Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #1771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually see one or two in the tourist areas here in So Cal, usually it is a European or Japanese tourist carrying one.

Earlier this month in Hollywood:

07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #1772
Veteran Member

Its amazing how many family-friendly locations will produce the fanciest Canikons with big fat lenses, no filters (they often don't know what one is). I once stood next to a parent shooting images of her child at the zoo. I was close enough to see the horrible fingerprints across the face of her lens as she placed the camera down on the table. I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but my general observation tells me that the typical Pentax user will usually show up in a configuration of 1 body, 1-2 lenses, non of them bulky. He/She would be shooting quietly, without the intention of drawing attention.

I believe we are a crowd that seeks the best value in our choice of equipment, and believe we own a product that sells itself.

Or am I mistaken?
07-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #1773
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We are definitely growing.
In my town, a year ago there is only one, me. Now there are five of us.
07-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #1774
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For people getting into shooting I highly recommend Kr's, K-30's and K-5's depending on how serious they want to get.. all are under $1000 for a great camera system.. but if they want to get into it and have an upgrade path to a FF, I recommend a D3200 or D7000.. I'd still take my old K-5 over a 5D Mark II.. maybe not a Mark III though.. It's frustrating, because I love my old Pentax system.. I use to happily be out with my K-5 and silver 43 LTD and big red Pentax strap, advertising showing off the goods all over town.. now that the ex-wife took it and I moved to a D800 (no Pentax FF! Petnax's loss) I would still happily throw a Pentax Strap on this bad boy. But my poor old K-5 collects more dust now days than it should. Just makes me sad

07-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #1775

may i recommend a solution to your problems in suggesting you hire a ninja to steal your pentax back not like she'd notice the ninja or a missing camera lol
07-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1776

We just added 3. I bought a K-r in 2011 to get back into photos after selling my film stuff 5 years before. I recently bought a K-r with the 2 kits for my neice and my nephew decided to buy the K-5.
FYI: I bought a Pentax because of the Primes and now own the 15, 21, 40 and 70.
07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #1777

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinSchenk Quote
Oh! I saw a man with a Pentax K-r today. I actually stopped him to say hi. He is the first person I have seen with a Pentax other than myself. This is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Although I must admit I was using my Fuji X100 recently and will be for most daily photography now, so I'm afraid the chance of seeing a Pentaxian here just went down by a lot.
Keep your hopes up! I'm in Edmonton as well and just got my hands on a K-x...dad and violin teacher out in BC have K10 / K-x respectively and I just convinced a friend of mine with an old Super ME that she needs to go Pentax for her photography class.

She was concerned that because Canon was "recommended" for her class that a Pentax DSLR wouldn't do. Sigh.

07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #1778
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SapitoFoto Quote
Keep your hopes up! I'm in Edmonton as well and just got my hands on a K-x...dad and violin teacher out in BC have K10 / K-x respectively and I just convinced a friend of mine with an old Super ME that she needs to go Pentax for her photography class.

She was concerned that because Canon was "recommended" for her class that a Pentax DSLR wouldn't do. Sigh.
Sounds like the teacher wants to give training on using Canon cameras, not education in photography. I suspect there will be a lot of go to this menu and ..., or the big button on the top right ...
07-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #1779
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I suspect there will be a lot of go to this menu and ..., or the big button on the top right ...
Indeed. Most "Photography for Beginners" workshops nowadays tend to be like that.
Somehow reading old books on photography teach me more (and I learn more) than more "workshops" out there these days.
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #1780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Teaching Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sounds like the teacher wants to give training on using Canon cameras, not education in photography. I suspect there will be a lot of go to this menu and ..., or the big button on the top right ...
Depending on the length of the course, sometimes this may be all there is time for. I teach a ten week course, from the ground up, and it does not matter which camera the student has. The student learns with the camera they have. Certainly it is easier for the "teacher" if everyone's camera is the same. It is also easier on the teacher if everyone grasped the concepts at the same speed and in the same way, but then, what would you need a teacher for? A common book would work just as well.

On the other hand, I also teach a one day course, so getting deep into the basics is real tough. You can only touch on them and get people shooting with more than the P mode hopefully. A good teacher will facilitate the learning and give the students the tools so they can keep learning AFTER the class is over. After all, aren't we all still learning?

In the ten week class, after the first class, I recommend all of the students bring their manuals to each class. It is the reference for their camera, and one they, and I, can refer to when necessary. Over the years I have seen most Canikons, but there are always a few different ones thrown in there. So far the most frustrating are the mirrorless, mostly because they tend to use the monitor screen to control everything, and this is REAL cumbersome. I really wonder sometimes if the software/firmware engineers actually spoke with photographers and users as they develop the user interface. Sometimes I really DO wonder as it is so kluggey.

Regards,
08-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #1781
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suspect that these "recommended" cameras are because the teacher doesn't actually know anything about any other, or is unable to work out the basics which ought to apply whichever camera you happen to own.

Dave, you are clearly a much better teacher than the one referenced earlier!
08-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #1782
Pentaxian

As an educator I recognise the value of both education and training for their particular purposes. I also observe that the less able people tend to look for training whilst the more able look for education.

Training courses are easier to justify, both in prospect and after the event, because it is clear what the learner will be able todo after that they could not before. But education enables the learner to develop an understanding of the field which enables them to advance their practice beyond what is taught, to create new specifics to go with the principles they learned.

But ask soemone after an education course what they learned and the answer will be more like: "the teacher stretched my mind", and after a training course: "look what I can do - see the value."

Reminds me of the quip from a cheap cloth salesperson: "never mind the quality, feel the width!"
08-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #1783
Veteran Member

Just seen the movie "Starbuck", there is a scene where a guy takes a kind of family group picture, and he uses a K-5. You can see the Pentax strap for at least 3 seconds
08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Just seen the movie "Starbuck", there is a scene where a guy takes a kind of family group picture, and he uses a K-5. You can see the Pentax strap for at least 3 seconds
Just watched "The Big Year". It's about birders. Lots of Nikons.
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #1785
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Just watched "The Big Year". It's about birders. Lots of Nikons.
I see Nikons and Canons all the time... I'm not sure that's worthy of note. Once stopping in the park I came across a couple shooting a moose or something, so I got out and snapped a few shots... the guy came over and asked me... "what are you shooting with?" I said Pentax... he looked a little puzzled and said "Is it full frame?" I said no... he looked at me and said... I shoot Nikon, she shoots Canon, you were supposed to break the tie" To which I replied "Well now you can be united because I hate you both.." and we all laughed.