Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #1951
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Went to Denmark with my family this summer on vacation. Spent a whole day in Legoland, and saw only Canons and Nikons, not even Sonys og Olympuses (Olympi?). Had a few other trips to a funfair and on the beach, but no Pentaxes to see.Not before we got back home to Bergen and went to the Aquarium there, I saw one bearded fellow with a K-5 or K-7. I'm not the type that approaches strangers, so I never got to talk to him, but like MSM states above, endangered species should perhaps not be disturbed.

I believe I can tell the exact spot were I saw him, though, so if someone ever makes a documentary about Pentax owners, I can imagine Sir Richard Attenborough standing in front of the camera saying: "And it was here, on this exact spot, that Asbjørn saw a man sporting what looked like a Pentax K-7 or a K-5!"
Interesting. I actually also saw my first pentax shooter this summer when I was on vacation in demark. It was a lady with a k-r. We talked a bit. But she was not so excited as I was to see another pentax user. I presumed she might have borrowed it from her husband or a friend. It was up north in Silkeborg.

11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #1952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been living in Israel since late August, traveling a lot, shooting lots of pictures, mixing with many others taking pictures with all kinds of gear. I have not yet seen one single Pentax user. Not a DSLR, not a P&S, nothing. That doesn't change the fact that my weather-sealed D30 or K5 with the WR DA 18-135 isn't a fabulous combination that has not let me down (except that my K30 "Okay" button stopped working). The odd thing of it is that I DO see Pentax gear in camera shops here in Jerusalem. Just not in use out in the field.

So I guess we are indeed a rare, select elite company of folks!
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #1953
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Interesting. I actually also saw my first pentax shooter this summer when I was on vacation in demark. It was a lady with a k-r. We talked a bit. But she was not so excited as I was to see another pentax user. I presumed she might have borrowed it from her husband or a friend. It was up north in Silkeborg.
My encounter actually was when I came back home to Norway (Bergen is in Norway, I forgot to point that out. Sorry ). In Denmark I didn't see a single Pentax, not even on Skagen, the very north tip of Denmark, which used to be a very popular place among norwegian painters back in the 19. century, because of the special light that occurs there. One could believe that the place would be swarming with people with pro and semi-pro gear, but most people were using compacts or mobile phones (me included , but to my defence, I was busy filming my kids with a camcorder, so taking my SLR with me would be a bit too much to handle).

Last edited by deus ursus; 11-13-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Correcting grammar
11-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #1954
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have just returned from 17 days in Tasmania (Australia). Shot about 2500 images of waterfalls, old buildings, convict era (19th century) ruins.
I saw one pentax (Kx). All the Japanese tourists had Cs and Ns - didn't even see any Sonys.

11-14-2012, 07:40 AM - 4 Likes   #1955
Veteran Member

You guys should come to Singapore and see how many Pentax shooters here:

If you look carefully, you can find one Nikon in there, and one NEX, one or two Ricoh, all the rest are Pentax
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #1956
Veteran Member

no we are not rare. But what is the word to describe rare than rare?
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1957
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
no we are not rare. But what is the word to describe rare than rare?
Rocking horse shit ?

11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #1958
Pentaxian

Extinct?
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #1959
Pentaxian

i think i see my avatar in that group pic!!
11-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #1960
Inactive Account

I went to a halloween show in my local city centre last month and saw 2 nikons, 3 canon and 5 pentax users. Its the forst time I have ever seen anything other than Nikon and canon locally.
11-21-2012, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #1961
Veteran Member

I was bumming around downtown Vancouver yesterday when I came across a little camera store tucked away in one of the smaller malls underneath a big hotel. The store had a camera bag on sale that I was interested in, so I spent some time trying it out. One of the workers came up to me, and we chatted for a bit. When I pulled out my K30 from my messenger bag to see how it fit in the camera bag, he saw it and said he was a fellow Pentax shooter! His main setup was a Pentax K-r, with a Tamron 18-250 for his lens (although he dropped the lens at some point and now it's only a Tamron 100-250 lens ).

We had a good chat about Pentax stuff. He showed me some of the Pentax accessories they had tucked away. I ended up getting a remote cable shutter release too. When I left, he gave me his business card and we shook hands. Upon checking the receipt when I got home, I was surprised to see that he had given me a further discount on the bag I bought, even though it was already on sale. I will attribute that to the "Pentax Connection".
11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #1962
Veteran Member

FWIW /p/hotography seems to have a pretty large amount of Pentaxians.
11-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1963

Last week I was in Barcelona, Spain for the whole week and only saw one Pentax walk by. It was a fast encounter I a didn't get to see what model it was. The owner was an asian male (probably late 20's early 30's). I also went to Andorra, and to my surprise I found a camera store that carried a few Pentax lens and the current bodies (and they were on display). They had a great deal on the DA* 16-50...he offer me to go down to 850 euros, but I already have one so I passed.
11-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #1964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
They had a great deal on the DA* 16-50...he offer me to go down to 850 euros, but I already have one so I passed.
Why are all the great deals only in EU and the US? lol =)) Come on Asia, drop 'em too!
12-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #1965
Veteran Member

Johor Bahru, Malaysia: One K-30 with flash and I guess a 18-135. Rest all Canikon, I think more Nikon than Canon. It was an event where people could come and dance agogo.

The K-30 is quite easy to spot. Stands out with that sharp flash thingy.

First night time shooting with my K-5 and it did great. Shot photos and video. Manually focusing while taking video works great with shallow DoF, with the 18-55 it is impossible.

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.