Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at a family outing today at a public pool and a woman noticed my Pentax K20d. She said she had an older Pentax film camera that she loved (did not specify exact model) and said she was thinking of going to digital but was hesitant because she really didn't want to reinvest a lot of money in "digital" lenses. I told her that Pentax was 100% backwards compatible when it came to lenses, that Pentax is the only company that had done that - that the SR was in the body, not the lens, so her existing lenses would all be usable. She really responded positively to that news - she'd been told at a local camera store (Ritz/Wolf) that she'd need to buy new lenses, that her existing lenses were no good anymore. So, looks like another Pentax DSLR will be on the street in my area soon.

I think Pentax has to really advertise that they're the only ones making their bodies work with the older lenses, I think they'd sell a lot more cameras just based on that alone. In this modern day of "green" Pentax is leading the way in Reuse/Recycle - and I think they should use that to their advantage and advertise it.

08-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #977

Photos: Gallery
I think that one move nice from Pentax would be to kind of open the firmware on the DSLRs to others, this way they would have a community with them expanding features and correcting others, which would create an wave of interest. For example, see what hapened with magic lantern firmware for Canon and Panasonic. There are people buying Canon and Panasonic for the reason that others unlock the camera true potential.

I'm pretty sure that even us here at Pentaxforuns would be able to achieve very nice things if the opportunity was given to us.

This would be good for Pentax even on creating new product releases. Sensors are soon becamimg to a point where with the current silicon technology they can't grow much further, so the rest left will be Processing power and Software. Hacking into the firmware would open a lot of opportunities and nice features.
08-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #978

I like your suggestion, magnosantos, it would do Pentax a world of good if they went this route, imho!

But yeah, was on another local photography forum, where it's basically only Canikon, with the odd film Pentax coming up. There was a thread where someone wanted to get their first DSLR (think they had only used P&S cameras previously), and couldn't decide between a Canon and a Nikon (can't remember which ones exactly). So I suggested consider Pentax as well, and the thread died. There hasn't been another post in what was quite an active thread since.... was it something I said???? lol!

B
08-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #979
Forum Member

Went to a photography course two weeks ago. More of a beginners / intermediate full-day course, but went nevertheless because my ex happened to score a cheap pass. Approximately 45 people and one, yes ONE pentax in the whole room. Even more surprising was there was only 3 Nikons and one Sony-Nex. We live in a world of Canon lovers this end of town :/

08-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #980
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Too much Canon on our world, and never enought Pentaxian

Hope some good thing will be announce soon
08-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #981
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnosantos Quote
I think that one move nice from Pentax would be to kind of open the firmware on the DSLRs to others, this way they would have a community with them expanding features and correcting others, which would create an wave of interest. For example, see what hapened with magic lantern firmware for Canon and Panasonic. There are people buying Canon and Panasonic for the reason that others unlock the camera true potential.

I'm pretty sure that even us here at Pentaxforuns would be able to achieve very nice things if the opportunity was given to us.

This would be good for Pentax even on creating new product releases. Sensors are soon becamimg to a point where with the current silicon technology they can't grow much further, so the rest left will be Processing power and Software. Hacking into the firmware would open a lot of opportunities and nice features.
I, too, like your idea. Although I didn't really believe that other camera makers really 'open up' their firmwares intentionally to the public. I had a Canon 'bridge' camera before moving to Pentax, and I recall doing sort of a firmware 'hacking' to unleash some of the capabilities intentionally 'hidden' by the manufacturer

Anyway, it's doable and I believe we are going to need some Pentaxian hackers and coders to do this project..
08-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #982
Veteran Member

If you want to do some sort like this, go on Pktether http://www.pktether.com/, and ask thomas if he can share some of the data with you. (he tries, and succed on doing a thethering program for Pentax DSLR.)

08-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #983
Veteran Member

Just spent a week in Pembrokeshire with the family... Lots of daytrips out... Beaches... Zoo (Folly Farm... Excellent!!)... Kids theme parks etc etc...

I saw more Pentax K-r's and K7's than any other kind of DSLR!!! Twas brillinant! My K-x still looked different to most though whilst rocking either the FA50 or Tamron 17-50...
08-29-2011, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Just spent a week in Pembrokeshire with the family... Lots of daytrips out... Beaches... Zoo (Folly Farm... Excellent!!)... Kids theme parks etc etc...

I saw more Pentax K-r's and K7's than any other kind of DSLR!!! Twas brillinant! My K-x still looked different to most though whilst rocking either the FA50 or Tamron 17-50...
I read somewhere that your country in fact was a Pentax stronghold. So I say: reclaim the land!
08-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #985
Veteran Member

Just saw a bunch of tourists on the Champs Elysee, in Paris, France, with only white k-x and k-r. A real gang of white dslr
Lots of people were asking about their dslr, because of the "coolness" (I dunno if this word exist) of their gear.
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
... the "coolness" (I dunno if this word exist) ...
KEWLITY!!

Yes, coolness is the right term.
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #987
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
KEWLITY!!
08-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #988
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
Went to a photography course two weeks ago. More of a beginners / intermediate full-day course, but went nevertheless because my ex happened to score a cheap pass. Approximately 45 people and one, yes ONE pentax in the whole room. Even more surprising was there was only 3 Nikons and one Sony-Nex. We live in a world of Canon lovers this end of town :/
Doesn't it just means that Pentax shooters are too advanced to need a course for "beginners / intermediate"?
09-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #989
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Doesn't it just means that Pentax shooters are too advanced to need a course for "beginners / intermediate"?
I was there...(with my canon) hahaha I went to pick up as much as I could on lighting. Learning hands on is invaluable, I find it alot easier than reading or watching a video

ps....the sole pentax user had to ask how to take the lens off
09-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #990
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
the sole pentax user had to ask how to take the lens off
he didn't read its f***ing manual ! everything is in the manual !