Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My son's teacher still uses a film camera. Some of you may know that many teachers often take pictures of our children throughout the year to show us glimpses of life in daycare, preschool and early education. But most take advantage of instant imaging and printing using some sort of digital camera. This teacher has not reached that point yet. At an event last night I noticed the teacher using a Pentax film compact auto point and shoot of some kind. I immediately felt sympathy for the woman and not just because of the Pentax connection. I thought about the online deal notice I received yesterday where I could have bought a new little digital Vivitar 12 mp jobber for her very cheaply. But instead, I sent a few boxes of Fuji film with my son to give to her. This stuff is gonna go stale before I use it and i think she will appreciate it.

10-01-2011, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #1157

Photos: Gallery
Great photographs are 90% photographer. Your work is fantastic. Happy to be a fellow pentax user. - T.G.
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #1158
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The answer is yes we are. I bought a Kx as my first DSLR because it gave my the best bang for my limited bucks, so when someone on the forum said that something called Woot had them on sale for one day for $430, I jumped at it. One of my better decisions. This summer I went to a very large music festival and had my little red Kx (oh, I forgot to mention that for some reason I fell in love with the red, something my Canon friends find very funny, an endless cause for their hilarious jokes!) and I felt a little inadequate when I saw the pros who got to get right up to the stage with their expensive mostly Nikon outfits. But you know what? During my 3 days at this festival, I had 5 total strangers say things like 'cool camera' and 'love your camera' and things lilke that. I'll bet nobody told those pros that they had a cool camera. And, strangely enough, I did run into one guy at the festival who had a . . . red Kx. We gave each other the thumbs up. And I guess I'm still happy with my red decision, though I've found it helps to have thick skin when I'm around all those black cameras!
10-04-2011, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #1159

Are we really THAT rare?

Hi there:
This is my first post and this thread impelled me to do so. I have been a Pentaxian forever. My first Pentax was a brand new Spotmatic F I bought in the late 70s that was later stolen from me. The second one was an ME (not Super) until it broke down on me. Both were bought at the time I worked for a Honeywell division. If you guys recall Honeywell used to distribute Pentax cameras a while back. After that, there was a long spell without anything special, just several inexpensive film cameras.

I started with digital photography with a Nikon Coolpix (those strange but very practical ones that you could twist half of it to see the display while the other half you kept pointing to your subject) and then a modest Canon rangefinder I bought while traveling in China (no serial number to it). But now, I am the proud owner of a K-x with the two kit lenses. It is mine and I take a lot of personal photos. But I do a lot of shooting for my church. Around me there are almost no other DSRL camera except the Nikon my boss has but he has the bread to have one anyway. But at church, everyone appreciates to have me and my camera around. The quality of the photographs this little outfit takes is great as well as the fact that now they have a great and still expanding library of photographs and some videos that can be used in any of the different electronic media in which my church publishes. Here, I am king and it feels great. The only brand comments are to ask what brand I use maybe as a reference for possible purchases in the future.

At any rate, there are not may DSLRs around me so even if not in the original sense, we (my camera and me) are really THAT rare .

10-04-2011, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #1160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
The answer is yes we are. I bought a Kx as my first DSLR because it gave my the best bang for my limited bucks, so when someone on the forum said that something called Woot had them on sale for one day for $430, I jumped at it. One of my better decisions. This summer I went to a very large music festival and had my little red Kx (oh, I forgot to mention that for some reason I fell in love with the red, something my Canon friends find very funny, an endless cause for their hilarious jokes!) and I felt a little inadequate when I saw the pros who got to get right up to the stage with their expensive mostly Nikon outfits. But you know what? During my 3 days at this festival, I had 5 total strangers say things like 'cool camera' and 'love your camera' and things lilke that. I'll bet nobody told those pros that they had a cool camera. And, strangely enough, I did run into one guy at the festival who had a . . . red Kx. We gave each other the thumbs up. And I guess I'm still happy with my red decision, though I've found it helps to have thick skin when I'm around all those black cameras!
Haha I can say the same about thick skin with my white K-x from Woot too
10-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #1161

Was at an airshow the other day, where there was the usual swash of Canikons, some with kit lenses, some with consumer zooms, and one or two with Ls.

Had to look twice, to make sure I was seeing a silver Pentax lens (100-300) amongst the sea of Canikons, turned out to be attached to an ist*D. Approached the guy, who was also suprised to see another Pentax shooter (albeit with a 35mm Z20), said my next upgrade is K-r/K-5, said he was going to get a K-5 soon!

B
10-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #1162
Forum Member

I find it funny how most of use knows about some stuff about other brands like say Canon's L series are awesome, Nikon's awesome flashes, but on the otherside alot of them has no clue how awesome our limiteds are.

I often go out heaps with my 40mm pancake in the city, i see sometimes canikon's with kit lens starring at my camera with a stunned expression. =D

10-05-2011, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #1163
Veteran Member

I am on my 4th Pentax Body. Went from K200D,K20D,K-7, And now K-5. It all started in Aug 2008. I have manged to talk a couple of friends into going Pentax over Canikon. Pentax just makes sense to me. On occasion I have seen other Pentaxians and enjoy it everytime I do. Its kind of nice, not being one who wasnt pressured by brand name.
10-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #1164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SaikouShadou Quote
I find it funny how most of use knows about some stuff about other brands like say Canon's L series are awesome, Nikon's awesome flashes,
i guess that all of us, or almost, have some canikons friends, and we all talk about some awesome stuff, photography ...

But for those canikons that are a bit interested by photo, they find the pancake principe interesting especially when they got the canikon equivalent of some pancake lense on non-pancake version.
10-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #1165

Hahaa, we, in Estonia sell every fifth Pentax camera in Europe And we are really small country So I see more and more Pentax users every day
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #1166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
Hahaa, we, in Estonia sell every fifth Pentax camera in Europe And we are really small country So I see more and more Pentax users every day
That settles it - next time I'm in Sweden for work and looking for a quick vacation, I'll head to Tallinn. (Helsinki just seems so... Canikonish!)
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #1167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
That settles it - next time I'm in Sweden for work and looking for a quick vacation, I'll head to Tallinn. (Helsinki just seems so... Canikonish!)
Did not know that. If it was not so cold over there, I would move back and shift the balance.
10-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #1168

I saw a person in Stratford, Ontario using older Pentax D-slr. He was visiting the area. I told about this forum and hopefully looked it up.

My sister on the other hand my sister bought a Canon Rebel D-slr and really does not get how to use it. It sees more action in the bag then being used. Any talk of really how to use draws a blank. She came from a point and shot camera background was thinking that getting a D-slr will get more creative results. It takes a ot of time and energy to get the most out of any camera. I use anything from a small Fuji point and shoot to my Pentax K-m and try to get the maximum out of all of these.

Years ago in my film days, My uncle saw the results I was getting with my Pentax film slr's. He bought a slr camera and found out it was not as easy as it looked to get great results. I think he stopped using it and it was sold after a while.

I am not really interested in what brand of camera is used. I just happened to start off with Pentax equipment enjoy using it. I was just wondering about Pentax users in general. I looks to me that some of the market is made up of very loyal long term owners. The fact that you can still use a lot of old glass on the newest cameras is a big plus. I just like the way they have designed there stuff and have stayed with them. Just think of Pentax users as a small little club of fun camera people.

Last edited by stevbike; 10-05-2011 at 06:06 PM.
10-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #1169

I love my pentax

I also was on the Annual Photowalk 2011 (Nanaimo), and of about 25 photographers, I was the only one with a pentax (k7). Didnt bother me in the least. I LOVE my camera - the way it feels in my hands, the way you can use any pentax lens - old or new, and even being part of an "elite" group. Have a loy of money invested in my system, and wouldnt trade my pentax gear for anything!
10-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #1170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, couple that K-7 with a WR lens and your suited right for Nanaimo and the rest of the rainy coastal area's.. you keep shooting while others look for their storm jackets or hide under tree's with their camera's in their jackets! Love my K-5 +18-135mm for that, just wish third party lenses would start sealing their lenses.. sure would love a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Weather Sealed unit or something of the sorts. But at least the 100mm WR is tried and true lens design with amazing results.