Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #691
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you mean by rare? Ever single member on this forum has a Pentax!!!

04-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #692
Veteran Member

holy sheet only $439 for the pink kit brand new?!! Omgz I gotta get it! I'll save $60 bucks! lol

Hrm wait.. It's not April fools lol.

Oh I guess the deal IS real after all lol. Looked like a joke at first. Never heard of woot before, let alone MOOF lol. So tempting.

Last edited by geekette; 04-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.
04-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Over the last few years I've been amazed twice. I was first amazed at how few Pentax cameras I'd see, but then I 've been surprised on the few ocasions I do see them. Interestingly 2 of my best friends independently got Pentax DSLRs, which I thought was cool (one already had a Pentax film camera, and the other was impressed like I was with the value in Pentax).

I've also been surprised at how snobbish some people can be. Once I was given a complement about my camera only for the guy to sneer once he saw it was Pentax. On a very recent trip (in Carlsbad Caverns), this guy with a Nikon blatantly stepped in front of me with his tripod because he said that with a Pentax I am obviously an amature and should step out of the way. Go figure, although I am an amature.

As it is, I like being unique. It's just a name anyway.
so Pentax = Amateur? what a stupid comment. he was lucky though that the person wasn't a professional holding a 645D or even an old 645, otherwise he would have gotten a lecture that brand has nothing to do with a person's photographic capacity. although, I would had love to see a Pentax user argue, hey I'm using an Medium Format camera, you must be an idiot not to knowing what it is.
04-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #694
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
What do you mean by rare? Ever single member on this forum has a Pentax!!!
I think rareness means someone you see on the streets on a consistent basis.

04-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #695
Veteran Member

Woot! Okay, I bought the pink K-X kit (with 18-55 lens) for $439 plus $5 shipping from woot.com I just couldn't pass up that deal! I was going to order the K-X in black for $519 from another supplier today. Thanks for that heads up devorama! Saved me $80 I'll post a mirror pic soon :P

Not bad .. a better camera than the Nikon D3100 for only $439. D3100 is like $599-699! And I have image stabilization in camera, better images, auto focus motor and it will meter through my old pentax glass!
04-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #696
Forum Member

I don't think we're that rare, just selective. I ran into 2 DSLR guys in port Townsend Wa
last year. I encountered a young man shooting film in Seattle. He had an old 6X7 style. He said he just brake away from B&W film yet.
I think Canon & Nikon (which my son shoots) are blinded by the Ashton Kutcher style advertising !
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey,

Anything rare is worth more, isn't that true? So by reasoning then, Pentaxian shooters have a higher value! OK, now raise your shooting fees accordingly!

04-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #698
Inactive Account

Yes we are rare and precious, ok? *Please* someone close this thread.
04-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #699

Originally posted by emalvick
On a very recent trip (in Carlsbad Caverns), this guy with a Nikon blatantly stepped in front of me with his tripod because he said that with a Pentax I am obviously an amature and should step out of the way.

That's not elitist it's downright rude and I'd have been happy to spend the next hour making sure I got into every shot he took. It's also amazing how easily a tripod can be accidentally tipped over . . .
04-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #700
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And btw, there are LOTS of Pentax owners who are not members of this forum.
Probably only Pentax knows how many...

Doesn't matter much.
It's all about passion for photography, not gear faggotry.
What makes a Pentaxian? - PentaxForums.com
04-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Over the last few years I've been amazed twice. I was first amazed at how few Pentax cameras I'd see, but then I 've been surprised on the few ocasions I do see them. Interestingly 2 of my best friends independently got Pentax DSLRs, which I thought was cool (one already had a Pentax film camera, and the other was impressed like I was with the value in Pentax).

I've also been surprised at how snobbish some people can be. Once I was given a complement about my camera only for the guy to sneer once he saw it was Pentax. On a very recent trip (in Carlsbad Caverns), this guy with a Nikon blatantly stepped in front of me with his tripod because he said that with a Pentax I am obviously an amature and should step out of the way. Go figure, although I am an amature.

As it is, I like being unique. It's just a name anyway.
I think I'd have responded with something like "At least owning a Pentax doesn't make me an ***hole, like your Nikon has done to you." And *then* I'd have "accidentally" tripped over his tripod...

Jim
04-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #702

Except on the internet, I've never ran into another Pentax photographer. In the beginning, I was quite amateur-ish with my photography and local photographers in a couple clubs treated me like that. Now I'm getting some respect and attention from the same locals and they say things like, "If you can do that with a Pentax, imagine what you could do with a Nikon or Canon." LOL! It doesn't bother me. I've been published, been in several shows, won awards, and now have been accepted by a jury for a show. The only Canon I'd like to have is a Mark IV and until my photography pays for that and the lenses that go with it, I'll only have my Pentax cameras. Since I work a full-time regular job, I haven't yet gone for the paid jobs I've been offered, but I expect to change that this year... my new K5 is on its way!
04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #703
Veteran Member

geekette, glad I could save you some cash!

I think I've run into maybe 2 Pentax shooters in person. And both were Asian. I'm Asian as well. I sold my K-x on craigslist to a guy. And when he showed up I was amused to see he was also Asian. I know Pentax is much bigger in Japan than the US. But is the US Pentax customer base skewed towards Asians for some odd reason?
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #704
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think I'd have responded with something like "At least owning a Pentax doesn't make me an ***hole, like your Nikon has done to you." And *then* I'd have "accidentally" tripped over his tripod...

Jim
Not only that, I bet he is compensating for micro-genitalia.
04-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #705
Veteran Member

Singapore Pentax User Group outing - April 2011

Group photos from the Singapore Pentax user group monthly outing at Pulau Ubin, a small island off Singapore. A nice place to enjoy the rustic environment.
Our numbers are growing... and we get people switching from other brands with a Pentax in their hands...
Photos courtesy of Frank (silver K-5 with DA 12-24mm).

Last edited by creampuff; 04-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.