Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #1486
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
I never run across another Pentax user in the wilds of Indiana. Such a shame.
If you are in central Indiana and especally east central, you can find me out and about.

04-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #1487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Everything that's not secured in multiple points could potentially fail. that's why some people wear crazy setups.
It isn't just that.

A neck strap not actually around a neck is just a device for snagging on things and yanking the camera out of your hand and sending it crashing to the ground.

No strap at all is preferable to a neck strap if the user isn't religious about keeping it around his neck. Wrapping it around the wrist is false security, unless wrapped around so many times or in such a way that losing your grip on the camera doesn't result in a drop....which I have my doubts about.
04-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #1488

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
If you are in central Indiana and especally east central, you can find me out and about.
Well, we are probably not too far apart. But, I am located in west central. I will keep an eye out for you though, with gas prices being what they are, I tend to stick fairly close to home these days.
04-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #1489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It isn't just that.

A neck strap not actually around a neck is just a device for snagging on things and yanking the camera out of your hand and sending it crashing to the ground.

No strap at all is preferable to a neck strap if the user isn't religious about keeping it around his neck. Wrapping it around the wrist is false security, unless wrapped around so many times or in such a way that losing your grip on the camera doesn't result in a drop....which I have my doubts about.
I put my wrist through, twist and then through again; makes a loop around your wrist. Always works really well for me.

04-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #1490
Veteran Member

In the two years or so since taking it up I've never run into another Pentax user. Had a couple of days last week doing various museums during the holidays - I would guess I saw hundreds of photographers (particularly at the National Railway Museum) yet never saw a Pentax. A couple of Sony and the rest (apart from a number of 4/3rds) were all Canon or Nikon.
04-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #1491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It isn't just that.

So I picked up the K100D from my desk, started to walk off , the strap snagged the drawer knob...
The K50/1.2 took the hit on the floor
Luckily the dent in the filter ring was bent out ok...

Meanwhile back at the topic
I walked up behind the library one twilight for a view of Mt Doom,
some old bloke wandered up with a DSLR
It was a K20D, I couldn't believe it.
I have never seen another Pentax here unless it one I sold to or bought for someone

Pete

Last edited by Transit; 04-17-2012 at 03:41 AM.
04-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #1492
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Last Saturday I went to an electronics shop in Tainan, Taiwan, near the train station and saw a black and a white K-01 on display. I talked to the salesman, who said they also could easily get the upper models of dSLR. The other camera shops in the area had everything else, although there were a couple of shops proclaiming Ricoh with Pentax products. Also saw a shop carrying Nikon bodies, including several film models, quite near the former Foreign Police station.

04-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #1493
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I put my wrist through, twist and then through again; makes a loop around your wrist. Always works really well for me.
I do the very same thing, but still keep the camera in both hands if I can help it.
04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #1494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
As a consolation, I ran into a beautiful woman shooting with a full-frame Canon. She complimented me on my *ist D: she couldn't believe it was digital, and she loved the way it looked with the SMC A lens on it. This sort of thing happens all the time. ;D
Ooh La La!
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #1495
Veteran Member

I recall that Pentax was the most numerous SLR I saw in Regina, Canada, in the mid-1970s, so I was surprised to see them disappear. In the 1980s the photography instructors at Ryerson Technical Institute in Toronto, Canada, told their students to buy Pentax K1000s. However, the instructors and the sales staff at local camera stores told them that if they wanted to continue in photography they would have to switch to Nikon or Canon because "there aren't enough used Pentax lenses available for a professional".
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #1496

I have not seen another Pentax user in my travels I've owned mine for about 7 months and not seen another uk user I saw an advert on eBay for an old pentax zoom lens and the description was about how he hated canikon users because of there ignorance and they are all stuck up he then went on to mention that Pentax spends more money on the actual camera than marketing and that the camera build qualities are so much more advanced due to this fact he refered.to canikon users as zombie sheep following one another "oh Bob's bought a canon eos so I better" in a way we are unique. We are the few, the proud, the pentaxians!!!
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #1497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
/snippity/ "there aren't enough used Pentax lenses available for a professional".
This is such BS.
04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #1498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Originally posted by pete-tarmigan*
/snippity/ "there aren't enough used Pentax lenses available for a professional".
This is such BS.
Definitely an ill-informed statement.
04-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #1499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Definitely an ill-informed statement.
Definitely not. Taking into the equation the small number of pentax users ==> even smaller number of pros ==> not a huge demand. For example, I saw 3 80-200 2.8's on sale from Europe somewhere. Nikon equivalents (three versions mind you) amounted to some 10 lenses. I believe there are much more Nikon shooters with "pro" requirements than 3-4 times the Pentax number.

Then take for example the fact that you can use almost any DSLR lens on Pentax cameras, whereas with N you need lenses made for N or they don't behave as they should. (infinity focus springs to mind)

I'm talking Nikon here because I know the system, I'm sure someone could do the other brands.
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #1500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Well, we are probably not too far apart. But, I am located in west central. I will keep an eye out for you though, with gas prices being what they are, I tend to stick fairly close to home these days.
I know what you mean. I'm still looking for a job and of course the state isn't helping at the moment because of the red tape.

I will be in west central Indiana on the 21st at leaber state recreaction area for a family get togather, but I will have my cameras with me. Who knows, I might get some good pictures.