Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #2281

Photos: Albums
I wouldnt know of pentax if my friend diddnt get given a ist*D for christmas from his uncle (lucky bugger) now im getting a k5II for this christmas! Ps im sure he will be silently jelous hehehe

07-18-2013, 09:08 AM - 3 Likes   #2282

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a friendly match of a local team against the Fulham, a friend and I were the only two Pentax. Can you spot him? Easy...no umbrella!
07-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #2283
Veteran Member

That looks so funny.

Anyway I thought these procameras are weather sealed.
07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #2284

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
That looks so funny.

Anyway I thought these procameras are weather sealed.
procamera and lens are weather sealed but is too expensive for shooting under wet weather...
really interesting on WR technology on mid range body

07-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #2285
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
On a friendly match of a local team against the Fulham, a friend and I were the only two Pentax. Can you spot him? Easy...no umbrella!
Cool
07-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #2286

Most of my photographer friends (except for the ones from PentaxForums) use Nikon, Sony or mainly Canon. Here in Sydney, when you go into Photography shops, the first choices you will get are Canon or Nikon as they are advertised more.

I myself was thinking of buying a Canon or Nikon last year when I was moving up from a Pentax SLR camera but I stuck with Pentax because of their backwards compatibility with older lenses, Image quality and cheap price.

I do think we are rare but we still are getting a great line of products and most importantly the great community we have here really makes us special.
07-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #2287
Veteran Member

Recently I went to a gathering where I was taking pictures with my blue K30.
On the second day of the gathering a saw a girl with a canon and was just talking with her and if she has gotten any good pictures. And that if I could see her pictures.
I just wanted to see her photography style. Nothing about which camera is better. Wasnt even carrying my camera then.

Anyway whilst going through the pictures I saw a blue camera is somebodies hand. No face. I was a little bit surprised.
So I asked her, "Is that me". She said yes, and that she thought my camera looked really nice.

I felt like Chris Rock who went on a safari shooting animals in South Africa and saw that other people were shooting him.

Its nice to own a pentax

07-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #2288
Veteran Member

I sent that picture out to our camera club members (I'm the webmaster) and asked the same question.

I got a cheeky reply with an arrow pointing to someone in the grandstand.

(The club president and I are the only Pentax users.)
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #2289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I felt like Chris Rock who went on a safari shooting animals in South Africa and saw that other people were shooting him.
I have not yet seen a Pentax user......But? The Canon and Nikon people always want to try my Camera out.......Go fig
07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #2290
Veteran Member

Had that happen to me a few times
07-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #2291

I only have one photography friend [truly sad] and I feel like I betrayed him a little. He wanted to get into photography, and there I was, happy as a clam that one of my best friends was now going to be my photography buddy too! So being a Canon guy, I naturally offered him my advice to go Canon or Nikon, I lent him my camera, liked it, and got a Canon. A couple of years later and I switch to Pentax. He almost cried. Ok not really, but he did resent me for doing that, and even though I told him I wasn't quitting on Canon [in fact I'm planning/saving to get a 6D because a full frame Pentax is just a fable to me] and he's cool with me again on the photography. Since I moved to another city, he hasn't tried my Pentax. When he does, I am completely sure he will make the switch too. Other than him, I've seen other photographers of course, and met exactly zero that have a Pentax, but my I do know that my uncle once had a film Pentax SLR, probably still has it, and my aunt had/has[?] a Minolta.

The rest of the people I personally know in the world and that have ever owned a camera, SLR or not, have either Nikon, Canon, or Sony. PentaxForums is the only way I don't feel alone hehe =P

Ninja edit: I can't believe I forgot.. my own dad has a non-Canikon camera. Yashica!!! =D

Last edited by FoTom; 07-21-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Bad memory.
07-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #2292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
I only have one photography friend [truly sad] and I feel like I betrayed him a little. He wanted to get into photography, and there I was, happy as a clam that one of my best friends was now going to be my photography buddy too! So being a Canon guy, I naturally offered him my advice to go Canon or Nikon, I lent him my camera, liked it, and got a Canon. A couple of years later and I switch to Pentax. He almost cried. Ok not really, but he did resent me for doing that, and even though I told him I wasn't quitting on Canon [in fact I'm planning/saving to get a 6D because a full frame Pentax is just a fable to me] and he's cool with me again on the photography. Since I moved to another city, he hasn't tried my Pentax. When he does, I am completely sure he will make the switch too. Other than him, I've seen other photographers of course, and met exactly zero that have a Pentax, but my I do know that my uncle once had a film Pentax SLR, probably still has it, and my aunt had/has[?] a Minolta.

The rest of the people I personally know in the world and that have ever owned a camera, SLR or not, have either Nikon, Canon, or Sony. PentaxForums is the only way I don't feel alone hehe =P

Ninja edit: I can't believe I forgot.. my own dad has a non-Canikon camera. Yashica!!! =D
I see that pentax makes great cameras, but canon/nikon is not that bad, the D7000 and 7D are great cameras, sony has the A77, pretty much all the high end crops are really good just like Pentax k5 series. Pentax isn't making a FF, and while it's not "require", it's a shame because their K mount is compatible with their older lens, a FF would be perfect for this system. It's really rare to see anything other than canon/nikon, I'm a sony shooter, and I rarely see them around too .

Pentax has one of the highest price in terms of body/lens that I've seen around, that might be the reason why they're not selling as well as the bigger guys.

Sony EVF is great too, my A37 is really cool, you will almost never under/over exposed because it'll tell you before you even hit the shutter, it's quite nice.
07-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #2293

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I see that pentax makes great cameras, but canon/nikon is not that bad, the D7000 and 7D are great cameras, sony has the A77, pretty much all the high end crops are really good just like Pentax k5 series. Pentax isn't making a FF, and while it's not "require", it's a shame because their K mount is compatible with their older lens, a FF would be perfect for this system. It's really rare to see anything other than canon/nikon, I'm a sony shooter, and I rarely see them around too .

Pentax has one of the highest price in terms of body/lens that I've seen around, that might be the reason why they're not selling as well as the bigger guys.

Sony EVF is great too, my A37 is really cool, you will almost never under/over exposed because it'll tell you before you even hit the shutter, it's quite nice.
Well, I didn't say Canikons were bad, but for my taste, Pentax is the way to go. I have both Canon and Pentax, I like both and have tried and used Nikon cameras, and I just don't like them. But I know the three are great cameras. Comparing cameras side by side, though.. Canon or Nikon's most basic dSLR will be out-performed by Pentax's. Just look at the K-x vs the T3; mid-level cameras have weather sealing on Pentax and others don't; and top-level crop-sensors of Pentax rival full frame sensors of Canon. All this I've read and that's how and why I came to Pentax. With that said, I'm not leaving Canon because they do make excellent cameras and lenses and I already own some Canon equipment, and I love shooting with that =]

I don't think Pentax is more expensive than Canon, I think it's the other way around.. sure, there are cheaper Canon lenses, but are not so good. Want a nice lens? Sell a kidney and buy an L lens.

Sony cameras, on the other hand.. my experience with them has taught me to stay away from them, either point-and-shoots or dSLRs [or mirrorless], but yeah, you Sony shooters are much less common than Canon and Nikon.
07-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #2294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
Well, I didn't say Canikons were bad, but for my taste, Pentax is the way to go. I have both Canon and Pentax, I like both and have tried and used Nikon cameras, and I just don't like them. But I know the three are great cameras. Comparing cameras side by side, though.. Canon or Nikon's most basic dSLR will be out-performed by Pentax's. Just look at the K-x vs the T3; mid-level cameras have weather sealing on Pentax and others don't; and top-level crop-sensors of Pentax rival full frame sensors of Canon. All this I've read and that's how and why I came to Pentax. With that said, I'm not leaving Canon because they do make excellent cameras and lenses and I already own some Canon equipment, and I love shooting with that =]

I don't think Pentax is more expensive than Canon, I think it's the other way around.. sure, there are cheaper Canon lenses, but are not so good. Want a nice lens? Sell a kidney and buy an L lens.

Sony cameras, on the other hand.. my experience with them has taught me to stay away from them, either point-and-shoots or dSLRs [or mirrorless], but yeah, you Sony shooters are much less common than Canon and Nikon.
I kinda enjoy using sony, the lens is really cheap thanks to it's A mount from minolta (similar to pentax F mount that was kept from the old days). The high end cameras isn't bad, my A900 is probably really close to a 5Dm2, and I paid about 400 less than a 5km2 for a used mint one (2000 shutter count). Got quite a few decent lens for it for really cheap too, while not having the same quality as the L lens, it's close enough to keep me happy and still have money left for lunch . The low end sony is trash but the high end isn't bad, at minimum they really try to change the way people uses camera, they went into the EVF route when no one wants to, and honestly my A37 EVF is more useful than my 100% coverage pentaprism OVF on the A900.
07-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #2295

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I kinda enjoy using sony, the lens is really cheap thanks to it's A mount from minolta (similar to pentax F mount that was kept from the old days). The high end cameras isn't bad, my A900 is probably really close to a 5Dm2, and I paid about 400 less than a 5km2 for a used mint one (2000 shutter count). Got quite a few decent lens for it for really cheap too, while not having the same quality as the L lens, it's close enough to keep me happy and still have money left for lunch . The low end sony is trash but the high end isn't bad, at minimum they really try to change the way people uses camera, they went into the EVF route when no one wants to, and honestly my A37 EVF is more useful than my 100% coverage pentaprism OVF on the A900.
Well, I always say that the camera matters not. Sure some have their advantages/disadvantages against other cameras, but in the end, the final photo is dictated by the photographer. I've taken really good pictures with those low end Sony thrash cameras, and awful photos with a Canon 1Ds, so yeah.. =] It's great that Sony has worked for you, I'm sure that being a descendant of Minolta, in a way, the lenses are fantastic. Hmm I wonder if there's a way to attach those lenses to Canon or Pentax mounts.. =P