Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #1306

I see there are several of us in this blog with shared commonalities; as for instance age, photo experience, and why not, love for the brand even if the brand doesn't return in kind.

I am 56 years old, started photography as a hobby in my college years with a borrowed Canon rangefinder shooting B&W and doing OK.

While in my first years of professional work (I am a chemical engineer by training) I progressed to a fabulous Spotmatic F with a thread f/1.4 lens. Unfortunately that camera was stolen from me. But in consolation I bought an ME (prior model to the ME Super) with the k-mount f/1.4 lens. The camera broke several years and dozens of rolls later but was kept around at home.

I went through a couple film p&s missing the quality of the SRL but unable to do anything about it. I entered the digital age around 2001 with a Nikon Coolpix 950 that works great, and later a Canon SD450 that also takes great photos. But not as great as my last camera.

Now I am almost a year since I bought my K-x and loving it. I haven't counted how many photos I have taken with it but it must be for sure logging around the 20k figure. And one plus of it is that I have my 32 year old k-mount f/1.4 lens that takes great bokeh photos. In summary, I like what I have and try to enjoy it as best possible taking lots of photos knowing that some will be great.

My immediate plans are to try to get one of those (used) Tamron or Pentax 18-250 discontinued AF zooms for better all-around performance. Anyone here thinking in selling one? Meanwhile, enjoy these fine pieces of engineering. Cheers.

01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #1307

Photos: Gallery
I just got the latest issue of Digital PhotoPro magazine in the mail, and the ad on the back cover was for a photo lab called duggal.com. In the picture for the ad, the photographer was shooting Pentax!
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is actually real cool for Pentax as Duggal is a high end lab in NYC! It is well respected too!
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #1309

Photos: Albums
Oh awesome. I also thought it was cool how the homepage of Flickr had an image of someone with a bunch of cameras strapped on and about 3 were Pentax.

01-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #1310

She's the only person I've seen with a Pentax besides myself. I'm not sure if she has a K-R or a KX but my K-R is the white version too. When I'm out shooting I get all kinds of reactions, mostly positive. Some people are so excited and stop to tell me that they love my camera while others have never even heard of Pentax.

Here are some FAQ's that I get:

1) Wow, I've never seen a white camera before. That's really nice! Who makes it?

2) Pentax?? Who's that?

3) Are they as good as Canon or Nikon?

4) How many megapixels does it have?

Usually the questions stop once I say 12MP like it's not good enough but some still want to know does the K-R have good video and how much does it cost.
01-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #1311

It does seem as if very few people I know use Pentax; actually I think I'm the only one.

QuoteQuote:
I am 56 years old, started photography as a hobby in my college years with a borrowed Canon rangefinder shooting B&W and doing OK.
Interesting about the "age" thing. I am 57 and learned to shoot 35mm slr back in the mid 80s. Are many of us in that 50+ age range?

At that time, Pentax wasn't considered one of the "better" brands, at least not by the circle I hung with. Canon & Minolta were probably the most common, although Yashica had a very good following. I was a Minolta gal myself (only because I was able to buy an affordable used one for my photography class, but I learned to love it). But, having said that, I am really, really impressed with the Pentax dslr's and based on handling a few of the "others" recently, I think I'm hooked on Pentax--both because of the lens compatibility and because of the build--they just feel better in the hand, at least in my hand! And they "feel" better built--whether or not that's the case, I don't know enough to know. But, given my druthers, when I upgrade, it'll be to another Pentax.
01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #1312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Are many of us in that 50+ age range?
One more here. I started with Pentax ME in 1980; I have a preference for Pentax (without feeling that it is inherently "superior"). I feel that Pentax is great performing, and a great value. Regarding the Pentax sightings, I see only a few while out and about, but I do see them.

they just feel better in the hand, at least in my hand!
Tend to agree, but its subjective, I know. My k100dS feels better than almost any other entry level DSLR I've handled in stores. Regrettably, it also felt better than the k-r I handled as well. Maybe I am biased.

01-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #1313

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
its subjective, I know. My k100dS feels better than almost any other entry level DSLR I've handled in stores.
I have the k100ds too, so if you're biased as to the great feel of it, then so am I! Yes, it is subjective--a lighter, smaller dslr might be just the thing for some people, but I prefer the heftier build. Each brand and each body style has its fans, that is certain. But, I did also try an Olympus 4/3 model--I mean shot with it, played with it, put it through its paces, not just test-handled it at a store, at the same time I tried the k100ds, and I sent the Olympus back. That's not to say the Pentax is "better," only that *I* liked it better. I haven't tried a k-r yet, but I'm pretty sure, at this point anyway, that the k-7 is my next buy, even though it's "old" (but it's newer than what I have now!).

I feel the brand is a very good value in the marketplace, and do hope they come out with more models once things are in their groove again after the upheaval of the sale to Ricoh.
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #1314
Veteran Member

do hope they come out with more models once things are in their groove again after the upheaval of the sale to Ricoh.
Me too. There must be a huge percentage of us here at PF that are anxiously awaiting the next bodies and developments.
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #1315

Usually I'm too busy worrying about how to get the shots I want to look around at other photographers, but after reading this thread I thought I'd keep a look out for other Pentax shooters at the Detroit Auto Show.

I only saw two and strangely enough we were all trying to take pictures of the same car! One guy was using an istD and I don't know the body the other guy was using but I distinctly saw a DAL lens on his camera.

There must be a huge percentage of us here at PF that are anxiously awaiting the next bodies and developments
I just bought a K-5, so I'm mostly interested in the developments part of this
I'm hoping they fill out the lens lineup, I'd love to see an weather sealed lens in the 'normal' APS-C range.

Growing up my Dad bought me a couple of Pentax film cameras and I've had a good feeling towards the brand since. When I decided to make the plunge and get a dSLR, I decided to go with Pentax because I could use my old A50/2.0 and Tamron 28-80 lenses from my film bodies. I was really impressed when I got my hands on my K-x and when I recently upgraded to the K-5 I was pleased as punch!

great value
This is the other main reason I originally went with Pentax.
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1316
Veteran Member

As well as the 3 or 4 other students on my campus the manager of the campus bookstore's husband also shoots a K-x...
02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #1317
Forum Member

SUper Bowl Week in Indianapolis!
Lucky enough to have great weather for this time of the year. I went to the Super Bowl Village 3 times, today with my K5. I only saw one Pentax (a red kx/kr), one Leica (M9 I believe) and the usual arrangement of Canon/Nikons.
If interested to get an idea of what things looked like check Super Bowl Week - a set on Flickr
02-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1318

We just spent 5 days in Disney World and I only saw 1 other Pentax..... Personally I would rather be apart from the crowd, plus I make sure to carry myself and my kit in a way that makes me look like I know what I am doing... professionalism will go a long way in separating us from the generic.
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #1319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the young counter folk at the local Wolf Photo is a camera collector. I showed him my Retina IIIc and Vitessa L and he was properly impressed with these mid-fifties folders built before he was born. Yesterday I took in my LX with winder and 50mm f1.2. He was really taken with the general feel of the camera and especially the viewfinder. We all know, of course, of the "wide-screen" finders of the MX, ME, and LX, but he'd never experienced such. He recently bought a Nikon F3 with from what I can gather the high point finder, so he does at least have the "second-best."

I'll have to take in my 645n and see how he reacts to a real he-man machine.
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1320
Forum Member

I went to the Philly Auto show yesterday and only saw one other Pentax owner. I stopped and said hello to start a conversation. He told me he was new at it and was thinking of selling it and picking up a Canon or a Nikon instead. I told him not to sell it and just learn the camera. I guess everyone automatically thinks Canons/Nikons just magically take professional photos without any skill, etc. I think Pentax is the most user friendly camera out there, but I might be biased. I started out with a K100D and recently upgraded to a K-5.