Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #436
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was Photographing a gay pride march for a local paper as it went through Adelaide recently, I don't think I have seen so many pentax users in my life. I even saw a K5!
Sounds like Pentax is the gays choice in Australia possibly eh?

01-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Sounds like Pentax is the gays choice in Australia possibly eh?
I suppose they gave the slogan "be interesting" a personal slant.
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, not rare, just humble

I have been surprised at the number of people who admit to using Pentax digital or other when I tell them I use them. It seems most the users are not like a Canikon owner who must do some bragging to justify in his/her own mind the high cost of ownership, high cost in every way. So have fun.
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I rarely see one. There are 2 I come into contact with regularly, On is about my age and he shoots with a couple of LX's and is still resisting digital
another shoots pinups with a pair os ds bodies and some limited lenses, and gives courses on pinup photography

the only other one recently i walked into a new small gallery and when he saw my Pentax he got excited and dragged me to the gallery next door. the photographer next door was a pentax 35 and digital guy but in MF he shot a russian camera, and he was a Russian rangefinder fan.

01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #440

Must admit, I was using my K100 last year and my nephew, using a Nikon D90 said, " what the hell is that.. Did you get it at K mart?" (we don't have K marts in Canada any more)
Got me thinking that Pentax had been forgotten in the digital age..
Then my buddy at the camera store talked me out of a Nikon and Canon and talked me into my K7, mostly because of my collection of old Pentax glass.
Now that I've read the reviews (for and against) I'm happy with my decision, although I wish I could have afforded a K5..
I'm a nature photog and the weather features are really important to me. Now to save up for a fast lens and a Metz flash.
I'm a Pentaxian!!!
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #441
Veteran Member

You shouldn't be dismayed by being seemingly rare. Until I decided to change over to using a K20D for the majority of my digital photography, the DSLR I used most of the time is my beloved Minolta Maxxum 7D. There are fewer of us Minoltians out-and-about shooting than Pentaxians.
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #442

Apparently so...

I've spotted 2 Pentax DSLR shooters in my entire 12 years here in New Zealand. One was using a K-x White and the other a K10D.

01-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #443
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Must admit, I was using my K100 last year and my nephew, using a Nikon D90 said, " what the hell is that.. Did you get it at K mart?" (we don't have K marts in Canada any more)
Wow, talk about a statement made out of total ignorance!! I mean, even if he was joking that's just not even funny.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-07-2011 at 07:32 PM.
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #444
Veteran Member

I just got back from a 2 week, 10th anniversary trip to Italy, which included annoyingly pointing out the other pentax users to my wife! I was surprised how many pentax cameras I saw, perhaps a half dozen or so ( wasn't looking too hard!). We were mostly in the tourist spots, I would definitely say Nikon was the winner, I would guess just about every other dslr I saw was a Nikon. Probably about 30% canon, followed by pentax, sony then Olympus. I saw an older woman with a panasonic L1 and wanted to stop her just to say what a great aesthetic it had, though that might be weird though!

I nOticed one gf1 and one Sony nex, and was honestly surprised there weren't more mirrorless cameras. I took a few primes on the trip and the 18-55 wr (which came in handy in rainy Venice). The only other prime user I bumped into and talker to (we were on a day tour) was a canon guy with a sigma 30mm f1.4, which he said was the only lens he brought...braver than I could manage on a trip of a lifetime! In retrospect I could have survived with the 15mm, which probably accounted for 80% of my photos.

I was happy to see a fair share of pentax users on the trip!
01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
My good friend who turned me on to Pentax 2 years ago when I was thinking of a Canon DSLR (only because I had shot a Canon film SLR) told me that in the film days the real pros shot medium format. Sure, sports and action guys then and now can only use speedy full-frames, but many portrait, studio, and landscape pros shoot medium format, and he says that's the market Pentax is going after, as well as the entry-level SLR market.

Full-frame has never been considered pro level by Pentax even when they made full-frame film SLRs, and so people who say Pentax isn't a pro player will be eating their words in a few years when the 645D and its successors have a significant foothold once again in the upper-echelon of pro photography.
That's exactly the same kind of thing I think. A lot of people talk about how Pentax doesn't offer full frame. Medium is in a whole other league, and the true pros know that.
01-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #446

Back when I was using my first DSLR (*istDS), I was visiting my dad and we decided to take a ride to the local camera store where he lives. My buddy accompanied us (we all owned the DS) and we walked roght past the Canikons to the Pentax section which was surprising they even had them. The salesman asked if he could help us and we all asked to see the new Pentax K10D (it had just come out). He replied "oh, so you're not interested in fighting with an overcomplicated machine"? You could tell he carried Pentax because he loved and respected them.
01-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #447
Veteran Member

About rarity of people using Pentax... well, here in my country in Asia, I think the ratio is about.. around... for 100 C/N users, there is 1 Pentax user. >_< There are
also more people with Sony here than Pentax, I believe, since Sony is a big name in electronics too.

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Now that hurts...

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-19-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added info
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #448

I could give two craps what anyone else shoots with, though I wouldn't mind running into a fellow pentaxian from time to time.

My clients don't seem to care what kind of camera I have when I show them their images.
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #449

In the week I've owned my k-x I've talked to two people who own or have owned pentax. I sell the popular two cameras but bring my pentax to work to show people options. Maybe I can convince a few people to switch over soon and there will be more color in the world of photography. Black cameras are so boring now.
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #450
Veteran Member

Back from a 3 weeks vacation in Hawaii islands.... believe it or not, all the places I visited I only saw two people with Pentax (white K-r!), and they are tourist from Japan. When I have people take picture of me using my K200, they look surprise to see a Pentax.

I like the fact that we are unique, and different!
btw, has the price of K-5 gone down a little since a month ago?

Lee