Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #751
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Nearly got someone to buy a K-5. He used a 40D before, but didn't really consider the 550D and 60D, and the 7D was too expensive. Finally bought the D7000. Reason: Almost as good as the Pentax for photo, but by far superior for video. Better codec, better frame rates, AF during video (very big deal). Also Pentax is a bit too unsteady he says. Though he prefers to buy the underdog, who knows what the K-5 replacement will be? Another disappointment like the K-7? How good will the video function be on the next one? With Nikon or Canon it is clear that the next version will be good again, and that there are frequent updates (even if they don't really make sense). FF is another advantage (couldn't convince him to go for the 645D later... lol).

And I can't even say I wouldn't have made the same decision. Video is important, and the D7000 is nearly as good, better in video and cheaper. Though a bit too big and heavy.
I don't know if "it's clear" or not that the next version of those cameras would be better. I seem to recall a lot of gripe over the 60D's images being poor in noise control, worse than the 50D, because the bumped the resolution again. Also, the D7000 vs. the D90. Yes, the D7000 is a more advanced package, but it doesn't handle as well and isn't aimed at "semi-pro" users as much as the D90 was. Small gripes, but I'm sure you'd find Canon or Nikon users with lots to say about their brands. Pentax is recovering, albeit slowly, from not having a DSLR on the market until 2003 and thus missing that crucial R&D stage. The Kr and K5 are the first bodies in a long time where I've looked at them and gone "Wow, this is Pentax?" My Kr blew me away in terms of it's speed and responsiveness. I only took it back because of a lack of WR being a deal killer.

That said, I guess that wasn't the subject. Just jumping to their defense.

I think that Pentax has a much bigger following in Europe than they do in North America. Make of that what you will, whether it's a lack of effective advertising, an entrenched user base, or a lack of familiarity with the Pentax brand. Which is unfortunate, because they are slowly becoming just as competitive and just as not-to-be-trifled-with as the big boys. DPReview just named the K5 one of the best APS-C cameras on the market, bar none. Attention will be had.

The last time I saw a Pentax user was two years ago, when I was out shooting with my K200D. The fellow had a K10D, said he loved it. I also take a lot of flak from friends over my choice of camera. Not the Spotmatic as much, they think that's cool, but the K200D they just didn't get why I would be so attached to it, despite numerous square-offs between the K200D, the Rebel XTi, and the D80, our respective cameras, and me repeatedly showing them up.

05-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Our numbers are growing... celebrating our 3rd year of group outings

A group shot celebrating our 3rd anniversary of Pentax Singapore user group monthly photo outings... the centerpiece is of course the FA* 600mm f/4. Photo taken at the Singapore Botanical Gardens courtesy of Frank.

05-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At a function recently with K5 when my son walked in with his 40D. A mutual friend (who likes to take the mickey out of anyone!) said 'now that's a camera!'. My son just half shook his head and said, 'Well, actually, no...' He loves his 40D but recognises that for once his dad has the gear. (Now, if only I had his skill.)
05-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #754

I wouldn't like to be seen using that in a war zone !

05-24-2011, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #755

I saw someone sitting a couple rows in front of me at the Fresno Grizzlies game last Saturday, with what looked like a K100D and a 55-300.

I was just really shocked to see another Pentaxian in town.
He definitely got better pics than I did, as I though I packed my 60-300mm Tamron, but alas, only had my 10-20 Sigma and kit lens.
05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #756
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually saw someone toting Pentax on the news last week: something about an inquiry into a mine disaster. Looked like a Limited lens, even.
05-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #757
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A group shot celebrating our 3rd anniversary of Pentax Singapore user group monthly photo outings... the centerpiece is of course the FA* 600mm f/4. Photo taken at the Singapore Botanical Gardens courtesy of Frank.
No women?

05-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #758

i chose Pentax *because* it is rare/different.

look, my story is quite unique. i'll be honest; i had some extreme financial good fortune a few years back. as a result, i went from being a die-hard film freak with only the occasional token use of a R*bel for my magazine shoots (and yes, 8mp IS enough) back in 2004 to suddenly being able to afford *whatever i wanted*. literally. i shot film for myself, and dig for editors who needed fast turnaround.

so, I opted for a (then brand new, newly released) 5DII early in 2009. i only bought it because it was possible to adapt my zuikos to it with great results; had the nikon d700 had this capability, i'd porbably be shooting it right now and not on this forum.

the 5DII was great, great resolution, great noise free files and lowlight performance (wicked for shooting the concerts/live gigs I was doing!) - but MASSIVE, too heavy for my small hands - and only bearable because i was using my beloved old zuikos on them via adapter. i have been a mad Olympus guy for... 20 years (I'm 38) cutting my teeth with an OM4Ti (I still use it. lots. the rewind crank knob just fell off...). and, of course, i went out and bought more of that sweet, sweet glass. the fast, sharp f2 and faster stuff.

anyway, while travelling the world for the last two years and living the dream, i noticed how much I loved my glass and *hated* the handling of the 5DII. I even decided i felt too precious taking a non-weather sealed 3K camera out with me, and *back*-graded to a 5D classic, a camera with the same crap ergo but a much nicer pixel pitch than the II. I also sold that. most of my travels were shot with a little pocketable film rangefinder (the unmatched Minolta TC-1).

In the interceding two years, the only constant for me with digital has been the glass. Olympus are dragging their feet and not bringing out the large-frame/digital OM4Ti i have always dreamed of, to stick my 21, 28, 40, 85, 100 etc on and have them behave as constantly and beautifully as they have through my whole experience. so I gave up.

What was the logical choice? the only other brand that seems to give a crap about high-quality, small, light-weight, high quality, portable primes, weather-sealed bodies and good ergonomics (I repeat, I'm a small guy - 5'6". Sicilian dad...). I have been a Pentaxian since October last year, and loving every second. the colour rendition alone is streets ahead of anything I ever shot on C*non gear.

sorry to bang on but the answer to all those Canikonian twits is simple: the body's just a light-tight box (but oh, how I *dream* of Oly's multispot metering and memory system collared around the shutter release in digital form...) - only the glass and your technique really matters.

Pentax is proving to be my saviour (until Oly steps up? if they ever do?) because they currently make the gear that best *gets out of the way* and actually stops you thinking about *the gear* and get back to thinking about making great photos.

apologies for long post.
05-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #759
Veteran Member

Good post zuikoholic. A lot of very good, experience based observations.
05-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #760
Veteran Member

I think I mentioned this already somewhere in the 50+ pages of this thread, but it happened again.

I was at an elementary school program for my daughter this week when I saw a guy in the crowd with a Pentax. I saw this guy last year and tried to say something about Pentax to him, but he just looked at me like I was a stalker and walked away. The school probably has 500 students, so it's not a huge school. I also saw a guy in the neighborhood out walking his dog with a Pentax *ist Ds. He was much friendlier.

That said, I can go to photo-friendly places like Disney or Space Center Houston and never see another Pentax, so it's hit or miss. Not that I really care that much. Still, it's fun to see another person using your type of gear, and they are (usually) eager to talk shop.
05-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #761
Site Supporter

After what is literally years of watching I finally had a Pentax spotting in the wild. My wife & I had just dropped our son & fiancée at the train station in Newark, NJ and a couple of blocks away I saw 3 young ladies walking toward the Prudential Center. One was carrying what definitely looked like a DSLR and it was WHITE! So most likely a K-r or K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I also saw a guy in the neighborhood out walking his dog with a Pentax *ist Ds.
My dog is too fast. When he was younger, I had a K100D and he was too fast for that. I upgraded to the K-10D and still couldn't keep up with him. Now he's getting older but I'm apparently not getting wiser - even the K-7 doesn't keep up with him! Guess I'm going back to using a leash. Or, perhaps I need the K-5. Hmm, this might be just the strategy I need to convince my better half!
05-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #762
Pentaxian

I see mostly Canon dslr by a large margin. Then Nikon....but not a lot. Then Pentax....then a toss up between Sony and Olympus.

I use Pentax DSLR's and a Canon G12. I'm looking for a Canon T-Shirt and a Pentax ball cap...to wear at the same time.
05-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #763
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the motor racing today I saw a guy with a Pentax Neckstrap fitted to his Nikon D300 +grip and a massive 70-200. I thought that was a bit weird.
Here he is:

The guy standing on my right had a gripped 7D also with a massive 70-200. He saw me using a tiny DA70 and probably thought I was a bit weird.
Here he is:

Last edited by steve1307; 05-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.
05-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #764
Veteran Member

Today was a stellar day here in Santa Fe NM! I saw someone with a Pentax Optio! And a Japanese tourist with a FF Nikon. And my first sighting in the wild of a Leica! Looked like a black M8. Carried by a guy eating at the vastly-overpriced cafe next to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. I'll bet he's a dentist.

BTW the current show at the O'Keeffe is SUPERB!! Shared Intelligence: American Painting and the Photograph (20 May - 11 Sept 2011) (free admission 1st Friday evening each month) [ O'Keeffe Museum - Current Exhibition ] is about the interaction between cameras and painting, with many photos used as sources by noted artists: Man Ray, Steichen, Stieglitz, Eakins, Shahn, Rockwell, Hockney, Bechtle, as well as works by Muybridge, Strand, Warhol, Chuck Close, Sherrie Levine, Cindy Sherman, many more. Highly recommended! But leave your camera in a free locker.
05-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #765

QuoteQuote:
At the motor racing today I saw a guy with a Pentax Neckstrap fitted to his Nikon D300 +grip and a massive 70-200. I thought that was a bit weird.

not that odd - i have an old extra-wide Olympus strap on my K5 right now - it's even reversed so the logo faces inward/my shoulder. the fewer logos the better. basically, logos scream 'steal me'. i'd rather they didn't exist at all. i actually hate camera straps, period, but wrist straps make you look like a douche, and though i rate the build quality of the K5, i wouldn't risk dropping it while it's wearing a ~1K$ Limited or something.

i knew a guy (pro) who used to use duct tape to cover every non-essential part of his cameras (film days, Nikon F90Xes) and black marker to blank out every shiny/attention attracting part of his cams so as not to draw any attention to them and make them seem as unworthy of robbery as possible. good plan.

have thought about doing it myself - means some cleanup if you re-sell, but then i don't buy anything with that as a key consideration. utility above all.