Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #2251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pat_H Quote
I just posted a new thread on this, before I saw this one, but yes, we're rare. And I don't really get it.

I have loved Pentax since the 35mm film days and my DSLR Pentax takes great photos. I couldn't expect more out of a DSLR. But my Pentax is the only one I ever see.

Recently I was in Maui and saw a lot of DSLRs, but not one other Pentax. Not one. I just don't get it.

Advertising..... Nuff said

06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #2252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
We may be rare in the general sense, but my nephew told me this afternoon that a game show recently gave away a Pentax camera system with a two year photography course as a prize. He mentioned it when he saw me taking a few photos with my Kx. He said the total package was valued at around $4,000. Maybe a little product placement and prizes will help get the word out there, that "Pentax is a great camera!"
06-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #2253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote

This is how you do it...

I mean... presented by Nikon. The colors (yes, Nikon yellow). Using the I AM NIKON tagline for the challenge. Having to use Nikon gear. I think they've used every opportunity short of placing a Nikon logo as an overlay somewhere to remind you of the brand and how great it is...
06-30-2013, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Was recently on a quick swing out west. Only had time to shoot about 300 photos. Could have done several times that if we could have slowed down a bit. I only saw one other Pentax camera. This was at Yellowstone and it was a Spotmatic. Talked to the owner a bit. I still think my Spotmatic II is the best camera that I have ever owned.

I have been in photography for some 45 years now. In fact my degree is in "Photographic Science and Instrumentation" (Think the physics, optics and chemistry behind what happens when you push the shutter release and then process the film) from Rochester Institute of Technology. Hurray for Gurney and Mott!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as I have been taking photographs, Pentax has been the poor stepchild of the business. Always saw more Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Mirandas than Pentax cameras. Leica was rare too, but that was based more on cost. BTW, I'd love to have an old Leica M3 and a few lenses. Never had anyone put down my Pentax though. They have a good reputation among those in the know, but they just aren't as popular.

In the end after pondering this issue for quite some time, I have come to the conclusion that we are a rare breed for a simple reason. Excellence is a rare quality. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

07-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #2255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw another Pentaxian in the wild

I was out getting some photos for an online course assignment recently and saw a lady taking photos in the same area as me. I approached her and asked what she was shooting with and she replied, "A Pentax, K30." Of course I had to inquire how she liked it and all, plus I had to express my appreciation of Pentax in general and that I use a K-x. She has only had her K30 about a month, loves it, and it is her first DSLR (or even SLR). She is visiting my area from Ottawa, Canada, with friends from the Buffalo, NY, area. One thing she likes best about the K30 is the weather resistance as she is a kayaker. Then I had to tell her I would write on this forum about meeting her.
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #2256

i think we are. in my 5 years of photography experience i just saw 1 guy using Pentax because he saw me taking photo with Mamiya 635. i believe he was using ME or KX ( film one ).
07-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #2257
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Never had anyone put down my Pentax though.
That is my experience as well. I was shooting 4th of July events today with the K10D and a few vintage lenses attached and noticed a couple of people staring at my camera. When I am shooting the KX (film) or Spotmatic, people regularly approach me to tell me about their Pentax camera from way-back-when or to express what a fine tool the camera is.

Steve

07-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #2258
Veteran Member

Interesting enough, I went to the Winter Magic Festival in the Blue Mountains the other weekend, and I saw quite a few Pentax DSLRs, at least 2 K-5/K-7 type bodies, 2 K100D/K200D type bodies and a young guys using a white K-30,
07-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #2259

Wish the Pentax brand were better marketed, but then, again, as pointed out, the price would go up! In any event, I was in Best Buy with my family the other day, and was checking out the canikons and a Sony DSLR on display--my k-7 is still built like and feels like a tank compared to those.... Even my old k100ds, as inexpensive as it was when I bought it used, seems better built. I'll take my Pentax regardless of what anyone says! Back in the film days, Pentax wasn't so rare, and though still not as highly thought of as other brands, their users swore by them, as do we today!
07-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #2260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Wish the Pentax brand were better marketed
I think things are changing somewhat, at least in the UK. I have noticed that recent copies of Amateur Photographer magazine have contained a lot of advertisements from large retailers headlining Pentax, particularly the K-5 and K-50. Not so long ago, you had to look pretty hard to find any mention of Pentax in the listings.
07-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2261

When I got my K5 on boxing day a couple years ago, there was another customer buying one at the exact time and we paid at the register around the same time. That's the last Pentax owner Ive seen.
07-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #2262
Veteran Member

For the past two weeks I've been going to the hospital twice a day to visit my wife and, until yesterday, had not noticed this poster in the noticeboard in the lift lobby of the ward she's in.

Last edited by p38arover; 07-06-2013 at 05:14 PM.
07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #2263
Forum Member

I went to the Cleveland Tall Ships' Festival today with my wife and I saw two Pentax users there. The first was a young woman with a red Kx or Kr and the second was a man with a *ist D. My biggest surprize was seeing a film shooter, an older man with a Cannon SLR. I had a good chuckle when a saw someone filming, a local highschool drum band, with a tablet.

I was using my K-01 and my M 28/2.8, they worked great for the day.

Rick
07-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #2264

Took our k100ds to a family picnic on Saturday (my k-7 is the camera I use for my business, so that doesn't leave home!), and have taken just a quick look at the shots--but they look fabulous! Some of my relatives have posted photos they took, and so far, if I do say so myself, mine look better. But, then, of course, nobody else there was shooting with a DSLR, at least from what I saw while I was there.
07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #2265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, we ARE rare! Spent some time in central Florida last week. One day at the Kennedy Space Center, one at the Magic Kingdom (on the 4th of July, last time I go to the park, ESPECIALLY on the 4th of July, TOO MANY PEOPLE!) and one day at Sea World. I saw many Canikons, many P&S, but only one Pentax, my K-01!

It's nice being unique, but it is lonely out here!