Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #1501
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Then take for example the fact that you can use almost any DSLR lens on Pentax cameras, whereas with N you need lenses made for N or they don't behave as they should. (infinity focus springs to mind)
That's true for Canon, not Pentax. Pentax PK cameras can mount M42, M39, Leica R, some MF, and T-mount and Adaptall lenses, with appropriate adapters. Exakta-Topcon-mount lenses can be easily adapted. Nikon, OM, and C/Y lenses can be readily modified; some Nikons don't need modding. Petri bayonets can be modded with a bit more trouble. But Canon, Minolta, Konica, Sony, Leica M, 4/3, Pentacon and Fuji bayonets etc can't be used. Nikon is the universal donor. Canon is almost the universal recipient. Reality sucks, eh?

04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #1502
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes its true Canon is the most common recipient but the lenses are usually Canonibalised in some way, leverectomies are very common. Canon builds masses of lenses but the Canonista's have to ruin all our great glass!
04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #1503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But Canon, Minolta, Konica, Sony, Leica M, 4/3, Pentacon and Fuji bayonets etc can't be used. Nikon is the universal donor. Canon is almost the universal recipient. Reality sucks, eh?
But Canon can't use Konica, Leica M, m43, Fuji or Minolta MD either? At least, their register distances are shorter than Canon's, so they must need an optical adapter, right?

Btw, found a handy chart of mounts sorted by register here.
04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #1504
Veteran Member

I'm using a couple of MC/MD lenses with an adapter. Has to be full manual but no big deal and I don't really care that I can't tell you what the exact focal length is, on my K-5.

Lens 1= MC Rokkor 50mm f/1.4

Lens 2= Formula5 200mm f/3.5

I don't use them a lot because they are both very heavy, being all metal construction, and BIG, but they work.

04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1505
Veteran Member

Well I went on the Google+ photo walk back in 31st of March, a world record number of 225 photogs turned up, guess how many Pentax I saw?

5, yup, FIVE, I think we were rarer than Leica users lol
04-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #1506
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Ouch. Was it totaled? I always, always use the neck strap with my K-r, the only exception being if I'm laying on the ground with it for macros, or tripod work (and I put the strap on before I release it from the tripod! Yes, I'm paranoid ). People like in the pic I commented on look like they think it's a fashion accessory, I've never understood that.
It bounced on his leg and hit his model's foot so the biggest damage was a dent on its underside, near the battery door. Still shoots, but I'm afraid its build has been quite compromised (and the sealing too). I'm also paranoid enough with the strap. Even with it on my neck, I clip it to my shirt collar to make sure it won't slide up my neck in case I have to duck.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
No strap at all is preferable to a neck strap if the user isn't religious about keeping it around his neck. Wrapping it around the wrist is false security, unless wrapped around so many times or in such a way that losing your grip on the camera doesn't result in a drop....which I have my doubts about.
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I put my wrist through, twist and then through again; makes a loop around your wrist. Always works really well for me
Same here, works for me. And also, when I do have to wrap the strap around my wrist (forearm actually), I never, like never put the hand with the camera down at any occasion, except if it's to unstrap it or put it back in the bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
I haven't run into a single Pentax user in my entire life. I've run into people who've found a 35mm Pentax body in their closets…and sold them to buy a Nikon…
True. Sad that most newbies today just throw out the window of opportunity from their ancestor's Pentax of having another lens within their first months. My friend with his old D40 (the one who had his accident with his D7000) was on kit lens for a year before he got his 50 1.8D. He was well into 7 months of ownership when I got my K-x, and in the first month already had an M 50 1.4. Next month the FA 100-300 silver. Today I have 5 (if I didn't sell the others I acquired, 8), kit included, and he still has 2 (sold the 1.8D for a 1.8G). Not that I'm saying it's better to have more lenses to shoot with, but looking at the perspective of having fun with lenses early, it's better to go Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Well I went on the Google+ photo walk back in 31st of March, a world record number of 225 photogs turned up, guess how many Pentax I saw? 5, yup, FIVE, I think we were rarer than Leica users lol
They must be somewhere shooting on their own (or doing their best at being ninja, lol )
04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #1507
Veteran Member

But Canon can't use Konica, Leica M, m43, Fuji or Minolta MD either?
Well now I started a mess. I think that the camera with the shortest reg distance (the above listed?) can take anything else. Is this right?

But here there are listed lenses for smaller sensors, so they're bound to have a shorter registration distance.

04-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #1508
Veteran Member

Well now I started a mess. I think that the camera with the shortest reg distance (the above listed?) can take anything else. Is this right?
Sony NEX?
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #1509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny. I owned a Pentax ME Super, oh back in the 80s...still have it. I was influenced by my college roomate who also owned one...and at the time, Consumer Reports listed it as a top SLR for ease of use. I had the 50 mm F2 lens...as I knew nothing of lenses and had no money to upgrade. My use of it gradually faded...But about a year ago, my youngest daughter started getting into competetive sports. I resurected the old ME Super, bought a decent telephoto lense, and started shooting film again. Then she made her high school varsity team (as a freshman, so forgive me for puffing the old man's chest a little bit here), and low and behold I saw someone else's mom using a Pentax DSLR and the bug hit me. It was time to move make the move and a few months later, found a retailer in Tacoma who actually stocks Pentax gear, and purchsed a K-r. My old lenses worked fine, but the itch to buy some good glass is starting to kick in..."Danger Will Robinson!"...., so to Keyofnight from Seattle...there are at least three of us in Washington State....and at least two in Olympia.
04-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #1510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

U
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonyr99 Quote
but the itch to buy some good glass is starting to kick in...
Uh oh! I think another person is starting to develop a case of LBA! Get a second job (or third if you have two now)!. :O
04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #1511
Veteran Member

But here there are listed lenses for smaller sensors, so they're bound to have a shorter registration distance.
A mess wasn't my intent, it just seemed a curious statement, saying Pentax can't take those mounts (without an optically corrected adapter, in theory) but implying that Canon could, by saying it's a universal recipient. Looking at the chart I posted, I was just surprised that it's such a relative handful of mounts in between Canon EOS and Pentax K.
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #1512
Veteran Member

Well, as long as the lens doesn't extend into the mount too much, you could mount anything, but infinity focus would suffer. But it's a darn cheap way to get a weak macro lens.

I didn't blame you for anything, sorry if it sounded that way.
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #1513

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
We are the few, the proud, the pentaxians!!!
Oooo, I like that one!!
04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1514

People like in the pic I commented on look like they think it's a fashion accessory, I've never understood that.
If you've ever watched DigitalRevTV, you'll know that a good tip to avoid that is to have a strap from a different brand on the camera. That really confuses people.

David
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #1515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orangezorki Quote
If you've ever watched DigitalRevTV
Is that that Kai twit that jumps around like an idiot for ten minutes to actually talk about a gadget for 2? If so, I've seen a couple, and wouldn't watch again.