Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #2011

I had never seen any Pentaxians in my life, never until I got into college. Never until I got into my second year (which is now :P).

I saw that other Pentaxian at my college campus back then. He was a metallurgy major kid, the same year with me (second year). He was filming a video with a Pentax K-r and a manual lens (I don't know what lens it was). I was merely peering him from afar, not even daring to ask or starting a conversation. I was just peering.

And shortly after I was inaugurated as my major's student union member, my student union held an event. I was taking my K10D, and then one of my friends looked at it and said "It's a rarity to see people shooting with a Pentax DSLR".

Well, there you go. I think you can see how lonely I am as a Pentaxian. Everywhere I peer during some events (or peering on huge crowd brandishing some DSLRs), all I see is people carrying Canikons/Sony. While then there are other rare DSLR, it happens to be an Olympus. Sometimes it just gets me to sadness when thinking how lonely I am as a Pentaxian .

01-07-2013, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2012
Inactive Account

I was the only one with a Pentax....

at a photography class this weekend. The teacher said she had never had a student with a Pentax camera before.....It was about how to shoot in manual mode-she seemed surprised that I could set the white balance in Kelvin and that I could keep up with the other Canikon users with no "real" instructions geared towards my camera...Needless to say I was a tiny bit proud that I was the lone Pentaxian in the group.

I've got the Optio WG-2 along with my K-5...I haven't seen one of them in the wild either....I got the Optio before the K-5.

Gnewport
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #2013
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last year I did a local basic photography course. The only Pentaxes were the instructor's (K-7) and mine (K100D).
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #2014

I saw a few during new years eve

01-11-2013, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #2015
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Today I went to alocal secondhand camera shop. Most of their stock is secondhand but they also do sell new stuff. I asked the salesman if he could tempt me with any old Pentax lenses (m42). Seems he has a good collection of them at his house, personal possessions, but only one in the shop, and he likes them. He says there are plenty around but that at the moment no-one is selling them. That is consistent with the trend I have noticed on eBay from mid last year - there are much smaller numbers being offered for sale.
01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #2016
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Today I went to alocal secondhand camera shop. Most of their stock is secondhand but they also do sell new stuff. I asked the salesman if he could tempt me with any old Pentax lenses (m42). Seems he has a good collection of them at his house, personal possessions, but only one in the shop, and he likes them. He says there are plenty around but that at the moment no-one is selling them. That is consistent with the trend I have noticed on eBay from mid last year - there are much smaller numbers being offered for sale.
It could be the bad economy created a bulge of old stuff hitting the market as people starting rummaging through their closets and seeing what their grandpa had in storage, etc. But there is only so much of that. Still, there are probably more old lenses in circulation now than 5 years ago...
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #2017

we always were a rarer breed...

I remember one canoe trip in the 80's and I took out my black Program +. One guy said "whoah, is that pro gear? Never heard of Pentax!" Or I usually get the older people say "I had a SpotMatic - damn good camera" if I bring it out now, or from kids "where's the LCD Screen?

My bro-in-law has a K1000 and will not go digital at all. In his 30's he went for a trip to Nepal and he heard that electronic cameras won't work at altitude - this was still the film era and he found he got shots when the all singing, all dancing digital film cameras of the era would refuse to work (he made base camp of Everest) When the weather got rainy, he put it in a bag originally containing a loaf of bread and fastened it on by unscrewing the UV filter - Old school Weather Resistant Pentax!

My mentor of sorts (friend's dad) happened to have a Super Program, and that was a good talking point when there were awkward pauses.

Maybe I live in a pocket area where there was a lot of Pentax users (Vancouver area). Not sure about the digital era though.

01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #2018

Photos: Albums
At the big First Nations rally in Ottawa today (10,000 Voices Will Not Be Silenced), I saw a white Pentax (K-x?). I only saw the white body and red SR badge as someone had it tilted 90 degrees for a portrait shot as I walked by. Otherwise, all the "pros" had Canon and Nikons. (As an aside, some of the so-called pros come across as really mercenary vultures. Someone at the lead of the march is the midst of a hunger strike and was having trouble marching and some of the press people would not give space or keep a respectful distance. Ugh.) Anyhow, I actually had my K-5, K-01 and Q there, so out of about 5,000 people, there were at least 4 Pentaxes.
01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2019
Veteran Member

Spotted a Pentax. Pictures of the day: 17 January 2013 - Telegraph
01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #2020
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Was it #3, the girl with the Pentax tattooed on her arm? or was it #2, with the pigs flying ?
01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #2021
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was in a used camera store for a pouch and filter case (total of $3.00) and I overheard the salesman on the phone saying Canon and Nikon were the only brands to consider...
01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #2022

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
were the only brands to consider...
Boo! Hissss!
01-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #2023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I overheard the salesman on the phone saying Canon and Nikon were the only brands to consider...
I wonder how much they pay these guys to really do those shameless plugs... =))
01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #2024

Is it still a shameless plug if the camera shop doesn't have any Pentax gear in stock? Hunts Photo and Video (again, one of the largest chains in the North East) doesn't even have the K 5II or K 5IIs in stock. Not even on their web site. It' hard to recommend something they don't sell.

Some of these people work on commission, and they can only make money on what they can sell right now.
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #2025
Veteran Member

It's nice to be different isn't it!