Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1786
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I see Nikons and Canons all the time... I'm not sure that's worthy of note.
Well, it is movie filled with SLRs. Pretty sure someone paid for product placement in that one -- lots of shots of logo straps, etc. There may have been some visible Canons too, can't remember.

08-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #1787
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was pushbiking home over our scenic river when I spied a gaggle of old people milling about...
One was out on his own pointing some form of dslr at the view,
I had time to quip "hope you are bracketing " as I speed by, raising a wry grin .

The rest looked ripe for engagement so a quick Uturn and I was on them
Hello, a camera club are you ? I ventured...are you local ?
From Wellington was the chorused reply ...Going on the river boat soon and pleased about it all they were.
I wished them well and inquired if there were any Pentax users amongst them....
A low murmur indicated no, but one chap said he had started out with the blessed Asahi,
another apologetically lifted some Sony, poor chap totally outnumbered.

Oh well, I hope you see the light one day...got a laugh
Pity I hadn't the K-5 with me to taunt them with compact hehe

Pete
08-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #1788
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw a Pentaxian a few days ago on the way to Cime di Terrarossa. K-5 or K-7 with DA 18-135.
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #1789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dropped into Lowe's this morning to pick up a new thermostat for the HVAC. While waiting in line a staff member, probably in her late 40s saw my K-5 and said "Pentax! I love that camera. I had a big Pentax outfit back in the day, and my mother loaned it to her cousin and I never saw it again. I sure did love that Pentax." I'd guess she might have been talking about the K1000, but we didn't have time to chat.

08-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #1790

I just spent 3 straight days wandering the streets of NYC and Washington D.C. acting as a tour guide for some visiting family members, and was actively scanning peoples cameras and straps looking for any Pentax cameras (i wanted to get some firsthand feedback from them), and can say that i actually did not see a single Pentax camera out on the street. This was hours walking around Times Square, Union Square, Battery Park in NYC and all over the Mall in D.C....and not one Pentax that i saw.
08-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #1791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
I just spent 3 straight days wandering the streets of NYC and Washington D.C. acting as a tour guide for some visiting family members, and was actively scanning peoples cameras and straps looking for any Pentax cameras (i wanted to get some firsthand feedback from them), and can say that i actually did not see a single Pentax camera out on the street. This was hours walking around Times Square, Union Square, Battery Park in NYC and all over the Mall in D.C....and not one Pentax that i saw.
Guess I was not out shooting that day! I live in the DC area. We are out there, I do see people with Pentax, local and tourists. Although, no where near many as Canon or Nikon. But, it is always a good feeling when you spot a Pentax.
08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #1792
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
... actively scanning peoples cameras and straps looking for any Pentax cameras ...
I guess it is just me but in this case, you would probably never see me. That narrow, hard, uncomfortable strap is one of the first things I got rid of. Someone "strap-snooping" might assume I am shooting a SmugMug Pro DSLR.

08-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #1793
Veteran Member

I just spent two weeks at Disney World and Universal Studios, I saw a handful of Pentax Cameras, mostly K-5s, and a few K-x/rs, I have learned that Pentax's are easy to spot near water attractions and when it is raining, because they are the only ones out when it IS raining........ha ha, gotta luv em
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1794
Inactive Account

2 more festivals, no Pentax

I honestly don't know how Pentax stays in business. I once again attended 2 very large music festivals and saw not one Pentax. Plenty of pro level Canons and Nikons, maybe one Sony and one Fuji point and shoots, but not a single Pentax. Two years in a row--same result. I have concluded that we are really that rare and I can't figure out how Pentax stays in business. I really can't. I'm in the US, so I have to assume it's somewhat different in other parts of the world. True?
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #1795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
I'm in the US, so I have to assume it's somewhat different in other parts of the world. True?
Yup, I'm kinda still getting used to a global company that doesn't include the US economy myself, its a new concept.

I do wonder how regional Pentax is in the US, they seem to make more effort in some areas than others and the distribution of new Pentax shooters then tends to follow that.
08-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #1796
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
I have concluded that we are really that rare and I can't figure out how Pentax stays in business. I really can't. I'm in the US, so I have to assume it's somewhat different in other parts of the world. True?
There's quite a big increase in Pentax-wielding folks here in the Philippines (at least in Manila) since the release of the K-x. In major events, like concerts of international artists, conventions, and even trade fairs, I notice that I'm not alone anymore, at least two or three others with about one in ten lugging a K10D/K-7.
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #1797

I was at my rec soccer game on Sunday, and brought along my K-x and was snapping some fun sunset action shots. At half time:

group: "What kind of camera is that? Canon or Nikon?"

me, sighing: "No, Pentax"

teammate: "Oh I've never heard of them". Approaches to take a closer look. "It looks like my Canon, just without the zoom lens".

I have the white K-x and at the time had an M 200mm mounted so I'm really not sure what he was talking about.
08-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #1798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SapitoFoto Quote
I was at my rec soccer game on Sunday, and brought along my K-x and was snapping some fun sunset action shots. At half time:

group: "What kind of camera is that? Canon or Nikon?"

me, sighing: "No, Pentax"

teammate: "Oh I've never heard of them". Approaches to take a closer look. "It looks like my Canon, just without the zoom lens".

I have the white K-x and at the time had an M 200mm mounted so I'm really not sure what he was talking about.
If you really want to confuse folks, try shooting film.... "What did that shot look like?" "How many megapixels?" Etc.
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #1799

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
If you really want to confuse folks, try shooting film.... "What did that shot look like?" "How many megapixels?" Etc.
"Can I see that last photo?"

Yup. It's hard enough with primes. "Here let me take a picture. Hey, why didn't it focus?? How come I can't zoom??"
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #1800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sunning myself in Biarritz in the SW corner of France at the moment. It's tough but someone's got to do it. Went into St Jean De Luz yesterday, a pretty chic tourist destination. 5 Pentax within the first 9-10 camera's I saw.

Lost interest and felt a bit common after that.

Vive La France