Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #796

Photos: Gallery
I was at Antelope Canyon (lower) earlier, and spotted Two Pentax Cameras. A White K-x with the kit lens as the guy was getting on the truck to head back. In the canyon it's self I saw a K-5 mounted on a Tripod. I only noticed because I saw the screen that displays all the shooting info and I thought to myself "hmm that looks really familiar..." and I also saw the side of it were the SD card goes and instantly recognized it.

I had to comment on it " YES! Finally someone else with a Pentax! you are the only other Pentax owner I have seen in here "

It was the usual sea of Nikon and Canon on huge Tripods....but I did see a Japanese man with a Leica rangefinder, and another with some kind of Medium Format film camera....kinda cool.

06-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #797
Veteran Member

well I think I saw something unique today at my sons Karate grading... 4 Pentax dSLRs outnumbering a solitary Canon, a brace of P&S's in various forms and the camera device of many, the iPhone.

Last edited by HGMonaro; 06-05-2011 at 07:04 AM.
06-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #798

Was at a popular tourist spot today, called Zaanse Schans.... I was the only one holding a Pentax. Everyone else was sporting a Canon or Nikon. Many taking photos of windmills at noon, with flashes
06-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #799

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
Many taking photos of windmills at noon, with flashes
That must tell us something about yer typical Canikon owner . . .

06-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #800
Veteran Member

We got a good deal on an off-season ski condo, so we're spending a week in Breckinridge CO, just downhill from stratospheric (12000ft) Loveland Pass. Huge clouds of smoke are blowing in from the Arizona fires, ugh. Today we drove over the pass into historic (but smoky) Georgetown, just east of the Eisenhower Tunnel, where I found not just a Pentax user, but a PRO! Sponsored by PentaxImaging yet! Pentax loans him cameras and lenses to test. Says he'll get a 645D very soon.

His name is Gary Haines. His gallery [ Grizzly Creek Gallery ] is filled with great wildlife and landscape shots. He says he only uses digital for wildlife now, but all his landscapes are still shot with 645 and 67 Pentax film cams, and panos with a Fuji 617.

Meanwhile, every cam I've seen here in the ski ghetto has been Canikon or iPhone. Such is life. When I walk around with the K20D+K50/1.2 around my neck, people hand me their iPhones and request a shoot. I'm too old to run off with the phones, so I comply.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #801

Went to Kuala Lumpur on my way to Kuching (coming from the States). Figured I'd be seeing tons of Pentax...
Boy was I wrong.. every brand is here, except Pentax. One shop even had a Pentax signage inside that they attempted to cover up.
I was told Singapore was a good place to get Pentax gear, but it seems that Pentax is dead to Malaysia (at least West Malaysia).
Very frustrating. Why the heck isn't Pentax all over Asia?
06-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #802
Veteran Member

Met 3 other Pentax users on my Uni campus (1 K7, 2 K-x)... Another user (K10) at a local event recently... A friend has a Samsung GX10 and sometimes borrows my lenses

The K-x appears to be competing fairly well against CaNikons budget DSLR's amongst British university students seeking to break into DSLR photography...

Saw a K20 at big event in Leeds last summer too as well as several Samsung GX10's

06-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #803
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yesterday at the pub there were 3 of us (2 KR 1 red 1 black and my 35mm km)
but it was an arranged meeting not random, training friends who bought on my advice
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rarely, if ever see another Pentax in the wild around here, other than the occasional craigslist buy/sell meeting. Once we were having lunch at the Galleria Mall in Dallas, when the waiter noticed my *istD, and asked how I liked my Pentax. We chatted awhile, and he was telling me about his Konica-Minolta 5D (or 7D?), and how he also felt like the odd man out, using one of the last models KM made before Sony took over.
06-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #805
Veteran Member

The only other Pentax user I've seen since I bought my first Pentax 11 months ago is the guy I sold my K-x to (after I handed it to him).
06-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #806
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I see people carry k-x and k-r. They are all happen to be young people. But I have not see people carry k-7 and k-5.....
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spoke to a Nikonian on the phone today whom I've never met and inevitably, he asked me what I shot with to which I replied, "Pentax".

His response was, "oh, I used to shoot film too".

Good thing I couldn't reach out and grab his throat, and then take all his Nikon gear!
06-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #808

I have many friends with Canon or Nikon...since I've bought my Pentax I've never spoke with them about photography....and I never will!!
06-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #809
Veteran Member

I recently gave my son-in-law my well used K10d. He had never owned a Pentax before, only a small P&s, not Pentax, ( but now I have indoctrinated him

He is in a painting business and was doing a job at a school, when, coincidently a 'pro' photographer turned up to take class photos.

He managed to bump into her and have a discussion regarding her Canon camera and gear.

He said he was a Pentax user, and went on to explain about weather sealing, back lens capability etc etc ( I must have taught him well)

She was amazed and said she had never realized the potential and capability of Pentax. In fact stated that she thought Pentax had ceased production years ago ????

He got a good slap on the back from me.
06-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #810

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Yes Rod, I leave the 'burbs very regularly, (I work out in the bush a lot,)
Define 'the bush' lol, 'cause I live in the country and have never seen a Pentax product on the shelves round here. I was born and raised in Melb then left when I was 18, been bouncing around NSW (including country) since. When I lived in Melb I used to think Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton etc. was the bush haha, what a young city kid I was...