Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1516
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Is that that Kai twit that jumps around like an idiot for ten minutes to actually talk about a gadget for 2? If so, I've seen a couple, and wouldn't watch again.
This is the last I've seen of him make any Pentax review:

04-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #1517
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
This is the last I've seen of him make any Pentax review:

Pentax K-r Review (Will Ricoh Kill Pentax?) - YouTube
I wish I hadn't looked but I couldnt help myself. About 2 minutes of genuine review and 10 of unadulterated crap. I wish he would grow up.
04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #1518

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I wish I hadn't looked but I couldnt help myself. About 2 minutes of genuine review and 10 of unadulterated crap. I wish he would grow up.
I find Kai very entertaining, but I also find him a little… um… ahaha… the word isn't "twit," but…

Okay. I think he's too swayed by his sense of (superficial) aesthetics. I watch a lot of his videos, and it's as if he wants every body to look like the old SLRs and Leica Rangefinders. In reviewing the K-r, he chose a camera easier to make fun of on these grounds. It would've been nice for him to review the K5, because I think it has an older aesthetic he might like.

Either way, he can be a little dense.
04-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #1519
Pentaxian

I chuckle at his public school twit lisp and Clarkson takeoffs
He shouldn't wear shorts, makes this movie a health hazard

04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #1520

Photos: Albums
Haha that guy is annoying but funny the only bit of the review that was any good was the flash pop up and the catch to Shut it is a bit dodgy all the rest is rubbish
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #1521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was good to see at ACE Photo in Ashburn, VA a big display of the K-01 as you walk in to the store. A customer was looking at one and was planning purchasing! Refreshing to see the sales person actually pointing out its good features!
04-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #1522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
Refreshing to see the sales person actually pointing out its good features!
Ah, that's good news indeed. I hope salespersons everywhere recognize Pentax's quality products too not just Canikon!

04-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #1523

Hahah… Kai even gave the K-01 a (fairly) favorable review. I wouldn't buy it—if I'm going to go mirrorless, I want the camera to be way thinner than that—but I wouldn't turn a person away from it either. ;D

04-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #1524
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just returned from 10 days back in Japan, one of my bi-annual trips. I found more Pentax shooters in this one trip than all other sightings put together. Of course, I was in Japan and I assume (no empirical data) that Pentax sells more units "at home." I saw 3 or 4 K-01s, at least 3 K-X/K-R of different colors, a K-20 and a K-7 or K-5 spotted at a distance. I commented to the K-20 guy and we had a bit of a kindred-spirit moment. My rather limited Japanese isn't good enough for much more.

It was kind of nice not to be the lone ranger for once.
04-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #1525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
Hahah… Kai even gave the K-01 a (fairly) favorable review. I wouldn't buy it—if I'm going to go mirrorless, I want the camera to be way thinner than that—but I wouldn't turn a person away from it either. ;D
This seems to be new. Wonder what's with the sudden "praise" for Pentax here. Ricoh threw some coins from its purse? lol =))

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I just returned from 10 days back in Japan, one of my bi-annual trips. I found more Pentax shooters in this one trip than all other sightings put together. Of course, I was in Japan and I assume (no empirical data) that Pentax sells more units "at home." I saw 3 or 4 K-01s, at least 3 K-X/K-R of different colors, a K-20 and a K-7 or K-5 spotted at a distance. I commented to the K-20 guy and we had a bit of a kindred-spirit moment. My rather limited Japanese isn't good enough for much more. It was kind of nice not to be the lone ranger for once.
cool. I've never seen more than three Pentaxes (including me) in any event yet. Must be crazy seeing a bunch of colored K-x/K-r's in a single spot )
04-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #1526

This seems to be new. Wonder what's with the sudden "praise" for Pentax here. Ricoh threw some coins from its purse? lol =))
Definitely a new review, but his opinion hasn't changed much. He said similar things about the Q. To paraphrase, "it's nice to see Pentax doing something different/interesting, but the performance isn't as good as it could be…"

Either way, I would want a better review for the price (whatever the price might have been). I think Kai is just a sucker for funky aesthetics. (;
04-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #1527

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I just returned from 10 days back in Japan, one of my bi-annual trips. I found more Pentax shooters in this one trip than all other sightings put together. Of course, I was in Japan and I assume (no empirical data) that Pentax sells more units "at home." I saw 3 or 4 K-01s, at least 3 K-X/K-R of different colors, a K-20 and a K-7 or K-5 spotted at a distance. I commented to the K-20 guy and we had a bit of a kindred-spirit moment. My rather limited Japanese isn't good enough for much more.

It was kind of nice not to be the lone ranger for once.
But Canon and Nikon are also Japanese. As well as pretty much everything else haha

I actually met two other k-r users right here in Sydney. Both were also girls. One had pink and one had white. Another friend's friend (male) who's from Germany and lives in Melbourne had a black k-r.

I think Pentax's value for money and cuteness is attracting some more crowds!
04-26-2012, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #1528

I shot Nikon in the film days, the FM was small, took a huge variety of lenses and metered to within 1/5 of a stop. Once the bloated DSLR's came on the the scene I was pretty turned off by both the bloated size and performance of anything affordable. I was actually looking at a FF Canon MarkII or Nikon D700, but then I found the K5 online, since there were none in any store. It is small, well built, takes a huge variety of lenses and meters very accurately and has a stupendous sensor, 100% viewfinder, etc.; what else could you want?! That said, I have yet to see someone else with a Pentax, or one in a store. For that matter, I am seeing true camera stores all but gone, replaced by big box stores with generally poorly trained sales people advising poorly informed consumers. I have seen reviews of C/N who like the large lenses because they feel it makes them look professional, so with a mentality like that....
04-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #1529

It's true I still don't see people on the street or when I'm Travelling with a Pentax
04-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #1530

True. Sad that most newbies today just throw out the window of opportunity from their ancestor's Pentax of having another lens within their first months. My friend with his old D40 (the one who had his accident with his D7000) was on kit lens for a year before he got his 50 1.8D. He was well into 7 months of ownership when I got my K-x, and in the first month already had an M 50 1.4. Next month the FA 100-300 silver. Today I have 5 (if I didn't sell the others I acquired, 8), kit included, and he still has 2 (sold the 1.8D for a 1.8G). Not that I'm saying it's better to have more lenses to shoot with, but looking at the perspective of having fun with lenses early, it's better to go Pentax.
I find that I prefer Nikon to Canon—mostly because I like the styling of Nikon gear more. However, their lens systems are insane to me. There are so many lenses, and I hear there are strange compatibility issues… and so on. I prefer simplicity over the illusion of a choice, and I prefer to use old things with a history to them. With Pentax, if I were into autofocus, I'd just grab a few DA Limited lenses. I'm not, so I'm gunning for cheaper A lenses. If I didn't care much about aperture functions, I would just grab the M42 or M lenses. This all seems easy to me, but maybe I'm just very much used to the Pentax K-mount and its history. I'd like to experiment with Nikon to see if the situation is as bad as I'm inclined to think it is.