Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #1066
Veteran Member

Well, obviously I bought the Pentax because I thought it was great and better than the competition, especially at the price I paid (and I still think so), but not being like everyone else is a nice bonus. Also I promote Pentax whenever I can (and it makes sense). I do have to think a product is better when I go against the grain, perhaps I simply don't ignore other brands just because they aren't popular? And if the two products are the same I'll pick the lesser known one (you know, rooting for the underdog...).

I disagree on Olympus. Olympus is probably even smaller in the DSLR market than Pentax (well, are Olympus even producing DSLRs anymore?).

09-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #1067

What about the actual size? Pentax' slice of the cake is small, but where is the size of the dslr cake heading?
09-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #1068
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Once again, this story shows, how Pentax is unknown nowadays, and really need to do some ads !
09-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #1069

Maybe Ricoh will do something about that when they take over...

09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #1070

A new generation...

At 24 I just bought my first DSLR over the winter and as my Dad shot Pentax for 20 some years and still has a whole box of lenses I took interest. Woot.com had a refurb K100D for cheap so my Mom and I got it for him for Xmas, played with it when he got it and liked it so when a new K20D kit came up under $500 I jumped on it. Now I am posting so that I can get past the three forum post threshold to try and get some gear on the buy/sell forum...
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #1071
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I walked into my local Ritz/Wolf camera store the other day (nice folk!) with my Pentax 645n with 75mm f2.8. That bad boy made quite an impression! One of the staff knew Pentax and recognized the 645 right away, the other was a Nikon shooter and was very impressed. Of course the 645 is an impressive machine. Isn't it interesting that neither Nikon nor Canon has built a medium format camera.

Chatting with a sales guy at the local pro shop he knew and liked the 645, but traded his entire outfit for a Hassey. He also mentioned that they'd carried Pentax in the past but that the Pentax rep stopped coming by. A strange way to run a business!
09-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #1072
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I walked into my local Ritz/Wolf camera store the other day (nice folk!) with my Pentax 645n with 75mm f2.8. That bad boy made quite an impression!
Well, rather! And a 67 would probably leave them speechless.

QuoteQuote:
Isn't it interesting that neither Nikon nor Canon has built a medium format camera.
Never never ever. Both made 135/FF RFs (Leica copies) and Canon made a few 135/HF VFs and RFs -- I still fondly remember my Dial-35 and Demi-EE17. (Both stolen long ago, dammit.) But Canon is rumoured to be working on a 2FF MF digicam. Samsung, too.

QuoteQuote:
He also mentioned that they'd carried Pentax in the past but that the Pentax rep stopped coming by. A strange way to run a business!
And that's something Ricoh will hopefully change, right away!

09-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #1073
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And that's something Ricoh will hopefully change, right away
How long is it since Ricoh bought Pentax? Has the sale now gone through or still in transition?
You would expect some advertising movement fairly quickly... Assuming it's in the plan...
09-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #1074
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
How long is it since Ricoh bought Pentax? Has the sale now gone through or still in transition?
You would expect some advertising movement fairly quickly... Assuming it's in the plan...
They take ownership officially October 1st, so October 2nd there will be full page ads in newspapers worldwide and a proper sales force
I imagine they will ramp things up pretty quickly but it will take a good while to get back the Brick and mortar retail presence
09-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #1075

QuoteQuote:

Canon is rumoured to be working on a 2FF MF digicam. Samsung, too.
A landscape pro I know told me that Canon had said the 5D MkIII would be MF!!

Bill
09-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #1076
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
A landscape pro I know told me that Canon had said the 5D MkIII would be MF!!
Well, if it's 2FF as rumoured, that would mean a sensor 48x36mm, compared to the 645D's 44x33 -- unless it's a crop 2FF. But somewhere in that region. Don't know how many many megapickles.

Hmmm, does Canon make MF lenses? Not yet! One rumourmill said that Canon was pursuing Pentax just to get MF technology and production but Ricoh won, so Canon may now be looking to buy Mamiya. It's interesting that more firms make MF cams than do FF cams, eh?
09-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #1077

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Hmmm, does Canon make MF lenses? Not yet! One rumourmill said that Canon was pursuing Pentax just to get MF technology and production but Ricoh won, so Canon may now be looking to buy Mamiya. It's interesting that more firms make MF cams than do FF cams, eh?
I wondered if the Canon FF lens image circle was way larger than it needed to be so that the sensor could be larger than 35mmFF and still use the existing lens line up but I can not see the existing mount being able to cope with it.

Maybe they will have an enlarged mount for MF lenses with an adaptor to step down to use the current line up. Cann't see that either mind.

Hadn't thought of your FF / MF manufacture comment before but - yeh, it is a bit odd.

Bill
09-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #1078
Veteran Member

it would be a nonsense for Canon to do MF : They have no lense, no old lense design, no background in MF.

Plus, the MF market is probably small and still, there is a lot of brand in it.

If they just do some sort of 5D2 with some upgrade like bigger buffer, better sensor, and "basic evolution", buyers will be happy. i guess so.
09-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #1079
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
Hadn't thought of your FF / MF manufacture comment before but - yeh, it is a bit odd.
I'll render a WAG (wild-ass guess) that there are good reasons that MF-makers outnumber FF-makers, those reasons being:

* Studio and 'scape pros who *need* max resolution don't bother with FF
* The best HF (APS etc) cameras are good enough for most other needs
* Thus FF really is a very small niche, mostly for sports and some journalism

I've no idea the sales volumes of MF gear, but I'll assume that the 645D has a big chunk of some regional markets, so it's funny to see Canon playing catch-up!
09-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #1080
Veteran Member

Saw One!

Date and Time: 14th September 2011 Approx 4:30pm
Activity: Eyeing up shots of the Big Wheel (fairground attraction) being erected, before heading off into the 'Quad' cafe.
Identifying Equipment: K20D and black Pentax FA (i think) zoom - with Cokin Filter Holder + Hood.

Am kicking myself for not following the chap in to the cafe and letting him know there's a community here.

- But he may already be a member
Identify yourself!