Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #841

Photos: Gallery
I am from Penang, Malaysia..

It is very sad that there are very very very very rare people selling or even heard of Pentax... But I still managed to get my K-R imported from the Philiphines... Recently there are a group outing and a friend of mine quite shock to see the quality & effects of the picture I had taken, as for him, he said he will only trust Nikon for quality pictures... Happy to change his point of view about Pentax. During the outing, I am also very happy to bump in with a guy who holds Pentax K10! He has all the accessories and gears with him... was wondering where he got'em... Hehe...

06-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rogerb Quote
In some ways perhaps Pentax is the camera equivalent of SAAB Cars. Almost everyone goes for Audi or BMW because they are best in class at what they do. They are the Canon/Nikon of the automotive world Consequently they are to be seen everywhere. A few drivers like to be different and SAAB offers them that difference in an OK package but not one that is significantly better and in some areas not as good. But it is different. SAAB are also out of production right now whilst they try and find new Chinese funding.

Hope the same fate does not befall Pentax but it will if they fail to hit a critical mass in sales and become recognised in the mass (as opposed to connoisseur market) as being best in class.

Then maybe Subaru is the better analogy - few models, high quality and well-regarded by industry insiders and reviewers. Just not all that many on the road compared with most. Oh, and marketed to people who like to get their gear dirty now and then...and aren't scared by inclement weather.
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #843
Veteran Member

I was at the Grounds for Sculpture near Trenton, NJ this past weekend and I saw a guy with a Pentax strap (didn't see the model) and a girl with a green K-X/R. That was a good percentage of the dSLRs I saw that day.
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #844
m8o
Veteran Member

If you haven't already seem my thread ... I found this on the Interwebz:

Not my photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150221272198375&set=a.456983123374...type=1&theater

06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #845
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote

Not my photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150221272198375&set=a.456983123374...type=1&theater
uh-lala.
06-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #846
Veteran Member

How many Pentax owners do you know who hold their cameras anywhere like this?

Hay, that would make a good poll! DO YOU HOLD YOUR PENTAX ON YOUR SHOULDER?

Then we can start a PENTAX ON THE SHOULDER photos thread. Y'all pose nice, now.
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #847

When you look like that, you hold anywhere you want. ;-)

06-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #848
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Then maybe Subaru is the better analogy - few models, high quality and well-regarded by industry insiders and reviewers. Just not all that many on the road compared with most. Oh, and marketed to people who like to get their gear dirty now and then...and aren't scared by inclement weather.
Yes, much better analogy, unless you live in Europe. Subaru is pretty rare in the EU. OTOH, here in the Portland, Oregon area, every other car seems to be a Subaru! (There are even a pretty good number of Saabs )

Steve
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #849
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote

Not my photo:
Camera? What camera...

Steve
06-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #850
Site Supporter

Eveready (and maybe Robert Conrad) wants to know if anyone will try knocking THAT battery grip off her shoulder! Come on, I dare ya'.
07-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't give a monkey's what other people use but if someone wants to have a chat about cameras I'm quite happy to share info.

Personally, I don't like the wide straps and swapped the one on my K5 for one off one of my MX's. So someone would have to be pretty sharp eyed to see what I had.

I went to a festival last weekend and only noticed one person with a Pentax strap, but then I wasn't looking.

I did feel that a few people were trying hard to see what I had so I'd put my finger over the name just to wind them up or p*ss them off.

I've reached that age now ;0)
07-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #852
Site Supporter

We aren't as rare as Ricoh.
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #853
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
We aren't as rare as Ricoh.
We are now.
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #854
Site Supporter

A young guy (maybe late 20's or so) saw me taking pictures of some ducks from about 50 yards away, and when I approached where he sat, he asked if I got a good shot. I didn't think it was and I told him it didn't even look good on the small camera screen. Then he asked "what's that a Nikon?" Told him it was a Pentax and just like that he said, "Oh those are good cameras!" He also asked why I take pictures and what I do with them. I told him it's something to do while I'm walking the dog and I enjoy looking at them on the computer.

I don't recall his exact reaction to those answers but it seemed to indicate he didn't have a computer much less a camera. This isn't the first time I've experienced this kind of reaction and I've read other comments here describing similar encounters. So does the general unwashed populace think Pentax ain't for the common folk? Maybe the impression is if you want something affordable get C or N, but not Pentax. If this is the case Pentax/Ricoh marketing needs a full-scale overhaul. Yes, they do need the Red, White, Pink and other color entry-level cameras. Yes, they do need compacts, point and shoots and low-end disposables. It's all about market awareness. And if there are myths out there that stand in the way of that awareness in the marketplace, well then those need to be adjusted.
07-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #855
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find that most Pentax users I've met tend to be more educated about their cameras than the average C & N users I've met. One of the fathers at my kids school called me up and asked if I'd take photos of the graduation. I asked him why he wanted me to do it instead of him, since he owns a Nikon d90. I was stunned by his reply which was he only shoots in auto mode and doesn't really know how to use the camera, so he wasn't confident in taking graduation photos.

I've met a few educated C & N users but I've met many more "uneducated" users who shoot auto only. It seems people buy what the salesman recommends, which is what they have on the shelf, which is C & N's. I bet if the stores had some K-r's & K-5's available, they'd sell them just as easily as the C & N's.