Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #1576
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Surprisingly at the end of April I was at a comic convention in Calgary Alberta and ran into numerous pentaxians.
Comixers are always cutting-edge, natch.

05-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1577

Photos: Gallery
The only time I have seen a Pentax DSLR in the wild was at the Pentax booth at the Henrys Imaging Show last year. My guess is that yes, we are quite rare!
05-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1578
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surprisingly at the end of April I was at a comic convention in Calgary Alberta and ran into numerous pentaxians. Three k5s two with fa 77 mounted. Ten KR with one in red and another in white. Two Q's. And even a LX
Hmm, something must have drawn that many Pentaxians into a single event..
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #1579
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Hmm, something must have drawn that many Pentaxians into a single event..

Comics? No camera or tech product booths there.

05-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #1580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Monday and Tuesday this week I went to Magee Marsh to shoot migratory birds, it's a huge photography event.
Group photography, all shooting the same thing. That is something I could never enjoy. For me photography is singular pursuit, or maybe with one other person. Obviously to each their own. That's why I could never shoot antelope canyon or some of the other "signature" landscape shots. I'm too much of a contrarian. I'm the guy that would put a wide lens on and take a photo of the mass of photographers shooting at the landscape.
05-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #1581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Group photography, all shooting the same thing. That is something I could never enjoy. For me photography is singular pursuit, or maybe with one other person. Obviously to each their own. That's why I could never shoot antelope canyon or some of the other "signature" landscape shots. I'm too much of a contrarian. I'm the guy that would put a wide lens on and take a photo of the mass of photographers shooting at the landscape.
Me too! Oh, wait...
05-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #1582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not an organized event for photographers, although a few may be on tours, just a lot of people there with pretty much uniform goals. You're free to do as you please. But I know what you mean, I have quite a few pics of groups of photographers.

05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #1583
Veteran Member

Comics? No camera or tech product booths there.
Of course, but that's the point - either they all like comics or maybe they organized a meetup there. Pretty cool organization, either way. Comic conventions are nowadays also usually complemented with cosplays. Those are good subjects, if they're aiming for portraiture.

Group photography, all shooting the same thing. That is something I could never enjoy.
I think it's ok to shoot the same thing... What I don't enjoy is when everyone's shooting the same thing...from the same place,haha
05-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #1584
Veteran Member

Group Photography where everyone is wandering the same site trying to get their own shots I enjoy. I did that at a local railway museum and came away with some good shots. But trying to duplicate others photos is not my bag.
05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #1585
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I think it's ok to shoot the same thing... What I don't enjoy is when everyone's shooting the same thing...from the same place,haha
Some shots must sell even though there are a million other shots of the same thing already to choose from. At Canyonlands in Moab, Utah there is a particular arch or view that is famous for how spectacular it looks at sunrise. (I forget what it is exactly, too lazy to look it up.) Any clear day if you are at this particular spot at sunrise there are at least a dozen pros taking the same shot. Every day.
05-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #1586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Any clear day if you are at this particular spot at sunrise there are at least a dozen pros taking the same shot. Every day.
This is a classic case of a Photon Depletion Zone, where so many photos have been shot that the local photon level is seriously low. Other such sites are at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge; across the harbour from the Sydney Opera House; certain vantages of the Eiffel Tower, Mt Fuji, Giza Egypt, the Grand Canyon of the Colorado; much of NYC; and anywhere in the vicinities of Brangelina and any UK Royals.

Photon depletion raises serious environmental concerns. An anomaly would likely occur if photon levels become too imbalanced, and THEN where would we be?!?!? Deep trouble, for sure. I hate anomalies. The universe-birthing Big Bang was an anomaly. We don't need another of THOSE anytime soon, eh? Photographic conditions would be just awful.

How to deal with photon depletion? Whenever you see crowds of toggers peering in the same direction, walk the other way. Switch off your camera. Close your eyes. Capture as few photons as possible. The photosphere you save may be your own.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-15-2012 at 12:14 AM.
05-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #1587

Photos: Albums
What's rarer... spotting a Pentax, or a Leica M9?
05-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #1588
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
This is a classic case of a Photon Depletion Zone, where so many photos have been shot that the local photon level is seriously low. Other such sites are at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge; across the harbour from the Sydney Opera House; certain vantages of the Eiffel Tower, Mt Fuji, Giza Egypt, the Grand Canyon of the Colorado; much of NYC; and anywhere in the vicinities of Brangelina and any UK Royals.

Photon depletion raises serious environmental concerns. An anomaly would likely occur if photon levels become too imbalanced, and THEN where would we be?!?!? Deep trouble, for sure. I hate anomalies. The universe-birthing Big Bang was an anomaly. We don't need another of THOSE anytime soon, eh? Photographic conditions would be just awful.

How to deal with photon depletion? Whenever you see crowds of toggers peering in the same direction, walk the other way. Switch off your camera. Close your eyes. Capture as few photons as possible. The photosphere you save may be your own.
Well, an analogous statement might be made thus:

RioRico is a classic case of a Glass Depletion Zone, where so many lenses have been collected that the local lens availability is seriously low. Other such sites are anywhere in the vicinity of those who voted more than 200 at that "how many lenses you own" poll.

Glass depletion raises serious environmental concerns. An anomaly would likely occur if glass ownership levels became too imbalanced, and THEN where would we be? Deep trouble, for sure. (etc etc.)

How to deal with glass depletion? Whenever you see a flea market, or, god forbid, a used photo equipment store, walk the other way. Hide your wallet. Close your eyes. Lay hands on as few lenses as possible. The pocketbook you save might well be your own.

Just kidding, of course!
05-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
Well, an analogous statement might be made thus:

RioRico is a classic case of a Glass Depletion Zone, where so many lenses have been collected that the local lens availability is seriously low. Other such sites are anywhere in the vicinity of those who voted more than 200 at that "how many lenses you own" poll.

Glass depletion raises serious environmental concerns. An anomaly would likely occur if glass ownership levels became too imbalanced, and THEN where would we be? Deep trouble, for sure. (etc etc.)

How to deal with glass depletion? Whenever you see a flea market, or, god forbid, a used photo equipment store, walk the other way. Hide your wallet. Close your eyes. Lay hands on as few lenses as possible. The pocketbook you save might well be your own.

Just kidding, of course!

That there is some funny shit you two.
05-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #1590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
That there is some funny shit you two.
Of course, there *is* a tremendous imbalance in lens availability in my vicinity -- very few excess lenses can be found within 40 miles of me -- but that's because I live in a remote mountain forest, not because I've siphoned-up everything in sight. Not really. I swear it. Honest.