Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #1006
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just today saw a gentleman shooting with K200 at the Patuxent River air-expo. Blues were flying so no time for conversation. Pretty much all the rest of the DSLR`s were either Canon or Nikon. Some with nice looking lenses on them.
Haha I was there too with my K-x White Startrooper with Silver Tamron 70-300. Not happy with the lens though, probably will return it.

So that makes 3 Pentaxians at the PAX airshow today.

09-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #1007
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where the heck were you?.
We were at the fence closest to the old control tower. You need to post some pictures of the action.
How about them 2 hour lines getting through the security!. We almost gave up and went home.
09-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1008
Veteran Member

Where the heck were you?.
We were at the fence closest to the old control tower. You need to post some pictures of the action.
How about them 2 hour lines getting through the security!. We almost gave up and went home.
Oh ya the lines were a bummer. I have seen better handling of crowd at Travis AFB in CA, there were at least 10 lines and were pretty small. Me and my friend drove like 1 hr 45 min to get there, so going back wasn't an option.

Not sure where you were but I was straight across from where the Blue Angels touched down on the runway up on the fence. I will post pics soon on my flickr gallery, but they have a lot of purple fringing because of the Tamron 70-300 lens.
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #1009
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never the less, a good show.

09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #1010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
I was straight across from where the Blue Angels touched down on the runway up on the fence.
Would have been to your very left. Close to the semi- trailers.
09-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #1011
Veteran Member

Would have been to your very left. Close to the semi- trailers.
I see. We should have a thread or something here for upcoming events here in DMV or nearby where Pentaxians can meet up
09-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #1012

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
It depents where you go. In a dedicated group like that one you joined I wouldn't expect anything else.

But on the street I quite often see Pentaxians. Usually I would greet the person with it "Oh, It's a Pentax!" and we would have a little chat about photography or something more common.

09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #1013

Photos: Gallery
pentax use by pro

Saw a pentax used by a pro at a winetasting a few weeks ago - I gushed and spent some time with her. Nice seeing a pro shoot other than Canikon. -- T
09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #1014
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I finally saw another Pentax floating around my town... a tourist was shooting some family pics in our downtown plaza using what looked like a Super ME, I thought, good for him still shooting film.. pretty rare around these parts since we no longer have a place that even develops film, it's all sent out.
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #1015

In one year i saw a white K-r. And Nikons. Lots of Nikons.
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #1016
Veteran Member

I live in nyc and I have seen exactly two pentaxians. One at the Bronx zoo and another somewhere on the street. I see endless endless canon, mostly hanging off the shoulder of some hipster nyu student. (which is my least favorite demographic of new yorkers, mostly because they all work at the apple store and think that technology = iphone)
09-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #1017
Veteran Member

on the weekend I went to a wedding and the air show (biggest in canada)
Wedding
Pro - Canon
Amateurs - 1 Nikon 1 Canon and me with K7 - Pile of p/s
Air show - saw a pile of canon (including the one of the biggest freakin lens i've ever seen on a Canon, I think it was the 400 2.8 judging by the huge diameter didn't seen long enough for the 500 or 600 - he had a separate carry case for the lens)
a couple of nikon, one pana, i was the only pentax again.
09-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #1018
Veteran Member

While photo-touring my area recently, I met a group of 'serious' foreign tourist. All geared up with heavy photographic equipment (yes, mostly canikon). A guy carrying a big backpack, and another smaller backpack full of gears, looked at my K20D and approached me and ask in a rather strange voice, "Pentax?". The guy is Nikonian. I smiled. He added, "Well, we have one with a Pentax". He pointed to a grey haired man.

Are Pentaxian mostly old and grey?

Last edited by minahasa; 09-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.
09-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #1019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Are Pentaxian mostly old and grey?
Only half of the Pentaxians I've seen were old and grey. That's me and one other guy. The other two were young and unfaded.
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #1020
Veteran Member

Well I saw a fellow Pentaxian in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia about three weeks ago at the foto bienalle (see splash).

And the weekend just gone a person with a Kx or Kr. It was a white DSLR so easy to spot.

I have a feeling that Australia is one of Pentaxes more successful areas.