Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1996
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looks like a Z-series film cam to me, and what's that? FA600?

edit:

I stand corrected, it's an MZ-S :

Not an FA600. besides looking too long it has two big rubber rings and two peek-a-boo windows. the FA600 has the aperature adjust
ring right against the camera body and no window associated with it. It's a lens I don't think I've ever seen. I'm wondering if it's possibly
the FA250-600 zoom.

12-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #1997
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Yes rare very rare. All the other 3 makers are in much larger numbers than Pentax.
Not that this matters, but even one camera shop I went into said that they were basically wasting their time with the Pentax models, sell very few of them..high cost of lenses is putting people off too (thanks to Ricoh's dumb strategy)

The last person I saw with a Pentax was some student with a Pentax K1000
I don't expect the brand to be around for that much longer..or if it is just tiny tiny market share. Ricoh are doing a lousy job just as Hoya were.
I think Ricoh is doing a decent job, it's just a big mess that they took over from Hoya. Wasn't it Hoya that raised the prices?

The one shop in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, that sells Pentax is doing quite well. They also carry Nikon, Olympus and Sony, and tons of accessories up to jibs (no Canon, hehe), and it seems like their Pentax section is the most popular one. When I was there I always saw someone looking at a Pentax or fumbling around with one, the other brands not so much. Might just be because it is the only shop, so everyone interested in Pentax has to go there.

Yesterday I was at a dinner with no Pentax, except for mine. Mostly Canon, one Nikon. I think they were hired as photographers, most of them had a big flash. I didn't need one But 2 of the Canons were quite pretty (the photographers, not the cameras). Usually you do see one or two Pentax at events here, majority is Canikon though.
12-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #1998
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Not an FA600. besides looking too long it has two big rubber rings and two peek-a-boo windows. the FA600 has the aperature adjust
ring right against the camera body and no window associated with it. It's a lens I don't think I've ever seen. I'm wondering if it's possibly
the FA250-600 zoom.
It IS the 250-600. Check the reviews' pic.
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #1999
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looks like a Z-series film cam to me, and what's that? FA600?

edit:

I stand corrected, it's an MZ-S :
Hmm ... to me the camera on the pic in Mechan1k's post looks more like a Z-1 or something. Looks like he's got a plethora of Pentaxes. Nice to see a pro still shooting with film.

12-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #2000
Veteran Member

Seen at one of the entrances of the biggest shopping mall in the province of Quebec.

First time ever that I see Pentax advertising in this part of the country.

They link to a website that lacks the latest models of cameras they have. Not their finest website...
12-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #2001
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My sightings for the year were few but some of the highlights were:

I saw an old guy slinging not one but 2 K10D's at a historic race meeting. Both with sigma lenses.

I took my K-7 to a factory inauguration in the Philippines (i did a 2 year long project there) .
I was seated at the guest table with the boss of the nearby HOYA factory. He didn't even notice.
However , I know the project manager of the factory we built , a dutch guy, owns a K-7 and several primes including a DA70 and a DA*200

A friend of mine asked me what camera to buy.
I suggested a Oly Pen or a Pana GFsomething might suit him.
He ended up buying a white K-30 and is looking around for some more lenses.

After shooting for a whole week in the Outback with 25 Canikon types and 1 Sony shooter, on the plane on the way home I saw a full page ad for the K-30 in the regional airline in-flight magazine. My first ever ad sighting.

Last edited by steve1307; 12-30-2012 at 11:30 PM.
12-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #2002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Seen at one of the entrances of the biggest shopping mall in the province of Quebec.

First time ever that I see Pentax advertising in this part of the country.

They link to a website that lacks the latest models of cameras they have. Not their finest website...
No wonder they lack the latest models. That's a K10D pictured on that poster!

01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #2003
Veteran Member

Today I was shooting at the Penrith Whitewater Stadium (site of the 2000 Sydney Olympics events) and, lo and behold, a chap walked toward me with an *istDL. I tripped him up, wrestled him to the ground, and forced him to divulge what else he had. He also owned a K10D and a K-5.

I had my K-7 (DA*60-250), my *istD (Tokina 400mm f5.6), and my Q (8.5 f1.9).

His wife was very patient - I think she understood.
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #2004
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two Pentax surprises today... a tourist visiting my work location (in south Florida) with a white K-x (I spotted it yards away, confirmed when he stepped forward and I saw the red Pentax logo on the strap). I tried to engage him in a little conversation but he seemed extremely shy, or perhaps not comfortable speaking English. But he smiled and seemed proud of the camera.

And the "winter classes" booklet from the botanic garden: in the description for the "advanced DSLR techniques" class: "The class will focus on cameras made by Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and Leica." In the past they have not mentioned Pentax in describing this class, which is offered two or three times a year. Maybe it's time to sign up for it...

Last edited by OrchidJulie; 01-03-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo, sorry
01-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #2005
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Today I was shooting at the Penrith Whitewater Stadium (site of the 2000 Sydney Olympics events) and, lo and behold, a chap walked toward me with an *istDL. I tripped him up, wrestled him to the ground, and forced him to divulge what else he had. He also owned a K10D and a K-5.

I had my K-7 (DA*60-250), my *istD (Tokina 400mm f5.6), and my Q (8.5 f1.9).

His wife was very patient - I think she understood.
Another Western Sydney Pentaxian ... woo hoo.
01-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2006

I saw a mother with her children making a gingerbread house a couple weeks before Xmas in the St Louis area. Only 2nd other Pentax I've seen in this area. I noticed the camera strap right away and then saw she had the same stromtrooper white Kx that I had.
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #2007
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I plan to buy from them if I can get a bargain just to support the shop for giving me a wonderful day yesterday. I also know where to go if there is ever a new model of Pentax.
But you've kept the location a secret - even to the point of not telling in which country this shop is located!
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #2008
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matt21484 Quote
I noticed the camera strap right away and then saw she had the same stromtrooper white Kx that I had.
Aha! You're also a Suzuki V-Strom rider from the Stromtrooper forum like me! Mine's red.
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #2009

So far, the only other Pentax I've seen is my nephew's K-x that I helped buy right here from the used gear forum. But on the up side, nobody around has enough knowledge to ask "why Pentax?" The folks I am around are mostly cell phone photographers and wouldn't care one way or the other. Sigh.
01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #2010

When I bought my first DSLR (K10D) about 9 years ago, I chose Pentax because the film/photography guy at the hospital I worked at told me that he liked Pentax, and that I should look at them. I don't believe he shoots with one, but he was telling me how they basically invented the SLR camera. So, I started looking at them, read about the weather sealed bodies, Shake Reduction built into the camera, etc, etc and I was sold. But after a while, I realized I had back-focus issues. So, when I found out that the K20D had a way to fix this in the menu, I upgraded and sold the K10D. Then, about three weeks ago, I upgraded again to a K-5 IIs.

I have only seen two other Pentax shooters in all of my travels since I've been paying attention. Whenever I get talking to someone about their DSLR, I proudly show my Pentax, and when they ask why, I point out the weather sealing, built in SR, and overall build quality for the price. I also point out that it is compatible with every Pentax lens ever made. Ever. They usually try it out, and ooooh and ahhh over the build quality, and they openly wonder why Canon doesn't build in the Shake Reduction into the body. My sister-in-law is a Canon shooter (just upgraded from a Rebel to a 7D), and she has always commented about how she likes the feel of my Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by azcavalier; 01-07-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Spelling