Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #2041

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
yes we are and that is because of Pentax marketing strategy not because of the actual products
I think that has a lot to do with it now. Nikon and Canon shove their products in our face so we can't see any other brands. I went to the camera shop to get a feel for and compare brands when I was looking. Talked to the owner of the store. He said back in the 70s he use to only shoot with Pentax they were the big name back then. Then Canon and Nikon took over and Pentax fell way behind. Pentax users started switching over because Pentax was not keeping up with the trends I guess. When I talk to camera people they all talk about how great pentax was back in the day.

I think we will see a switch back to Pentax if they keep doing what they are doing. I think Pentax users are rare in the USA. Other parts of the world there seems to be more Pentax users. I think Pentax will make a come back.

02-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #2042

Photos: Albums
Nearly everybody I know is canikony but I do know one other Pentax shooter and he is the chair of my daughters footy team. We would be the only two at football matches shooting dslrs so then there was a 100% Pentax turn out. I actually like to be different though, my music tastes etc tend to be a bit left field, I support my local non-league football team and that carries on in other aspects of my life.
02-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #2043
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few weeks back we were in the local "pro" camera store here, which sells only Canikon and Sony (maybe Olympus? not sure). Picked up a few aftermarket odds and ends and the store guy put them in a bright yellow Nikon bag.

I joked, "hey, is my stuff gonna be OK in that yellow bag?"

He said, "oh, what do you shoot, then? Canon?"

"No, Pentax."

He gave me a little secret smile (so the boss didn't see, I think) and said, "Ah, Pentax, yeah, I used to have Pentax gear years ago...great cameras..."
02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #2044
Forum Member

unfortunately, I think that is true.

many ppl even never heard of pentax....

02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #2045

I'm about to sell my new Pentax Q to a friend that saw it and fell in love with it. So that's one more pentanxian around here. I'm also trying to steer another friend from buying a T3i in favor of a K30. Hopefully!
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2046

Most shooters are canikons, most of them have no idea what an SLR is even if they have one, most of them don't know anything about the non-kit lenses out there, but just picked up a trendy dslr from a local camera shop or big-box based on recs from somebody else who is influenced by the ads and whatnot whether that be a salesman or other trendy shooter buddy. Those folks don't seem to know what a Pentax is and if they should have one or not.

Of the folks that are in the advanced hobbyist and upward crowd, several of them seem surprised that Pentax isn't extinct.

I can't fault anyone... Canikons do make good cameras I'm sure, and for a average or less hobbyist the marketing hype is about all you can go on. No everyone wants to read camera forums to figure out what camera, which lens, etc. Kudos to us if that makes us happy. Kudos to them if they're shooting pics with another brand and enjoying it. I chose Pentax because it is indeed a little oddball, and because I bought into the "uses every pentax lens ever made" idea. It's nice being able to buy old and [relatively] cheap good glass and just pop it on like a new one. I think newer/better cameras and lenses are coming out at a faster rate from Pentax lately, which hopefully will bring in some market share so they can afford to develop even more/better new lenses, etc. Although at this rate I'm using mostly old glass so what do I care if they never make another pentax anything? Just kidding... sorta.

That's my 4 cents.
02-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #2047
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Another class of mine started this week. 16 students and only one Pentax (K7, mine!). Everything else were Canikons! One more class starts next week, stay tuned!
Alas, second class, 15 students, still only one Pentax, my K7. All the rest Canikons!

What do THEY know. This is why they take the class! It's a shame I get them just a little late!

Regards,

02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #2048
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
I actually like to be different though, my music tastes etc tend to be a bit left field, I support my local non-league football team and that carries on in other aspects of my life.
I was thinking about starting a thread about this very subject. I find myself liking random things that are a bit 'oddball'. I don't do it because I like to be different, I just like what I like. I love cars and tend to be attracted to random ones. Heck, I have and still use a Zune... fantastic platform and was just better than iTunes. The list is long, but as the local brew's slogan goes, "Don't float the mainstream".
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #2049

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I was thinking about starting a thread about this very subject. I find myself liking random things that are a bit 'oddball'. I don't do it because I like to be different, I just like what I like. I love cars and tend to be attracted to random ones. Heck, I have and still use a Zune... fantastic platform and was just better than iTunes. The list is long, but as the local brew's slogan goes, "Don't float the mainstream".
Yes, I suppose I phrased that wrong. I am naturally different. I like different things because I like different things and what I meant is that I like and am happy being that way.
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #2050
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am taking a photo course at a local Institute starting later this month. It will cover creative landscapes, so I'm thinking of starting with a S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 just to watch the reaction of the other students. Then in a later session, I'll remove the Tak and the adapter (!) and then mount the DA 15mm Ltd. HehHeh.

I'm not expecting to see many Pentax users.
02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2051
Veteran Member

Kids today are weird. Those who are asking me for recommendations on getting a DSLR complain about the size, weight and bulk of Canikon models, but when I show them my K-x, they say "that's cool..." then shy away. Ah, brand consciousness through social engineering....
02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #2052

Well, I actually ran into two fellow Pentaxians recently at an event in Toronto. And not just any Pentaxians, but Q owners -- that seems another order of magnitude more rare than a Pentax DSLR I'd say. It was at an outdoor event with few thousand people milling about. One person tells me how he's got a C-mount adapter for his Q as we walk by one another. Second person stops to ask a question about how I'm using the intervalometer. Neither had their cameras on them though.
02-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #2053
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just this week, a good friend of mine -- Nikon-shooting professional -- told me that, in researching a replacement P&S for his wife, they were seriously looking at a Q. He has handled my Kr and gave me positive feedback. Don't think he'll be dumping the Nikon kit any time soon, but I encouraged him to come over here and do his research for the Q.
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #2054
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A while back I was out shooting with one of my Canon buddies, in the middle of the shoot his camera and a major malfunction when he went to replace his CF card (6 pins pulled out with the card and that was if for the camera). I had my K20d backup body with me, so I loaned him that along with my Pentax 16-50mm lens. We spend the rest of they day shooting and all was well. He called me that night and said he was really impressed with the quality of the images from the K20d. He has since purchased a K5ii and is really happy with his switch of brands. Plus, he as LBA, and can now afford to feed that habit with lots of used glass. There is still hope for us Pentax folks, once converstion at a time.
02-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #2055
Veteran Member

The answer to the original question is still "yes," we are that rare.

Since joining the forum 5 years ago, I have encountered exactly 3 other Pentax SLR shooters other than through the forum. One was the person engaged to shoot an awards event, at which I was the volunteer backup in 2009 as well as a recipient. Both of us were there with a K20d. Only my shots ended up used. I also never saw a shot of my award. I don't know what that was about.

A second was in the courtyard area of the Cordoba Mezquita–catedral de Córdoba in 2010 around the neck of an Asian tourist. We had no common language other than to wave our cameras and smile.

The last was a friend who brought out and showed me an older, plastic film model after seeing my kit. She tried to resurrect it, but ended up with a Nikon P&S.

I teach a course in photography for property managers (mostly shots used in court). The vast majority of the class is younger and looks at my collection of Pentax cameras as though they were seeing something very exotic. The most often received question I get is not about the course but why I use a Pentax instead of a "name" brand. My answer is usually that I like it, but I am not the maverick I appear. When I picked that system, I was picking the most popular SLR in the world.