online, that local stores did not carry them. Betcha lunch that he goes out & buys something he can actually put his hands on. Moral here is Pentax needs to get into the big stores to compete---they are certainly good enough to sway some folks from buying a Rebel or D3000.

09-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #293

Photos: Albums
Venice in Italy probably has the highest concentration of DSLRs per square km. That was the first time i saw 5 Pentax DSLRs in one day. Quite impressive, if i forget the millions of Canikons i saw in the same time period.
09-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #294

Two pentaxians spotted by the eastern Black sea shores this summer, others are mostly Nikons in our neck of the woods.
09-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #295

I have actually read the whole thread, but I'm not sure that anyone here has given the situation in southern Ontario, Canada. Our major brick and mortar camera chain, Henry's, carries Pentax in a reasonably comprehensive way, including some used product. Vistek is a smaller chain and seems to extend further into the pro market; it also carries a comprehensive line of Pentax. And I have also seen a k-x on display in one of the big boxes here, though it is not currently listed on their online store . . . I believe our big box online shopping is less advanced than in the USA.

Of course Henry's, Vistek, and many Canadian stores sell Pentax online here too. My only regret there is that amazon.ca does not, and amazon.com can't send cameras to Canadian addresses, so their recent aggressive pricing is not available at Canadian addresses.

So the bottom line seems to be, availability in camera shops here is excellent, but not so good in the big box retailers. As far as other shooters go, aside from family, the guy in the next cubicle to me (until he retired) shot Pentax very happily, and as far as I know he still does. He sold his K10 but kept his K100D . . . go figure. :-)
09-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In egalitarian Australia. Pentax are treated as equal citizens.... Well at least in some places. One of my local camera shops. It was here that I was sold my K200d and started this Pentax sojourn. One of the sales guys is a Pentaxian, and convinced me it was the way to go.

He cost me thousands of LBA dollars....
Kirks Camera House, Ringwood - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Last edited by wizofoz; 09-23-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: change pic
09-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
In egalitarian Australia. Pentax are treated as equal citizens.... Well at least in some places. One of my local camera shops. It was here that I was sold my K200d and started this Pentax sojourn. One of the sales guys is a Pentaxian, and convinced me it was the way to go.

He cost me thousands of LBA dollars....
Kirks Camera House, Ringwood - Pentax User Photo Gallery
LBA dollars are not a cost - they are an investment.
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #298
Pentaxian

Spent a week at Glacier NP, didn't see a single Pentax other than my own. Mostly Canons, a few Nikons, a 2 Lumix cameras. Most of the cameras sported cheap kit lenses. Glacier NP deserves better.

Did have a chance to shoot a couple of shots with the latest entry-level Canon. Remarkably light camera. It felt like a hollow plastic mock-up. My old *istDL is hardly a paragon of solidity; but that camera feels rock solid compared to Canon, which almost felt like it would crack if I squeezed it too hard.
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Spent a week at Glacier NP, didn't see a single Pentax other than my own. Mostly Canons, a few Nikons, a 2 Lumix cameras. Most of the cameras sported cheap kit lenses. Glacier NP deserves better.
It sure does deserve better. How was the construction progressing? We didn't do our usual round tour. We were warned of heavy construction West of the interpretive centre, so we did a there and back trip. Two Pentax bodies were there earlier this year, my K10 and my wife's MZ-S, backpack with some glass thingies in it, of course.

Claire and I are extremely lucky to live where we do. The Going to the Sun Road is a day trip for us. We get to East Glacier in about three hours from home, including the time at the US/Canada border. This year we included a drive while camped at the Canadian side, Waterton Lakes National Park. To update those reading who don't know of this cross border park, in 1932 Glacier National Park in Montana, USA, and Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta, Canada were declared an international peace park, the first one ever created.
[SNIP]
09-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #300
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
I have actually read the whole thread, but I'm not sure that anyone here has given the situation in southern Ontario, Canada. Our major brick and mortar camera chain, Henry's, carries Pentax in a reasonably comprehensive way, including some used product. Vistek is a smaller chain and seems to extend further into the pro market; it also carries a comprehensive line of Pentax. And I have also seen a k-x on display in one of the big boxes here, though it is not currently listed on their online store . . . I believe our big box online shopping is less advanced than in the USA.

Of course Henry's, Vistek, and many Canadian stores sell Pentax online here too. My only regret there is that amazon.ca does not, and amazon.com can't send cameras to Canadian addresses, so their recent aggressive pricing is not available at Canadian addresses.

So the bottom line seems to be, availability in camera shops here is excellent, but not so good in the big box retailers. As far as other shooters go, aside from family, the guy in the next cubicle to me (until he retired) shot Pentax very happily, and as far as I know he still does. He sold his K10 but kept his K100D . . . go figure. :-)
Whole issue for me is Henry's pricing (and don't even go near Vistek unless you won the Super 7) which is sky high. I've purchased all my Pentax equipment from the US online and saved loads vs. Henry's. Even taking into account exchange rate, and taxes if they catch it on import.

As for seeing other Pentax shooters, if I EVER see one in S.Ont. it's going to be like seeing a long lost relative. I'd make a point of saying hello. Would other Pentax shooters share that kind of "fringe" bond? Would anybody else say hello to someone just because they're shooting a Pentax??