Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #811
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
She was amazed and said she had never realized the potential and capability of Pentax. In fact stated that she thought Pentax had ceased production years ago ????
ye my friend also thought pentax had ceased production years ago.......

06-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #812

Photos: Gallery
to be honest, when I was looking for DSLRs, I was surprised to see Pentax. I was looking at Nikons. Thankfully I chose the Pentax
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #813
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
Went to Kuala Lumpur on my way to Kuching (coming from the States). Figured I'd be seeing tons of Pentax...
Boy was I wrong.. every brand is here, except Pentax. One shop even had a Pentax signage inside that they attempted to cover up.
I was told Singapore was a good place to get Pentax gear, but it seems that Pentax is dead to Malaysia (at least West Malaysia).
Very frustrating. Why the heck isn't Pentax all over Asia?
Hey koguma,

Pentax in M'sia is probably like Pentax in US.
But they have pretty good user base too, check this out:
PENTAX Malaysia | Facebook
06-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #814

On holiday in Peru I saw many Canons and Nikons at different touristic places (Machu Picchu, Cusco). Then in Lima, in the middle of a busy street in the centre finally a Pentax. And later in Guayaquil (Ecuador) a very red Pentax, used by a 16 or so year old. She is asking to be robbed with that camera in this dangerous city, IMHO...

Last edited by Dijker_t; 06-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
06-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #815
Forum Member

I've been living in Vancouver, BC since Sep, 2010. Still to see another person in Vancouver shooting with a Pentax. I know they're around because every photography store carries some Pentax products.

Carrying a K-5 definitely draws some eyes sometimes from Canon, Nikon shooter, the same way I check out people's cameras as I walk by. I don't mind it at all. The only downside is when trying to buy/sell used gear. I guess the inability share lenses with my Canon and Nikon wielding friends would be another.
06-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #816
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
I've been living in Vancouver, BC since Sep, 2010. Still to see another person in Vancouver shooting with a Pentax. I know they're around because every photography store carries some Pentax products.

Carrying a K-5 definitely draws some eyes sometimes from Canon, Nikon shooter, the same way I check out people's cameras as I walk by. I don't mind it at all. The only downside is when trying to buy/sell used gear. I guess the inability share lenses with my Canon and Nikon wielding friends would be another.
i'm surprised you haven't come across a couple there are certainly quite a few vancouverites on the forum
06-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #817
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote

just work your way around downtown. surely you'll get a handful of them. I'll be somehow be shooting outdoors during the summer. just watch out for me around Coal Harbor and the Convention Center.

06-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #818
Veteran Member

Just the other day I saw my second Pentax dSLR in the wild here in the Vancouver area - a K7 with (I think) the 16-45. I had my K5 in hand, and we chatted briefly.
06-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #819

The only time I've met someone with a Pentax was last year when I bought a second hand 40mm ltd and I went to the seller to receive it.

Next month is my daughters birthday and I bought a Pentax Optio S1 for her so when I give that camera I will know someone else with a Pentax Next year I'll probably give here a DSLR Pentax.

Last edited by siamthai; 06-10-2011 at 07:05 AM.
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #820
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've encountered two other people with PENTAX DSLR cameras, one with a K-7 and one with a *ist DS, out of dozens of Canon and Nikon shooters as well as a couple of Olympus and Sony users. Yes, PENTAXians are rare, but given that the K-5 is selling well, I don't believe PENTAX is going away anytime soon.

--DragonLord
06-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #821
Veteran Member

I only recently found out about Pentax, and got the k-x. Upon putting pictures up on facebook, I find 2 friends who go "oh my, I have the same camera".

My friend walking around the park, knowing that I just go the camera, tells me he spots 3 girls that day carrying the same camera (or the k-r).

I was at the checkout in a CVS and the checkout lady said she used a Pentax film cams before.

I'm not quite sure what to think anymore!
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #822
Inactive Account

A few months ago I was visiting a friends place, she's a Canon user, and her cousin was there - he's a Nikon user. They have ongoing 'my camera is better than yours' discussions.

I got out the Pentax and the cousin remarked that he's always been impressed with the way Pentax can offer so many excellent features in such a small body. My friend had never bothered to look at one.

No, he's not going to change to Pentax but at least he looks upon them positively.
06-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #823

From what I've seen on the streets here, yeh its mostly C&N.

Having said that though, a lot of my friends picked pentax by themselves thanks to the multi-coloured Kx and Kr's. No matter how bad some of the colours may be they do sell.

Plus I just converted my uncle from Canon to a K5 after showing him mine over Christmas So its not looking too bad
06-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #824
MSD

I've recently received the "Pentax makes poor quality cameras" (quote) talk from the guy in my year at school who is very public about his photography. We discussed cameras together, he bought an EOS 60D and I bought a K20D.
I am overwhelmed by the Canikon prescence, but when I see an ad with a cheap EOS and kit lens on it, I smile and think of my Tak50/1.4.
I'm happy with my decision to choose Pentax, and I think this is symbolised by Pentax's less aggressive noise-reduction, and back-compatability. These represent (along with primes) Pentax to me.
Yet to bump into a Pentax user in my first forays into street photography.
06-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #825
Veteran Member

Finally ran into another Pentax user yesterday at a Philadelphia Urban Exploration meetup. He was shooting a K-20 and had kept the lenses from his K-1000. He had an M50/2, an M28/2.8 and an M80-200/4.5. He was from West Chester, so I still have yet to meet another Philadelphia Pentaxian!