Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #1696
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
What I do not get is what the commercial itself wanted to show (except that Pentaxes are great).
Maybe that Pentax hired a funny-artsy advert agency?

06-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #1697
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Maybe that Pentax hired a funny-artsy advert agency?
it ties in with a whole series of ads they did at the time with the girl they cartooned in this ad. Hell it was the 60's lots of stuff from the time is echoed in the ads
06-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #1698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yeah, I got that, it's relevant to the other post. What I do not get is what the commercial itself wanted to show (except that Pentaxes are great).
It means that they were all on drugs, or wanted to look like they were on drugs, and that the Japanese are a strange and wonderful people.

Maybe they should have had Robert Conrad daring people to knock Pentaxs off his shoulder...
06-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually that ones point was just to get the product name out in a way that was memorable, something the clowns in charge of advertising now could learn from. While that one is classic and well liked, the series with the girl is much better and would really work well if done correctly today. Its more geared towards showing the adventures one has when wandering around with a camera and the socializing and new friends that go with it, something the megapixel morons forgot about a long time ago. They would have to pick a cute girl next door type though and not hannah montanna or it would be a total flop and miss the point.

Here is that for anyone that somehow hasn't seen it.
BTW hanging a Spotmatic from your rear-view mirror is an entirely inappropriate way to transport it for so many reasons.

06-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1700
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wonderful series! I really liked the car sequence. We car guys and gals of a certain age recognized the iconic Datsun Z car, the Mazda Cosmo, and the really rare Toyota GT. What a hoot! and the closing pic was most appropriate and humourous. But, please don't hang the Pentax from the rear-view mirror! Too hard to steady it for a shot.
06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1701
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At the risk of becoming pedantic (Pentaxic??), I think there is a bit of an inside joke in the animation as well. A number of Japanese words and phrases use onomatopoeia. For example, the phrase for "nervous" is "dokie-dokie," mimicking the sound of a pounding heartbeat. I think the use of "Pentax, Pentax" for all the sound effects is a jibe at that.

Or, I could be completely off base. :-)
06-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #1702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey I went to a group photo shoot and there was a red KX! Everything else I saw was Nikons, Canons, Point and Shoots, and cellphones. No Sonys or Olympus or Fuji (at least that I noticed.

06-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #1703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Hey I went to a group photo shoot and there was a red KX! Everything else I saw was Nikons, Canons, Point and Shoots, and cellphones. No Sonys or Olympus or Fuji (at least that I noticed.
Nice catch there! Colored K-x/K-r's are still easier to spot than the colored Canikon ones.
06-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #1704

Been in the Smoky mountains since wed,I have seen literally dozens of Canikons of type. Not one single Pentax. I have gotten some disconcerting looks when they lay eyes on my white KR. One teenage girl came up to me though and said i had the coolest camera she had ever seen. Maybe pentax should throw some advertising bucks toward that demographic. She had never even heard of pentax.
06-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #1705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zorak Quote
One teenage girl came up to me though and said i had the coolest camera she had ever seen. Maybe pentax should throw some advertising bucks toward that demographic. She had never even heard of pentax.
I think that's a no brainer, but then I've seen absolutely no Pentax advertising for anything else either.
06-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #1706
Inactive Account

I do not feel concerned at all, this makes me more excited when finding a new FP. Also, for these reasons, I have been able to buddy a few more FP's into my list. xP
Pretty much every FP I encounter was nice and kind, but of course, this is almost always when I am on my own FP. :O I never see one when I'm training my Evan or any other noob I have. xP
I dont find it that sad, as you can see, there are still many FP's out there, new being made every now and then, if you want to know more, just smega sometimes telling all the FP's to whisper/buddy you. xP Perhaps you'll feel more happy then.
When Jump draws near, we'll most likely encounter more and more FP's, of course, no one can say how many exactly, because more IL's and Bishops and especially Archers will be made. ;o So we'll see for ourselves how it'll turn out, personally, I dont think that much will change, in terms of population. xP But I do think that our Gameplay will be a lot more enjoyable, post-Jump
06-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #1707
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lebronjames316 Quote

I do not feel concerned at all, this makes me more excited when finding a new FP. Also, for these reasons, I have been able to buddy a few more FP's into my list. xP
Pretty much every FP I encounter was nice and kind, but of course, this is almost always when I am on my own FP. :O I never see one when I'm training my Evan or any other noob I have. xP
I dont find it that sad, as you can see, there are still many FP's out there, new being made every now and then, if you want to know more, just smega sometimes telling all the FP's to whisper/buddy you. xP Perhaps you'll feel more happy then.
When Jump draws near, we'll most likely encounter more and more FP's, of course, no one can say how many exactly, because more IL's and Bishops and especially Archers will be made. ;o So we'll see for ourselves how it'll turn out, personally, I dont think that much will change, in terms of population. xP But I do think that our Gameplay will be a lot more enjoyable, post-Jump
EXACTLY! You took the words out of my mouth...

06-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #1708
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
EXACTLY! You took the words out of my mouth...

Smokin' the same stuff, are you?
06-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #1709
Veteran Member

I may have planted a Pentax seed this past weekend. I was talking to someone at a party who used to be a film shooter. He really liked the idea of using old lenses with the benefit of shake reduction, and he's not a fan of autofocus.When is Pentax going to release the next entry-level body?
06-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #1710
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Timing Is Everything!

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
I may have planted a Pentax seed this past weekend. I was talking to someone at a party who used to be a film shooter. He really liked the idea of using old lenses with the benefit of shake reduction, and he's not a fan of autofocus.When is Pentax going to release the next entry-level body?
They are in luck! Check out this link. It sounds like a real kick butt "entry level" camera that is coming out!

Pentax K-30 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Regards,