Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #1186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A coworker shoots Nikon. He saw my K-5 and said, "Wow - that's the best camera. I wanted to get that one, but Nikon has more lenses I can afford." I told him that's true, but with my Pentax, I can use used lenses made as long as 50 years ago, and there are many inexpensive, good quality manual focus lenses available. He replied that if he had known that, he would have gone with Pentax.

10-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #1187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
A coworker shoots Nikon. He saw my K-5 and said, "Wow - that's the best camera. I wanted to get that one, but Nikon has more lenses I can afford." I told him that's true, but with my Pentax, I can use used lenses made as long as 50 years ago, and there are many inexpensive, good quality manual focus lenses available. He replied that if he had known that, he would have gone with Pentax.
Your co-worker failed in doing the research, as the lens-compatibility is a large part of the sales pitch. He deserves what he got :-)
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #1188
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
I saw a bunch of mothers around taking photos of their kids. Many of them had Canon Rebels. ALL of them had the pop-up flashes (popped up of course). They buy the Rebel (big DLSR camera to them) and put it in Auto mode. I even saw a "professional" doing an autumn family photoshoot. She was obviously getting paid to do it. She was using a Rebel w/ kit lens and of course the pop up flash. Canon marketing sheeple everywhere.

Not saying you can't get paid to shoot a family with a rebel. It's just that when to see the pop-up flash (when conditions reveal you can do better in manual or at least AV) there is something wrong.
If you'd been in my park you'd have seen me with my K-7 using the pop up flash too.

It's great for adding fill light on the main subject (the child) so that you can keep detail in the sky. It also tends to lead to 'punchier' colours even in the unprocessed RAW - like old Agfa film - which really suits kids in playgrounds as the equipment and the kids tend to wear bright colours. You can't balance an exposure (adding light to parts of it; what I use the pop up flash for) by altering which mode the camera is in, you can only do it by adding light to the dark bits (flash) or taking light away from the dark bits (grad filters).

I could probably get better results with my proper flash and a bounce attachment, except I hardly ever bother to carry it about with me. In fact that's probably not even correct because I have no control over the power of that, whereas with the pop up flash it's really easy to dial it down a bit (mine is almost always on -1)

Using the pop up flash isn't necessarily an indicator that you don't know what you're doing any more than the cost of the lens or the badge on the prism are. Only the pictures can tell you that.
10-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #1189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting insects in macro I shoot ambient then often shoot a couple with the pop-up. You never know, some images are all pink because of surrounding flowers bouncing the light (an interesting unintended effect). Occasionally I get true winners. It's just memory, it doesn't hurt to try.

Of course, when I think ahead of time or are indoors etc I'll use the 360. And if someone's charging for their work they should use a hotshoe flash which is much more flexible.

I'm seeing a lot more superzooms and 4/3s these days than DSLRs. I try to talk to the 4/3 people because that's a quirky choice and many know what they're doing. I hope to see some Qs out there soon.

A buddy of mine bought one of the Pentax rugged P&S cameras because he drops things a lot!

10-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #1190
Veteran Member

I have a workmate, who, incidently, takes great photos with a Canon P&S, and there, as well, are two of us, who work together, who are avid Pentaxians, both with K5's.
Now the first guy, when he saw our fancy Pentax K5 Dslr's, decided he needed to get into Dslr's. He went out and bought a Canon DSLR ( for about $900 if I remember correctly).Nothing we said would sway him from Canon.
He took a few shots and showed them to me, they were pretty ordinary. He didn't like them at all.
The dslr was immediately put away, and has never seen daylight since AFAIK.
He now has gone back to the little P&S, which is his choice, and takes some good shots with it.

How many shooters out there carry a Can/Nik/Pent Dslr, top of the line perhaps, stick it in auto and click away simply because it is the thing to do, or because it makes "better" pictures easier, or good shots, automatically.

I agree, it what is 3 or 4 inches behind the viewfinder that counts not the camera itself, to some extent.
10-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #1191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
If you'd been in my park you'd have seen me with my K-7 using the pop up flash too.

It's great for adding fill light on the main subject (the child) so that you can keep detail in the sky. It also tends to lead to 'punchier' colours even in the unprocessed RAW - like old Agfa film - which really suits kids in playgrounds as the equipment and the kids tend to wear bright colours. You can't balance an exposure (adding light to parts of it; what I use the pop up flash for) by altering which mode the camera is in, you can only do it by adding light to the dark bits (flash) or taking light away from the dark bits (grad filters).

I could probably get better results with my proper flash and a bounce attachment, except I hardly ever bother to carry it about with me. In fact that's probably not even correct because I have no control over the power of that, whereas with the pop up flash it's really easy to dial it down a bit (mine is almost always on -1)

Using the pop up flash isn't necessarily an indicator that you don't know what you're doing any more than the cost of the lens or the badge on the prism are. Only the pictures can tell you that.
if asked the question, did those people intentionally used the pop-up flash or had it set automatically without the intention of knowing it's real purpose? even more ridiculous are people using intentionally using a pop up flash on subjects that are over 20 feet away.
10-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #1192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have a workmate, who, incidently, takes great photos with a Canon P&S, and there, as well, are two of us, who work together, who are avid Pentaxians, both with K5's.
Now the first guy, when he saw our fancy Pentax K5 Dslr's, decided he needed to get into Dslr's. He went out and bought a Canon DSLR ( for about $900 if I remember correctly).Nothing we said would sway him from Canon.
He took a few shots and showed them to me, they were pretty ordinary. He didn't like them at all.
The dslr was immediately put away, and has never seen daylight since AFAIK.
He now has gone back to the little P&S, which is his choice, and takes some good shots with it.

How many shooters out there carry a Can/Nik/Pent Dslr, top of the line perhaps, stick it in auto and click away simply because it is the thing to do, or because it makes "better" pictures easier, or good shots, automatically.

I agree, it what is 3 or 4 inches behind the viewfinder that counts not the camera itself, to some extent.
note to self, don't buy an equipment that you have no idea of using it at it's full capacity.

10-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #1193
Pentaxian

I've found that the pop up flash can be used with the DA35 macro - in a pinch - if I stick a white business card in front of it. However, do need to adjust the white balance, because by default it makes the image a slightly peach-pink tint.
10-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #1194
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was in our local full service camera store recently and overheard the discussion between a customer and the salesman who is the biggest techno wonk in the store: The customer was looking to ugrade to a newer Canon body so he could get more megapixels especially while shooting in raw. He then admitted he didn't use 90% of the functions of the camera. I think he bought a new D90 for big bucks. Me, I looked in the used case and ended up buying a mint condition Pentax-M 50 f/4 macro for $99. I wonder who got the better deal.
Mention Pentax to the wonk salesman and he rolls his eyes and talks about how he doesn't like the software. Of course, he has none to sell and makes no money off Pentax.
10-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #1195

So I've been working at the airport for a year now. Have yet to see one Pentax.
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #1196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more of the same:

Me: hand holding my K5 +DA*300/4, taking picks of the thousands of Snow Geese flying all around.
She: (nasty looking and not very friendly either) with the "Big White" Canon lens-thing on a huge tripod.

Me: "Lots today! Isn't that great?"
She: " + + (she-thinks)" ... not a word; just took a quick look at my gear and literally turned away !

Anyway, I got some nice BIF shots while she was struggling to aim at over 1000 yards @ 20,000 rpm !

JP
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #1197
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Am at a big photo workshop on the California coast this week. Today at an outdoor shoot, I saw a red camera nearby and went over to say hi, only to find it was a red NIKON!!! What is the world coming to? It was a D3100 and the young lady said she had only had it 4 days.

I have been wearing my "Yes, its a Pentax" shirt and ball cap but seem to be the only one out of over 100 participants. Some of the instructors seem a bit bemused by me.
10-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #1198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, I got back from Barcelona on Oct 3rd. Seems like ages ago now that I'm back at work.

I was impressed by the number of MF shooters:

1 6x4.5
1 6x6
1 6x7 (Mamiya)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Phil.
thanks Phil

Funnily enough in Figueres yesterday i saw 2 kx and 3 kr all with kit lenses all at the Dali museum

I leave for home sunday since the Gov't has blocked the Air Canada Strike

Zombie Walk in Sitges tonight
10-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #1199
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote

Silly old bugger...but you're right!

Cheers Paddy
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #1200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Funnily enough in Figueres yesterday i saw 2 kx and 3 kr all with kit lenses all at the Dali museum
What a great museum! I love the car with the rainstorm in it, and the amazing sketches and ink drawings in well-lit halls, and the fact that there is no photography restriction!!

Las time I was there (2004?) I remember a guy with the P&S who was quite literally walking from piece to piece just looking at his LCD screen and snapping a photo and occasionally making dissatisfied grunts if someone was in front of the next piece he wanted to "shoot." I don't think he noticed a single work of art in the whole place...

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I leave for home sunday since the Gov't has blocked the Air Canada Strike
Yes, good thing you aren't stranded with all that tapas and paella and warmth. (Kidding, I know we all have lives to get back to in T.O.)

Oh, and the last person to notice my gear and say what a great camera the Pentax K-5 is (and asked to examine my FA 43 Ltd) was... the Nikon consumer products manager for Canada.