Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #1021
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This past Sunday I saw a fellow Pentaxian here in Tampa. I even bought a D40mm Limited from him!

09-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #1022
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
This past Sunday I saw a fellow Pentaxian here in Tampa. I even bought a D40mm Limited from him!
That's about the only time I see a fellow Pentax user - when I'm buying or selling Pentax gear! I recently sold a kit lens to a Nikon shooter who'd just bought an istDS. He said he wanted to try a Pentax because he'd learned photography years ago on a K1000.
09-06-2011, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #1023
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I live in nyc and I have seen exactly two pentaxians.
One at the Bronx zoo
NOW CUT THAT OUT !
"Rare species captured and now exhibited at Bronx Zoo"
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #1024

Photos: Gallery
2 in Toronto!

Was walking in downtown Toronto a few days ago and actually saw 2 people with a Pentax camera within about an hour of each other! I felt somewhat exhilarated since I rarely ever see another Pentax owner... we really are a rare 'breed'...

09-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #1025
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
.. The other two were young and unfaded.
..that would be me and a beautiful man with a pink K-x

Last edited by minahasa; 09-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.
09-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #1026
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
..that would be me and a beautiful man with a pink K-x
Well, I could always paint my K20DD...

NOTE: I tried painting a colourful P&S black so it wouldn't be so noticeable. That's fine until the paint starts flaking off. Aaargh. Oh well, it was a Sony.
09-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #1027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I have a feeling that Australia is one of Pentaxes more successful areas.
I think this may be correct. One only has to see how many Aussies there are on this forum and compare it to our population. (about 22 million, or roughly the population of California.)

09-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #1028
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
One only has to see how many Aussies there are on this forum and compare it to our population. (about 22 million, or roughly the population of California.)
Actually, California's pop is somewhere over 37 million. Oz is closer to Texas' 25 mils. But you're probably right about Pentax density being much higher on your island continent.
09-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #1029

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Yes, I visited a local club exhibition of photographs, all the photo's were taken using a Canon (various numbers) except one, which was a nikon D90, which I must admit was on my "short list" befoe going for a Pentax K7. I have join the local club and am the only member using a Pentax
09-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #1030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tyronet2000 Quote
Yes, I visited a local club exhibition of photographs, all the photo's were taken using a Canon (various numbers) except one, which was a nikon D90, which I must admit was on my "short list" befoe going for a Pentax K7. I have join the local club and am the only member using a Pentax
Hang on there, get a good grip
09-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #1031
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 at PSW Las Vegas

Today at Photoshop World Expo in Las Vegas I was cruising the aisles when the familiar red PENTAX letters on a camera strap caused me to do a double take. Sure enough a lady had a K5 around her neck. I chatted with her for about 5 minutes and told her it was nice to see a Pentax at the Expo because, as expected, all the others who brought their cameras were carrying the other two brands. It was a great time nonetheless.

In the morning I met a young woman who turned out to be a photographer. I told her I also loved photography. She asked what camera I had. After telling her, she said jokingly, “you're one of those photographers”. I just chuckled. Back for more abuse tomorrow. LOL.
09-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #1032

Yep. Most of the time I find myself the only Pentax user around, be it Theme Parks, National Parks.
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #1033
Forum Member

Spent two weeks in Italy. Saw 4 people using Pentax gear (else than me). These included: a K-r, a K-100, a K-10 and a... K645D. The last one was used by a lady taking pictures inside the St. Peter's Chapel in Vatican City.

Not much more, I'm afraid.
09-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #1034
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Spent two weeks in Italy. Saw 4 people using Pentax gear (else than me). These included: a K-r, a K-100, a K-10 and a... K645D. The last one was used by a lady taking pictures inside the St. Peter's Chapel in Vatican City.

Not much more, I'm afraid.
I just returned from two weeks in Italy as well. My experience was almost exactly the same as yours. Ignoring the point and shoots, I saw only three people using Pentax dslrs--looked like a K100, a K20 and a K-7.

What I saw, of course, was almost entirely Canon and Nikon. I was surprised, though, by the number of full-frames. I saw a fair number of Canon D5s and D5 IIs (maybe a dozen). Also a few Nikon D700s (four or five). Curiously, I saw only one Leica on the trip-an R model.

Pentaxians are a rare breed, indeed.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 09-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
09-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #1035
Pentaxian

Well well, we may be a rare breed for a while yet. Still, with the recent achievements of Pentax, I think that all those canonikon prophecies (wishful thinking?) about our imminet extinsion as a breed have come to a halt.....