Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #1531

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
Hahah… Kai even gave the K-01 a (fairly) favorable review. I wouldn't buy it—if I'm going to go mirrorless, I want the camera to be way thinner than that—but I wouldn't turn a person away from it either. ;D

Pentax K-01 Hands-on Review - YouTube
Now I really want to see his review on Q..

04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #1532
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cure for Pentax rarity!
Two years ago when my nephew was looking for an entry level DSLR I steered him towards a Kx, which he subsequently bought when I found him a deal with an 18-55mm and a 55-300. Last year his girlfriend got the photography bug and she tried his Kx which she loved, and is now the proud owner of a Kr. Recently my next door neighbour's daughter has started in photography so I steered her towards a Kr, which with my help she is now the proud owner of.
This has one side affect they all want to borrow my various lenses!
The next project is my brother who is an Olympus shooter and has been looking for a new DSLR.

Glenn
04-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #1533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
The next project is my brother who is an Olympus shooter and has been looking for a new DSLR.

Glenn
Good luck!
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #1534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
You seem to be a disease vector. Typhoid Mary and Pentax Glenn -- watch out!

04-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #1535

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Now I really want to see his review on Q..
Ask and you shall receive. ;D

04-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #1536
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, this is really weird. That's two Pentax reviews by Kai within a couple of months...
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #1537

Didn't like his review on Q ;( The intern girl was really pretty..

04-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #1538
Veteran Member

Oh wait. This was done October last year lol.

I agree about the intern girl. Wonder if she's still with their team haha
04-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #1539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spotted yesterday, two kids (probably college students; this was in a college town) on a scooter, she on the back doing some ride-by street photography with a camera on a standard Pentax strap. Couldn't tell what camera or lens, but it was black and the lens was fairly small.
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #1540
Inactive Account

It seems to me that Pentaxians have become more common in recent years. In the pre-K-x era I almost never saw anyone shooting Pentaxes, but then the K-x came out and I started seeing them from time to time (the "stormtrooper" K-x seemed quite popular, it's the most common Pentax I've seen.) Then the K-5 came out, and they seem to be everywhere now.

Of course, the down side of more people shooting Pentax is... more chances of provoking LBA. Just last month at my local photo club meet, I saw this guy who had both the 31 and 43 Limiteds in addition to a mint A 50 f/1.2 (!) Damn was I envious :O
05-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1541

I just love how Pentaxians are just so much friendlier. I met a friend of mine the other day and she said, "Really? a Pentax?". Apparently since working in a camera store she has convinced herself that Nikon is the only way to go for DSLRs. I'm fine with that being her life choice but shoving it in my face by telling me how much better it is will not switch me over. I know I'm not the best photog around but my equipment doesn't make my work, I do. =S
05-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #1542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
I just love how Pentaxians are just so much friendlier. I met a friend of mine the other day and she said, "Really? a Pentax?". Apparently since working in a camera store she has convinced herself that Nikon is the only way to go for DSLRs. I'm fine with that being her life choice but shoving it in my face by telling me how much better it is will not switch me over. I know I'm not the best photog around but my equipment doesn't make my work, I do. =S
You can't imagine how many people had been told that, and related here the same kind of story !
That's just so incredible.
05-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #1543
Veteran Member

I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of my photo club when I tell them I might be going to Pentax (it's K-5 vs D700 for now).

Currently we're all Nikon (apparently the only Canon shooter ever left very soon :P), and quite fanboyish (me included).
05-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #1544

I work retail and have sold a few Pentax K-r cameras (before they went discontinued). Mostly the digital filters and the ease of use of the fricking menus is what sets them apart. Oh, that and I tell people you don't need big, expensive heavy lenses because the image stabilization is in the body. For photo hobbyists, I like to tell them about the legacy lenses they can look into, and yeah, cameras like the K-r are very successful for a reason.

With some marketing money- Pentax can carve out a nice niche. I just worry that people think "Oh, this $600 Nikon is 'Professional'" and if they are going to go professional, they may as well go Nikon. Yes, people think this. If they want a particular camera, I'll sell it to them, but for the people who want fun filters, speedy firmware, and ease of use, Pentax is more than a viable option.

Now for students looking for semi-pro equipment, it's harder. Sure there is the K-5, but most students I sell too look for the D700 and 5DMKII, only a few look for the updates (as they are so expensive).
05-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #1545

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
With some marketing money- Pentax can carve out a nice niche. I just worry that people think "Oh, this $600 Nikon is 'Professional'" and if they are going to go professional, they may as well go Nikon. Yes, people think this. If they want a particular camera, I'll sell it to them, but for the people who want fun filters, speedy firmware, and ease of use, Pentax is more than a viable option.

Now for students looking for semi-pro equipment, it's harder. Sure there is the K-5, but most students I sell too look for the D700 and 5DMKII, only a few look for the updates (as they are so expensive).
I find it strange that people find it strange to choose what they think is a more "professional" camera setup. Many of my photography mentors have stressed this as a point: if the clients don't respect you as "the photographer," they'll think of you as just another "guy with a camera." If you carry around a battery grip (or, back then, a winder motorized drive system), a flash bracket, and a serious zoom lens,it makes you look professional. It's unfortunate that the image of a photographer has become so bound up with the camera's brand, but that's to be expected as companies begin to appeal to different (new) demographics.

I don't buy any of these approaches to "appearing professional," and the notion itself is a strange one in the first place. It's better to win the client's respect by being knowledgable about our craft in consultations, by being respectful to the client at the gig, by shooting our subjects with confidence and competence, and by producing the best images possible. (; However, I can see why a person would try to buy the camera that will give them the best chance at success—especially when so many professionals use the D700 or 5Dii. None of this is crazy or surprising.