Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Advanced amateurs and pros know Pentax from when they first started out but as their careers progressed, they had nowhere to go with Pentax so they switched brands.
That's interesting; but did they really have no where to go with Pentax? After all, Pentax did make other cameras besides the K1000, some of which, like the LX, were comparable to all but the very best Nikon and Canon cameras. The problem may have been that people thought they had no where to go with Pentax, because they fell for the old canard, quite common when I first got into photography in the early 80s, that Nikon was the "gold standard." Everyone I knew who was either into photography or wanted to get the very "best" camera and could afford it bought Nikon. Pentax 35mm cameras just were not taken all that seriously, although the K1000 was respected as a learner's camera. So when K1000 users decided they need a more serious camera, they looked toward Nikon (and later Canon). I suspect that many of these switchers upgraded to mid-level Nikon or Canon cameras and lenses (the high end products were very expensive); which means they could have easily gotten just as good a camera (and possibly better lenses) from Pentax for the same price.

07-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #902
Veteran Member

You may be right about the majority of shooters, but that's only because they really didn't know any better and were only following those that truly had nowhere to go. Nikon most likely became that "gold standard" because of those very top end shooters switching because Pentax could no longer offer them anything. Kind of like today.
07-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #903

Photos: Albums
A pro will NOT be enfluenced by marketing hype but Will be influenced by sponsers.... lol... but a wanna-be will always think they need to have all the best according to what they percieve the "pro's" use...
I am a Professional ie.. make my living with photo.. here is my link to say hello and why i am not only leaving film for DSLR but have chose the Pentax K-5... BTW i am one that always turned down sponsers as it feeds false image.. it's the artist more than equiptment but sponsership's goals are the try and make wanna-be's think other wise... be proud if you take great shots with any tool..
LINK
07-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #904
Veteran Member

Enthusiasts are targeted by marketing. Working photographers use what works. Nikon and Canon have their pro support networks, which help a togger work when gear is critical. Those not needing such support don't need CaNikon. My rich bro-in-law was a wedding fotog and he shot with Bronica, not Nassy. When he left film he went with Sony, not CaNikon. He can afford any system he wants. (And his basement is filled with hundreds of the high-end vintage cameras he collects -- dozens each of Leicas and Hassys and Graphics and others, just bubble-wrapped and sitting silent. Maybe some Pentax too.)

07-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
You may be right about the majority of shooters, but that's only because they really didn't know any better and were only following those that truly had nowhere to go. Nikon most likely became that "gold standard" because of those very top end shooters switching because Pentax could no longer offer them anything. Kind of like today.
I then wonder what canikon could offer that pentax couldn´t. In the film days they had excelent camera´s, and excelent lenses. They offered unique lenses (250-600), which were very good. In Holland they had a customer service and a pro service (meaning if something was wrong with your camera, it would be fixed asap and you would get a replacement in the meantime). So yes I also thibk that poeple thought they didn´t have anywhere else to go than canikon if they wanted to forward. But Pentax for sure did have tha lenses cameras and suport, but with many people leaving, at one point I think Pentax could´t afford to have the pro suport anymore. And that is why they still are alcking in that department now.
07-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #906
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
his basement is filled with hundreds of the high-end vintage cameras he collects -- dozens each of Leicas and Hassys and Graphics and others, just bubble-wrapped and sitting silent. Maybe some Pentax too
the very concept of collecting a cameras the way people collect bugs is abhorrent to me...cameras are made to be used!
07-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #907
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the very concept of collecting a cameras the way people collect bugs is abhorrent to me...cameras are made to be used!
I agree
Same holds true for many collectibles (cars are a good exsmple)

07-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #908
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The good news is: His widow-to-be says that after he drinks himself to death, *I* get to dispose of them! [/me rubs hands together, grins evilly, gift-wraps another bottle of vodka]
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #909
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The good news is: His widow-to-be says that after he drinks himself to death, *I* get to dispose of them! [/me rubs hands together, grins evilly, gift-wraps another bottle of vodka]
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I hate to lamely chime in with a "+1", but......+1!!
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a good story but it was becoming long and tedious.

Pretty much the ol' Canikon vs. Pentax stuff ...

Sorry to have taken this space.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 07-20-2011 at 12:17 PM.
07-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #912
Closed Account

We're certainly in the minority... However, I thought I would never see another Pentax 600mm F4 "in the wild". Over the past couple of years, I've seen two others. Mines the F* and I've bumped into two Pentax shooters with FA* lenses. We're out there, you just have to look a little harder. (We're easier to find when carrying a walking billboard).
07-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #913
Veteran Member

Every time I go on an outing with other photographers, I'd consider myself lucky if I saw 1 other Pentax owner. One time I went to a raptor conservatory for a shooting and was bombarded with questions by the canikon folks about why I chose Pentax. The ones that didn't ask just gawked at me as if I was some alien species. I guess it also wasnt helping that i had the old Vivitar series 1 70-210mm on my k10d which stuck out like a sore thumb. In any case, my photos came out amazing, and I spent less body/lens combined, than most probably did for their fancy canikon camera strap.

07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #914
Veteran Member

I have been shooting Pentax for over a year now and have been asked the why Pentax question (or similar) a handful of times and at first I would engage in a friendly debate as to why I thought Pentax was the best value in DSLRs but now I just basically say because I think it's the best camera for the money and state that it's my opinion and if the person tries to keep going I end the conversation. I've come to the conclusion that there is no convincing Canon and Nikon users so why bother. If someone wants to have a friendly conversation about photography then I'm all for it but if they look down on Pentax, who cares, you'll never see that person again.
07-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #915
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe I have related this story once before - maybe here - maybe not - I don't remember.

I received an all expense paid 14 day luxury cruise to Hawaii, courtesy of the US Navy a couple of years ago (the Cruise ship was painted grey). Actually, I made the best of it and had a good time - as I was supporting a couple of new systems they were evaluating. Anyway, once there I had 1 day to see the island before having to fly back. I drove around the island and stopped at a beach for some pictures. There was another gentleman there with a Cannon setup (big FF, long lens, the works) taking pictures of Birds in Flight. So I helped him get the birds up off the ground by walking across to the water. After a while he came over and saw that I had my little Pentax K100 - shooting wide angle. Wonderful conversation - he was an architect and only shot Canon for BIF, otherwise, as he popped his trunk open to show me a VERY complete set of Pentax equipment (K20, and a very extensive set of Limiteds, Ks, Ms, As, DA*s, and some old Taks lenses). Actually, I made the remark if he had knocked over the Pentax Imaging on line store. So not all Canon shooters are not all bad............