Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #2116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw a man with a white K-r(x) and matching kit lens in the Hapsburg Mausoleum yesterday.

04-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #2117

Photos: Albums
Happy to inform you: out of a class of about thirty people, about eight are Pentax owners. I'm one of only three Nikon owners and one of the others dropped the class. The only group we out number 2:1 is Olympus. When the class ends at the beginning of June, I'll be retiring the FM2n and going all out with the K-30 I'm waiting on. Since I'll be investing in Pentax glass, it's Pentax from here on out. Also it's awful to admit that before I even shot my first roll, I asked a classmate what made him get a Pentax. But after a lot of careful research, I've pretty much forgotten about that D5200 I was dead set on getting.
04-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #2118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Saw a man with a white K-r(x) and matching kit lens in the Hapsburg Mausoleum yesterday.
My parents saw a guy with a white Pentax yesterday (12. 4.) on the Rilke path.

04-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #2119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 53bicycles Quote
just missed out on a 28/2 but someone had drove down from Jackson hole (~8 hours) to get it.
I guess I should just strike that lens from my want list unless I'm willing to pay Pharoah's-son to Kevin.

04-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #2120
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Got my friend to ditch his T4i for a K-5
Not too hard to do if the friend has the funds. I have had more than one person remark, after handling my K10D, that their consumer-level Canon was a toy.

Steve
04-14-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #2121
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I saw a K30 (blue) in the tulip fields yesterday. The camera belonged to a budding and pretty talented young 4H photographer.

Steve
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not too hard to do if the friend has the funds. I have had more than one person remark, after handling my K10D, that their consumer-level Canon was a toy.

Steve
No argument here.......
I don't own a k-5. I own a K-30

While the lenses on Canon are very nice. The body's are somewhat...............Odd

Now if I can convince my Sister in law Sister to switch................That would be a bloody miracle.......

04-16-2013, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today, my sister (one of them) tells me that she has this wonderful picture of our niece ( one of them) that is simply "out of this world" .... why? Because the mom who took the pic has this very high tech, professional camera: a Nikon D60 that renders spendid images.

The photo: "right in your face" portrait shot taken with what seems to be a wide angle lens, rendering indeed such exageration of the little niece's nose that I almost fell on the floor! Eyes OOF and white balance not quite the "normal" skin tones.

"Not bad" I say ... not to hurt their feelings. "But I would have backed up a bit though" .
"Why so?" the sister asks. "Because [the niece - her name] doesn't have such a large nose and this is quite obvious that you don't come inches away from someone's face with such a lens." I add.
"It's a Nikon !!" my sister says. "They take the best pictures" ... "Sure"
((more nonsense little talk goes on for a while))
"Are you going to be the designated photographer at mom's 90th birthday?", she further asks.
"I only have a Pentax, you know. Maybe a Nikon would be better; why don't you ask [niece's mom]?"
"Oh .... I thought you had a Nikon too!"

The last part of the story will remain untold as the Pentax owner did not want to be censored here.

So ... mom's 90th BD will be well covered with a Pentax K5 and K7 and, guess what: they'll all be asking for pics!

End of rant/participation to this thread.

Cheers!

JP
04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #2124

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Today, my sister (one of them) tells me that she has this wonderful picture of our niece ( one of them) that is simply "out of this world" .... why? Because the mom who took the pic has this very high tech, professional camera: a Nikon D60 that renders spendid images.

The photo: "right in your face" portrait shot taken with what seems to be a wide angle lens, rendering indeed such exageration of the little niece's nose that I almost fell on the floor! Eyes OOF and white balance not quite the "normal" skin tones.

"Not bad" I say ... not to hurt their feelings. "But I would have backed up a bit though" .
"Why so?" the sister asks. "Because [the niece - her name] doesn't have such a large nose and this is quite obvious that you don't come inches away from someone's face with such a lens." I add.
"It's a Nikon !!" my sister says. "They take the best pictures" ... "Sure"
((more nonsense little talk goes on for a while))
"Are you going to be the designated photographer at mom's 90th birthday?", she further asks.
"I only have a Pentax, you know. Maybe a Nikon would be better; why don't you ask [niece's mom]?"
"Oh .... I thought you had a Nikon too!"

The last part of the story will remain untold as the Pentax owner did not want to be censored here.

So ... mom's 90th BD will be well covered with a Pentax K5 and K7 and, guess what: they'll all be asking for pics!

End of rant/participation to this thread.

Cheers!

JP
Ugh, one thing that really irks me is when people think it's the camera, of any brand, that takes good photos!. Even on P or A, it has it's limitations. What I see often is more composition-type errors (like mentioned above) than exposure, because, for the most part, the modern camera can get it right.

B
04-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #2125
Pentaxian

Yesterday I went driving to a town I had not visited for 30 years. A strange behaviour induced by the tax code (it is complicated, don't ask don't tell, Australians will understand).

I was using my K100DS with SMCTak attached. An older man saw me and started talking. When he retired he got a DSLR and a couple of lenses - Pentax. It replaced his Ccanon FD system, which had all his investment obsoleted by the change of mount.
04-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #2126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
... An older man saw me and started talking. When he retired he got a DSLR and a couple of lenses - Pentax. It replaced his Canon FD system, which had all his investment obsoleted by the change of mount.
Wow! You could be talking about me. It wasn't me - haven't been to Oz in several years and I have more than "a couple of lenses" but the rest is me to a T, right down to the Canon F1 with a nice suite of lenses that become obsolete when big C switched to EOS.

Last edited by abmj; 04-21-2013 at 08:32 AM.
04-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #2127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Ugh, one thing that really irks me is when people think it's the camera, of any brand, that takes good photos!.
Hear, hear! My number one irritant. I have even had one of my best friends, who was obviously trying to be nice, rave about some of my recent images and actually say "it is just so great how the modern cameras can get such wonderful photos." I love the lady to death but had to change the subject to avoid saying something inappropriate.
04-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #2128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Yesterday I went driving to a town I had not visited for 30 years. A strange behaviour induced by the tax code (it is complicated, don't ask don't tell, Australians will understand).
Need to put some extra miles on the company car? Hope you filled in those log books.
Still....., its an excuse for a weekend drive in the country.

Went shooting today with my local group.

I'm the only Pentax user. Generated a bit of interest playing with a new toy (Q-K mount adapter) with DA*300.

Michael: " Oh wow. that's cool......Hey I got a Canon EOS-M mirrorless recently. Can I get a converter to do that?"
Me: " Err ... no...... you can't"

Last edited by steve1307; 04-21-2013 at 02:39 AM.
04-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #2129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Need to put some extra miles on the company car? Hope you filled in those log books.
Still....., its an excuse for a weekend drive in the country.
That car was on an old style lease contract, before the Green's got the FBT changed. It is coming to end of lease so I had to get 2000km between 1/4 and the end of the week. And the numbers must be on the odo, no log books needed.

I remember when I got it I drove out of the dealer with the radio on, and the news, which was new to me at the time, even late in the afternoon, was about a now famous raid of certain US troops on an address in Pakistan.

And another place I stopped on the way, to get pictures of some farmer's field and the barbed wire fence presented a problem: so many flies. I felt weighed down by them, just like the golfer in the ad about 1970: "dyaaveagoodweekend" or something like that.
04-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #2130

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Hear, hear! My number one irritant. I have even had one of my best friends, who was obviously trying to be nice, rave about some of my recent images and actually say "it is just so great how the modern cameras can get such wonderful photos." I love the lady to death but had to change the subject to avoid saying something inappropriate.
Yes, most of the people that know me, will not say "it's the camera" or something similar. Usually when in mixed company (as in those that know my feeling on it, and those that don't), my first indication at an "it's the camera"-type comment is a raised eyebrow, and yes, obviously a topic change is a good idea. What I also usually will bring up, is a story I heard once where they took a bunch of pros and gave them cellphone cameras, and they still produced stunning images.

B